Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #4,006 of 4,022
I got the 535 due to the current low prices, as I wanted a narrow-nozzled IEMs I could wear where fitting it wasn't a process (with other IEMs I NEED to use foam tips).

But the cable on these is horrendous. 267The low-priced version came with the BT cable, which I have no use for, and the awful heat-shrink able with a mic.
The heat-shrink makes it impossible to fit the IEMS correctly when wearing glasses. It's just bad.

I'd like to get a new cable for these. I have plenty of MMCX-connector IEMs (including my favorites, the Etymotics ER4s) so I can justify something here.
I have a SuperBax with IPS connector for my two CIEM pairs and I really like it, but it's a 200+ cable which is expensive.

I don't need balanced; just a regular, comfortable, decent 3.5mm MMCX aftermarket cable so that I can start listening to my Shures...
Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,007 of 4,022
I got the 535 due to the current low prices, as I wanted a narrow-nozzled IEMs I could wear where fitting it wasn't a process (with other IEMs I NEED to use foam tips).

But the cable on these is horrendous. The low-priced version came with the BT cable, which I have no use for, and the awful memory-wired cable with a mic.
The memory wire makes it impossible to fit the IEMS correctly when wearing glasses. It's just bad.

I'd like to get a new cable for these. I have plenty of MMCX-connector IEMs (including my favorites, the Etymotics ER4s) so I can justify something here.
I have a SuperBax with IPS connector for my two CIEM pairs and I really like it, but it's a 200+ cable which is expensive.

I don't need balanced; just a regular, comfortable, decent 3.5mm MMCX aftermarket cable so that I can start listening to my Shures...
Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
This is a fairly decent cable.
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/accesories/products/tripowin-c8

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #4,010 of 4,022
I was super lucky to get these on sale for $200 from a Shure authorized seller. Yep, 2 years warranty baby.

they might sound overly warm or rolled off highs for some people, but I see it as less fatiguing for stage monitoring.

heres a neat trick. if you remove the filters from the nozzles and use etymotic ER38-18cl tips, they turn into a whole different beast.
Sounds like the ER4, but a more musical version. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #4,011 of 4,022
I was super lucky to get these on sale for $200 from a Shure authorized seller. Yep, 2 years warranty baby.

they might sound overly warm or rolled off highs for some people, but I see it as less fatiguing for stage monitoring.

heres a neat trick. if you remove the filters from the nozzles and use etymotic ER38-18cl tips, they turn into a whole different beast.
Sounds like the ER4, but a more musical version. I highly recommend it.
Or, instead of removing the dampening filter completely, you could try swapping different ones to adjust the sound.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se5...re-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers.663273/

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #4,014 of 4,022
Where can i buy new foam sleeves for the SE535?
If you want the stock foam tips, search for EABKF1. I used to buy these for my Shure IEMs until I switched to silicone tips.

They are as low as $13 for 5 pairs currently in the US and sold at a number of different stores online inclusing Amazon, B&H, Sweetwater, Zzounds, Audio46, etc. (I just did a quick Google search). Official Shure search site below:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/eabkf1

If you want to try aftermarket tips, Comply and Dekoni probably have some that are compatible.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #4,017 of 4,022
Hi .. owning 535 long time ago - about 9 years .. the stock cable went dead after 4 years and i replaced it with a cable from a chinese brand silver plated - very flexible and tangle free and looked awesome as it was silver plated and transparent .. and last about 2 years or so .. then i ordered a generic cable with no name very thin black one but comfortable then after putting my shures on .. Where the heck bass is gone ???!!! It was like some how the extention and weight of bass took a serious dip ... Upper mids and treble became slightly harsh !!! ..
My question is : is that possible ?! And how !! The cable is working .. their is no crckling or cutting in sound !! Is it possible that the cable affect the sound that much ??Or may be my shures got old enough and need to be replaced?!

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #4,018 of 4,022
Hi .. owning 535 long time ago - about 9 years .. the stock cable went dead after 4 years and i replaced it with a cable from a chinese brand silver plated - very flexible and tangle free and looked awesome as it was silver plated and transparent .. and last about 2 years or so .. then i ordered a generic cable with no name very thin black one but comfortable then after putting my shures on .. Where the heck bass is gone ???!!! It was like some how the extention and weight of bass took a serious dip ... Upper mids and treble became slightly harsh !!! ..
My question is : is that possible ?! And how !! The cable is working .. their is no crckling or cutting in sound !! Is it possible that the cable affect the sound that much ??Or may be my shures got old enough and need to be replaced?!
Yeah, it’s possible—cables can make a big difference. If you went from really high end to really low end cables, it could sound like your IEM’s are dying, but they might be fine. Test with some other cables before throwing out those beautiful 535’s!

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #4,020 of 4,022
More than likely the cable is defective. There is probably a miswiring so that the + and - are reversed on one channel. I don't buy that simple cable differences will yield that much of a difference in sound quality.
Alright.. this is simple .. i have a multimeter when i go home i will check that .. thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back