Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #677 of 4,022
I think you are right. I remembered I was very disappointed when I first got my SE530 (I was using a pair of E4C before that), I thought the E4C were so much better in comparison. I didn't really know anything about burning-in IEMs back then, but after about a month or 2 of using them, the sound of the SE530 were so much better; there were so much more details in the hi-mid and high frequencies they were like a different pair of earphones altogether.

Your ear has a short memeory and if you use more than one phone it blows the brain/ear memeory thing all together. Your ear will accomidate a sig but it will happen in about the first 10 mins you listen to any product but it will need to do it again every time it's used so I agree with the physical & psychological conditions present at any given moment  assessment but not to the point of placebo. Break in is real but can vary a lot by product. Lets call it IMO but I've compared two 530s and could easily pick the green one from the used one blind.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #678 of 4,022
No, I think they were recommending them to me because of the cable and construction, that's what I was most concerned about, they thought. And to be honest, I think they are right, the clear version looked and felt much tougher, sound-wise, I think they are very similar.

Quote:
Did they actually say the 'clear' ones sound better?

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #679 of 4,022

Quote:
That's fine in general but blind picking a green from used se530 is somewhat empirical. It did become difficult to pick once there was a couple hundred hours on the new pair.

That's really not even close to somewhat and it doesn't verify the existence of burn-in as a phenomenon, although you're welcome to believe in it. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #681 of 4,022

Quote:
ROTFLMAO!  They probably said their transparency was unmatchable.....and such clear treble.

Hey! Don't make fun... clarity is important! It's why I bought mine.
ksc75smile.gif

wink_face.gif

From what I've read the other set is too dark and metalic sounding.

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #682 of 4,022

And your welcome to not. Double blind is as good as it gets without measurements. It is certainly better than no it's not.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I do know the ear can discern more than can be measured or perhaps we don't always know how to correlate the proper measurement.

I wont believe in gravity until you can tell me how it works either if that makes you feel better. You can't measure it directly either, only it's effects on other things. jk Really, I'm happy to agree to disagree but it's pretty significant on most electronics ... for me.

Quote:

That's really not even close to somewhat and it doesn't verify the existence of burn-in as a phenomenon, although you're welcome to believe in it. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #683 of 4,022
Guess what fellas, I have the SE535s in my ears finally!!! Actually, I don't have a lot of first impressions as I normally have. I have the medium olives on, and I need the larger ones, but not in a location where I can transfer tips right now.

I can say that the the treble does seem to be better than I remember with the 530s. Bass is less than the SM3 or SM2, but it's there (so that fear alleviated). It's a more balanced sound than the Earsonics and more space. I'm indifferent to the sound at the moment. will require more listening time. I do remember that with the 530 i felt the need to use the eq, whereas not so much with the other other IEMs I've owned. Don't know if I need to eq settings with the 535 yet.

Will give more initial impressions later.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #684 of 4,022
@ ericp buddy , you will have to get hold of your friends SE530 at some point and do a side by side comparison and tell me if its worth getting the SE535 when i still have the SE530 , looking forward to more impressions as you announce them and as you have so many new iem's at the moment hope you don't forget which one you are listening to and post your impressions under the wrong iem's name .LOL 
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #685 of 4,022
Hey ericp10...
Obviously Luco and I are hanging on every word.  (on BOTH threads!) 
wink_face.gif

Look forward to more in-depth critical reviews.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #686 of 4,022
^^
Yea the one BIG thing i noticed between the 535 and SM3 was the "air" and space imaging.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #687 of 4,022
I was wondering when you would get them eric. You now have to to do a lot of comparisons now over the next couple days between SM3, SM2 and SE535 which should be fun for you and interesting to read for myself
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #688 of 4,022

Quote:
I was wondering when you would get them eric. You now have to to do a lot of comparisons now over the next couple days between SM3, SM2 and SE535 which should be fun for you and interesting to read for myself
ksc75smile.gif

Why stop there?  He has Fx700s and DDMs too!

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #690 of 4,022
LOL @ you guys. One thing I can tell you right off the back @ luco, the SE535 definitely has more high end extension and clarity than the the 530s did. This is quite clear to me without having the 530s in my ears and switching back and forth. Aesthetically, the 535 is pleasing to the eye, and I must concur with the earlier purchasers, it has to be the best made universal IEM I've ever seen from cable to earphone casings. The cable looks and feels wonderful, and I'm glad Shure put some memory wire on the part of the cable that goes around your ear. 

Okay, I'm home finally. Time to play with some tips and get a better grip on the 535's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back