Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #646 of 4,022
Thinking of upgrading to these from my Shure SE530's. Instead of reading through a billion posts, could anyone let me know exactly what kind of differences I'd notice going from the SE530 in terms of auto quality? Main thing I'm after is slightly sharper highs and maybe slightly more controlled bass. Though to be fair, aside from those two things the SE530 has been wonderful to me.

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #647 of 4,022

Quote:
Thinking of upgrading to these from my Shure SE530's. Instead of reading through a billion posts, could anyone let me know exactly what kind of differences I'd notice going from the SE530 in terms of auto quality? Main thing I'm after is slightly sharper highs and maybe slightly more controlled bass. Though to be fair, aside from those two things the SE530 has been wonderful to me.

Thanks.

The first 5 pages should have both Sypro's an my impressions (post #59).

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #648 of 4,022
Hey Spyro & MacedonianHero, greetings to you both - long time no see!

Been following this thread right from the start. You'll probably remember my utter dislike for the SE530, mostly its build quality, terrible cables & extensions, tacky looks AND rolled-off highs.

Well, it's been 14/15 months with my ES3X now, and up until today I keep telling myself how great these are; yeah, rather than taking them for granted after all this time, I rather appreciate them more and more each day.

Both of you, specially Spyro, may remember how much I loved my UM3X, which shared a lot of SQ qualities with my ES3X. Well, I sold the former 8 months ago, basically because the latter were always an obvious choice SQ-wise, but also the cable and build quality added to that choice.

However, I've been meaning to get a top-tier universal as a backup for a while now and as you probably know (from my posts on the rather peculiar new SM3 thread) I'll be getting the SM3 in the next few days. I got the IE8 earlier, and though a good IEM, it just wasn't my cup of tea -- claims of this huge soundstage (specially) when compared to the UM3X were vastly exaggerated, amongst other claims. Also, the bass & mids, IMO, could not touch the UM3X. But hey, by now you both know that you really have to try things out for yourself. The opinions of others, specially those with a high post-count and good command of audio jargon happen to influence a lot of people and...well suddenly certain things become a given, when perhaps in reality they shouldn't.

So, reading posts by both of you plus changes in build quality, design & cables in the new SE535 made me purchase a set earlier today. I should be getting them roughly at the same time as my SM3s. My aim is to keep only one, but if not convinced, I'll sell both.

I'll try to be dead honest with my impressions in both threads -- not much jargon, not my style really (or maybe I'm not really able to articulate such impressions that well) -- and will compare what I hear with my ES3X and what I still remember from (mostly) my UM3X and to a lesser extent the W3 & SE530s.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #649 of 4,022
Hey...that's great. The SE535s are my favourite universal IEMs. I've owned too many over the years, but these ones are keepers. I did like the SM3s when I heard them, but overall, I wanted a more neutral IEM to compliment my W3s and the SE535s fit that bill a little better for me.

Let us know....One thing, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by the solid construction. These have to be the most indestructible IEMs I've seen.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #650 of 4,022
No kidding just got the SM3's today and the 535s wire seems like a tank whereas the SM3's is like a hummer.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #651 of 4,022

Quote:
Hey...that's great. The SE535s are my favourite universal IEMs. I've owned too many over the years, but these ones are keepers. I did like the SM3s when I heard them, but overall, I wanted a more neutral IEM to compliment my W3s and the SE535s fit that bill a little better for me.

Let us know....One thing, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by the solid construction. These have to be the most indestructible IEMs I've seen.

Hi there MD, sounds very promising. In all fairness, though, one thing I did like a lot about the IE8 was the build quality AND the deatachable cables. Also, the ATH-CK10 had impeccable build quality all round, but unfortunately a bit bright sounding for my taste.

Could you please confirm the cable is actually 64" long and that it has no extension? When I read the specs somewhere I couldn't believe it. That's too long for most people, I thought, but great news to me. In fact, I always ordered the longer 64" cables for my customs as opposed to the standard 48". I think Shure also sell a (much) shorter cable?

