Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #691 of 4,022
Keep those tantalizing impressions coming ericp, we Need More ! 
popcorn.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #692 of 4,022
How long is the memory wire? If it has memory wire along with a thick cable it probably will piss me off a lot more than anything. I hate the one on my ES cable mostly because of my glasses.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #693 of 4,022

Cable is thinner (but sturdy) as it passes through the lines separator. Memory wire is maybe 2 and a half inches long straight.
Quote:
How long is the memory wire? If it has memory wire along with a thick cable it probably will piss me off a lot more than anything. I hate the one on my ES cable mostly because of my glasses.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #694 of 4,022

Quote:
@ ericp buddy , you will have to get hold of your friends SE530 at some point and do a side by side comparison and tell me if its worth getting the SE535 when i still have the SE530 , looking forward to more impressions as you announce them and as you have so many new iem's at the moment hope you don't forget which one you are listening to and post your impressions under the wrong iem's name .LOL 
beerchug.gif

x10

we need a definitive the 530 / 535 sound exactly the same or not

oh and if you say they are different my wallet is going to hunt you down and beat you with a stick  
deadhorse.gif
just like that

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #695 of 4,022

Quote:

Yes, my friend... my glasses do not like memory wire at all. Another reason I like the UM2 - SM3 cable. thin and very light.
The wired part of the SE535 is thinner than the one on the UE trip fi5 pro., so it's better, just not great. It increases microphonics when I work out as my glasses frames will bounce or knock against them and the sound will go straight into the earphone.

Some really like the wire. I find it to be the biggest negative about the SE535.

Oh... and it's long enough to wrap entirely down to my ear lobe.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #698 of 4,022
Cables are of the same size just one clear and one black.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #700 of 4,022

[size=medium]
So, head-fi buddies (to those who aren't offended by the terminology) and other fellow head-fiers, I have had the SE535s in my ears for a good hour, switching them from time to time with the Earsonics, both SM3 and SM2. This is not my detailed impressions that are forthcoming, so I will refer to the Earsonics IEMs together as compared to the 535 - since the Earsonics earphones aren't really that much different from each other in sound sig IMO.

So I'll say right off the back that I prefer the SM? sound sig over the 535's sound sig in general. This is really a matter of personal taste and preference, and doesn't reflect negatively on the SE535 at all. With that said, there is quite a bit to enjoy in the Shure SE535 sound sig over the SM3/2. For one, the whole sound spectrum is not so upclose and personal with the 535. There is more space between the listener and the performance. Is the Shure soundstage wider than the Earsonics? Yes, but that isn't as important to me as it once was. This simply means that the 535 gives you more of a dynamic of watching the musicians at a concert more so than being on stage with them or in the studio. 

The SE535 is far less warm sounding than the Earsonics, although I never felt the SM3/2 was really warm as compared to the Monster Pros. The sound of the 535 is much clearer and more transparent than the SM3/2. In some areas you hear more details in the 535 than the SM3/2 (high mids for example). The treble is more forward in the Shures than the Earsonics. There is more shimmer when cymbal are struck in the 535. Is there more details in the highs? I'm not too sure about this, because although the SM3 highs can be a bit recessed (especially with the wrong tips), you can still hear a lot of minute details in the Earsonics' highs.

Where the SM3/2 beat the SE535 hands down is the weight it puts on the bass and mid instruments - especially bass, acoustic guitar, strings and piano. It just feels like you're in the room with those instruments when being plucked and/or strummed. And this is probably the main reason I like the Earsonics more.

Vocally, there is more weight and detail in the Earsonics' vocals, but that not to say the Shure vocals aren't detailed and/or nice, they are. As I've said earlier, instruments blend together more cohesively within the 535 than the SM3/2, which is a plus for the Shure.

So I declared early that I prefer the Earsonics SM3/2 over the SE535, but it certainly doesn't mean I dislike the Shure IEM. Quite to the contrary, I like the 535 more than I ever recalled liking and enjoying the SE530. Why is that? Well, I think the extension in the treble contributes to this feeling a great deal. I like the smooth blending of the sound sig a great deal also. I do plan on getting my old 530s from my friend in the near future and do a more comprehensive comparing of the Shure 5s. But, again, I can tell instantly about the better treble extension.

