Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #3,991 of 4,022
Hey People,

I am looking to trade my SE535 for a good dac if anyone is interested. I'm interested in dacs like the chord mojo, oppo HA 2, ifi xDSD or any other good dacs out there. If you have something that isn't a dac that you might want to trade with, I would also be open to hearing you out. The sennheiser HD700 is also among my interests. I recently got the campfire audio Atlas so my use for the shures have been limited. I would prefer trading but if you want to buy them outright, let me know too.

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #3,993 of 4,022
Tough to say. I own the 535's, but recently purchased the Tin Audio T3's and find them more listenable long term. The 535's can be a little brutal on the ears. Also, you must have a very low output impedance amp/phone or they sound dull, and their sensitivity will point out any hiss or hum in your system.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,994 of 4,022
Also, you must have a very low output impedance amp/phone or they sound dull...

Huh? The SE535 and SE535LTD are spec'd with 36 ohm impedance at 1 kHz, which is actually pretty high for an IEM. Using the rule of thumb of having an amp impedance of 1/8th of the 'phone, would be ideal for an amp with less-than 5 ohms of output impedance, which is common with today's desktop amps (many are WAY less, like the Dragonfly is < 1 ohm).

In practice you shouldn't have any problems with a headphone with impedance between 20 to 60-70 ohms on most portable devices, like phones that still have a headphone jack.

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,995 of 4,022
Huh? The SE535 and SE535LTD are spec'd with 36 ohm impedance at 1 kHz, which is actually pretty high for an IEM. Using the rule of thumb of having an amp impedance of 1/8th of the 'phone, would be ideal for an amp with less-than 5 ohms of output impedance, which is common with today's desktop amps (many are WAY less, like the Dragonfly is < 1 ohm).

In practice you shouldn't have any problems with a headphone with impedance between 20 to 60-70 ohms on most portable devices, like phones that still have a headphone jack.

Many amps have higher than optimum output impedance and the Shures have a problem with them. My comment was meant only to make prospective purchasers aware of the issue. You may be correct about phones having very low impedance, but it can't hurt to check it out.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #3,996 of 4,022

SE535 impedance changes across the spectrum (8 ohms at 5kHz).

Plus rule of eight applies to dynamic transducers, not much to balanced armature technology in which electrical damping is much less of an issue.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #3,997 of 4,022
I can only relate my experiences on this. Running the SE535 out of the headphone jack on any stereo receiver or integrated amp yields muddy, dark sound with little high frequency extension. Running from my phone or from a Schiit Magni 3 was night-and-day better. I built a speaker out to headphone adapter that showed the amp a 15 ohm load and the headphones a 3 ohm source and that, too, was better.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #3,998 of 4,022
I can only relate my experiences on this. Running the SE535 out of the headphone jack on any stereo receiver or integrated amp yields muddy, dark sound with little high frequency extension. Running from my phone or from a Schiit Magni 3 was night-and-day better. I built a speaker out to headphone adapter that showed the amp a 15 ohm load and the headphones a 3 ohm source and that, too, was better.

Shure SE535 sound great out of Apple 9$ dongle which has a pitch black background and has a perfect 0'3 ohms of output impedance.

Apple spends 4+ billions a quarter on I+D and it pays off.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #4,003 of 4,022
Do you have any preferred sound signature? I like the fiio fh5, they have good tonality and a fun sound signature. The bass slams with good impact extends very deep, which is very rare at that price range.

If you want clarity and details, you can go for the ety er 4xr or the massdrop plus.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, I like clarity, and I have already the Ety ER4SR. My favorite IEM is the GR07 BE, and overall headphone would be the HD600. I am thinking about the FH5 as you said or the FA7. Maybe something from Final Audio... so many options now days.

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #4,004 of 4,022
Check out the various chifi threads. Fearless seem popular as do bgvp dm6 and 7.

Anyone able to perform some direct comparisons? I remember the 535 being fun and warm but I don't own them any more.

These days I have a whole bunch of Chi-Fi stuff that sounds at least as good if not better than I remember the 535 ever being... but I can't check to make sure :p

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,005 of 4,022
I have the Tin T3 and the KZ-ES4. The KZ isn't even close to the 535, it's boomy and has an awful metallic high end. The Tin T3 is a nice sounding IEM that provides a different, sometimes more enjoyable, presentation than the Shure. The T3 is more V-shaped than the Shure so highs and lows are elevated relative to the mids. Cymbals and other high frequencies on the T3 sound hotter than the Shure and cymbals sometimes sound like they are sizzler cymbals (cymbals with rivets installed) while on the Shure they sound natural. The Shures have a much more prominent midrange and, when compared directly to the T3's, initially give the impression of sounding too forward and lacking in highs. That impression goes away as your ears adjust, though. I say that the T3s are sometimes more enjoyable because their V-shape can be easier to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back