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #652 of 4,022

Quote:

Hi there MD, sounds very promising. In all fairness, though, one thing I did like a lot about the IE8 was the build quality AND the deatachable cables. Also, the ATH-CK10 had impeccable build quality all round, but unfortunately a bit bright sounding for my taste.

Could you please confirm the cable is actually 64" long and that it has no extension? When I read the specs somewhere I couldn't believe it. That's too long for most people, I thought, but great news to me. In fact, I always ordered the longer 64" cables for my customs as opposed to the standard 48". I think Shure also sell a (much) shorter cable?

Cable is LONG haven't measured it but I think it may be 64" long, I am 6' 2" so I can approximate. There is no extension it is just normally that long. Cable length may be a bother for shorter people but perfect for me.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #653 of 4,022

Quote:

Cable is LONG haven't measured it but I think it may be 64" long, I am 6' 2" so I can approximate. There is no extension it is just normally that long. Cable length may be a bother for shorter people but perfect for me.

^^

What he said (only I'm 5'11") and the cable is plenty long (with NO extension).

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #654 of 4,022
^^ Thank you both! Hey, I'm also 6'2" -- A detachable cable with no extension?...Yeeeeha!! I'll now just have to wait and see (or rather hear) the differences in SQ and decide which goes more with my particular sound sig preferences.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #655 of 4,022

Quote:
^^ Thank you both! Hey, I'm also 6'2" -- A detachable cable with no extension?...Yeeeeha!! I'll now just have to wait and see (or rather hear) the differences in SQ and decide which goes more with my particular sound sig preferences.

If you loved the UM3x I have a feeling that you will love the 535s, not so much the SM3s.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #656 of 4,022
^^ Well, I must admit I'm a little concerned about the SM3's bass. I've no doubt it's very good, but 'fear' it might it be a bit too much for my taste. I thought the UM3X was just about right and the ES3X has slightly better extension. There's been mention of the similarities between the UM3X & SM3, but...

--------------

BTW, this is my 1,500th post and I have to say that I absolutely hate, or rather detest the term Headphoneus Supremous. I wish I could just go back to having 200/ 300/ 500 posts, but having sold a few pieces of gear and bumping those threads sometimes for a few months -- and apart from quite a few useless, unnecessary and at times clueless posts -- has just added to my extraordinary post-count.

Well, Ladies, Gentlemen & fellow Head-Fi'ers, please give a round of applause to your latest Headphoneus Supremous.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #657 of 4,022

Quote:
^^ Well, I must admit I'm a little concerned about the SM3's bass. I've no doubt it's very good, but 'fear' it might it be a bit too much for my taste. I thought the UM3X was just about right and the ES3X has slightly better extension. There's been mention of the similarities between the UM3X & SM3, but...

--------------

BTW, this is my 1,500th post and I have to say that I absolutely hate, or rather detest the term Headphoneus Supremous. I wish I could just go back to having 200/ 300/ 500 posts, but having sold a few pieces of gear and bumping those threads sometimes for a few months -- and apart from quite a few useless, unnecessary and at times clueless posts -- has just added to my extraordinary post-count.

Well, Ladies, Gentlemen & fellow Head-Fi'ers, please give a round of applause to your latest Headphoneus Supremous.

^^^ sorry to burst your bubble, but I still see "1000+ Headfier".

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #658 of 4,022

Quote:

--------------

Hmm I was under the impression that the W3 and the SM3s were more similar than the UM3x. Two more people will have the 535s and SM3s interesting to see what the perspectives will be.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #660 of 4,022
The W3's treble seems to be more prominent compared with the SM3s, and the mids a little more recessed as well as was the case with the differences between the W3 & UM3X. The mids, the main frequency, IMO, and a not so pronounced treble is what attracts me to the SM3 plus cable type with no microphonics (though not detachable!) and the ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back