I think in the end, this is going to be about which sound sig you enjoy more if you don't plan to keep both the Earsonics and Shure. I think the Earsonics'  bass being close to the sound of a dynamic driver bass like the FX700 and DDM gives it an edge with me. But there is so much I like about the SE535 - including the build quality - that kind of makes me feel that I wouldn't put them up for sale. And I can honestly say I like the 535 a lot in just a couple of hours of hearing them, whereas it took me almost a year and a half to really appreciate the sound of the 530. 

I should also add that bass is there inside of the SE535, but not in the massive quantities produced by the SM3/2. the SE535 kind of reminds me of the e-Q7 in some ways. The bass is definitely a few notches deeper than the e-Q7's bass, but the Shure mids is maybe a notch below the Orto's mids in detail and clarity. I think vocals wise, Shure is better than the e-Q7. The 535 has very nice decay with its instrument presentation. It took a while for the 530 to open up and really blossom for me, so I expect the same with the 535. 

I kind of see the SM3/2 vs. the SE535 in the same vein as I see the SM3/2 vs. the FX700. There are enough good qualities in both to make them both worth keeping. But I also realized earlier that if I was to sell the SM3, SM2, FX700, DDM and SE535 now, I would have enough money for a nice pair of JH top-of-the-line customs. But would I want one great expensive custom to satisfy my listening needs, or do I enjoy the variety of sound sigs and timbres currently available to me?  I think I enjoy the variety of sound sigs I possess right now. I own five top tier universal IEMs, and like a proud father who loves all of his children - no matter how different their personalities are - is how I am feeling about my various top tiers right now.

So, I love the Earsonics quite a bit, but I heavily like the SE535 at this point. I think if there's anyone out there who heard the 530 and really liked it, well you will love the SE535. It has been tweaked nicely without throwing its original sound signature away. The 535 still needs many more hours in my ears, of course, to get a definitive feel and liking of it.
[/size]

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #701 of 4,022

lol @ luco. See, I don't know how objective I'm being for you and Mark. I didn't care for the SE530 that much (I didn't hate but it didn't ring my bell). I am liking the SE535 right off the back. So what does this mean? Over four or five months of not having the SE530 did my brain suddenly adjust to the Shure sound and now like it? I definitely have no problem selling it quickly if I don't like it. The only reason I can deduce at this point is that Shure changed the sound sig. slightly to my liking. I can definitely tell the treble has been tweaked for the better!!
Quote:
@ ericp ,and if the se535  & se530 are different is it £170 worth of difference ?
etysmile.gif
 and if you say it is ,when mark has finished hitting you with his stick it will be my turn 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #702 of 4,022
Well what earphone really has more warmth than that of the Monsters esp the MD? I have yet to hear one that has more warmth than that one and I've heard a good number but that may or may not be a bad thing.

How much more bass does the SE535 have compared to the e-Q7 from memory. It does sound like Shure has finally made something that suits my signature which may not be good for me but I'm still a bit hesitant since I really do not like memory wire. How's the timbre on these and how do they reproduce cymbals such as the crash and ride and the decay to go with those two?

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #703 of 4,022

Quote:
Well what earphone really has more warmth than that of the Monsters esp the MD? I have yet to hear one that has more warmth than that one and I've heard a good number but that may or may not be a bad thing.

How much more bass does the SE535 have compared to the e-Q7 from memory. It does sound like Shure has finally made something that suits my signature which may not be good for me but I'm still a bit hesitant since I really do not like memory wire. How's the timbre on these and how do they reproduce cymbals such as the crash and ride and the decay to go with those two?

Memory wire is only for the ear lobe piece. I actually find it quite useful when I am at the gym.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #704 of 4,022
^

I know. I have a similar memory wire on my ES cable where it is pretty short and I hate it. I would cut it off but I can see value in it on my ES cable since it is a custom. Memory wire in general just doesn't go well with me regardless of length.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #705 of 4,022
EDIT: Eric which do you prefer the e-Q7 or the 535s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back