Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,376 of 4,022
  I bought some of clear SE535's as an everyday pair. I'm using the brown filters - very nice balanced sound.

I simply can't get on with the memory wire though. Over the last 4 weeks I've tried various tips, various seating positions in the ear and tried changing to the memory wire to tight round ears, fairly loose, and everything in between.

The comfortable spot for me is twist the earphone slightly more (anti-clockwise).

So i ask, does anyone know of an aftermarket cable that doesn't have the memory wire? An upgrade from the original would be nice too, budget of around £100-180 but if i can get a better than stock that fits the bill for less, then great.

Thanks guys,

I'm using Effect Audio Thor Copper, very nice cable and ergonomics wise tons better than the stock cable. Not sure if I hear any difference in sound, highs may be a bit crisper.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,378 of 4,022
  I bought some of clear SE535's as an everyday pair. I'm using the brown filters - very nice balanced sound.

I simply can't get on with the memory wire though. Over the last 4 weeks I've tried various tips, various seating positions in the ear and tried changing to the memory wire to tight round ears, fairly loose, and everything in between.

The comfortable spot for me is twist the earphone slightly more (anti-clockwise).

So i ask, does anyone know of an aftermarket cable that doesn't have the memory wire? An upgrade from the original would be nice too, budget of around £100-180 but if i can get a better than stock that fits the bill for less, then great.

Thanks guys,

Before purchasing any cables, you can try removing the memory wire from the stock cable yourself.  If you want, you can follow how I removed mine (stock SE846 memory wire) under "Cable Woes and Solution" in my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves review (below in my signature).

I like Ted Allen's Silver Litz cables from headphonelounge.com, but they do come with a memory wire, albeit a thinner wire.

Regarding trying sizes-fit-all tips, if you have any more issues and can't find the perfect spot and have the perfect feel for you, maybe you can try looking into the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  This is an investment, but if you truly enjoy your SE535, the SCS may be with a look.  If you choose to purchase the SCS for the SE535, note the sleeves will work with the same housing size body Shure IEMs (SE215, SE315, SE425, and SE535LTD), but will not be compatible with the SE846 if you choose to purchase that IEM and attempt to use the SCS with the SE846 since the housing size body is different.

Good luck with your cable and tip or sleeve comfort endeavors. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,379 of 4,022

Before purchasing any cables, you can try removing the memory wire from the stock cable yourself.  If you want, you can follow how I removed mine (stock SE846 memory wire) under "Cable Woes and Solution" in my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves review (below in my signature).

I like Ted Allen's Silver Litz cables from headphonelounge.com, but they do come with a memory wire, albeit a thinner wire.

Regarding trying sizes-fit-all tips, if you have any more issues and can't find the perfect spot and have the perfect feel for you, maybe you can try looking into the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  This is an investment, but if you truly enjoy your SE535, the SCS may be with a look.  If you choose to purchase the SCS for the SE535, note the sleeves will work with the same housing size body Shure IEMs (SE215, SE315, SE425, and SE535LTD), but will not be compatible with the SE846 if you choose to purchase that IEM and attempt to use the SCS with the SE846 since the housing size body is different.

Good luck with your cable and tip or sleeve comfort endeavors. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I just received a notification on my phone about this reply. Whilst I was on the sensaphonics website thinking custom sleeves may be a better option to get the desired comfort i'm looking for.

I just tried the hollow rubber medium tips and they feel much better, there isn't that complete shut off feeling you get from the memory foam type but it feels like there is less pressure on the walls of my ear.

I don't have a problem with the SQ with the current cable, so investing into another one due a comfort issue seems like a lot to spend to inadvertently solve my issue with the memory wire. As you say, it would probably make more sense to try and mod this cable. But it might not even need modding if i got some custom sleeves...

You're spot on with this advice, thank you. I think custom sleeves would be the best solution, and actually, i don't think the prices are un reasonable at all. I wonder if Noble will send me back my impressions, i could then forward them onto sensaphonic.

Lot's to think about ....

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3,380 of 4,022

I just received a notification on my phone about this reply. Whilst I was on the sensaphonics website thinking custom sleeves may be a better option to get the desired comfort i'm looking for.

I just tried the hollow rubber medium tips and they feel much better, there isn't that complete shut off feeling you get from the memory foam type but it feels like there is less pressure on the walls of my ear.

I don't have a problem with the SQ with the current cable, so investing into another one due a comfort issue seems like a lot to spend to inadvertently solve my issue with the memory wire. As you say, it would probably make more sense to try and mod this cable. But it might not even need modding if i got some custom sleeves...

You're spot on with this advice, thank you. I think custom sleeves would be the best solution, and actually, i don't think the prices are un reasonable at all. I wonder if Noble will send me back my impressions, i could then forward them onto sensaphonic.

It might be best to have new impressions done for each product. Best to ask sensaphonics about that.  That said if you want to go ahead it might be possible for Noble to forward your impressions on to sensaphonics themselves.  Worth a shout to find out I'd of thought!

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,381 of 4,022

I just received a notification on my phone about this reply. Whilst I was on the sensaphonics website thinking that may be a better options.

I just tried the hollow rubber medium tips and they feel much better with these, there isn't that complete shut off feeling you get from the memory foam type but it feels like there is less pressure.

I don't have a problem with the SQ, and as you say, it would probably make more sense to try and mod this cable slightly. But it might not even need modding if i got some custom sleeves...

Happy to help, jam86.  I do not think that using custom sleeves will fully alleviate the memory wire issue, though.  My SE846 housing does not touch my ears with the SCS, but the memory wire was still annoying me, hence, using the razor and pliers to remove the memory wire, which helped out a lot with overall comfort.  The memory wire of the Silver Litz is thinner, so it doesn't bug me nearly as much as the stock SE846 cable's memory wire.  Taking out the stock cable memory wire first will definitely save you money from purchasing a 3rd party cable.

It's great you think that the prices aren't unreasonable.  If you can receive your impressions from Noble, that will definitely help out with not having to pay for additional costs such as impressions fees and transportation costs to see the audiologist (again).  However, if your impressions were created using a bite block, I would have an audiologist create new impressions for the SCS.  I did not use a bite block for my impressions, and if you have your audiologist follow these directions: http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf, you'll have the best percentage chance of having suitable impressions for the SCS.  I am not sure where you live, but if you can, try to see a Sensaphonics Gold Circle Audiologist.  The network of the SGCAs are here: http://www.sensaphonics.com/sensaphonics-audiologist-network.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,382 of 4,022
I have the moon audio silver dragon v1 and it came with memory wire. Luckily i bought it second hand and the person before me had cut it out. Did a excellent job on doing so and i must say its a super compfortable cable you dont even notice you are wearing it not to mention it produces excellent sound quality. Well worth it imo.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,383 of 4,022

Thanks guys,
try the iPod cable made by Shure... About 4' long, has the iPod inline controls, and does NOT have memory wire. Also is thinner.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,384 of 4,022
try the iPod cable made by Shure... About 4' long, has the iPod inline controls, and does NOT have memory wire. Also is thinner.

That is an option, but since the cable is the same material as the stock cable (not the same as the stock SE846 cable), I would wager the sound isn't as overall coherent as a 3rd party cable (like a Silver Litz), or even a nickel-plated SE846 stock cable.

Also, for my preferences at least, 4 feet is just too short for a cable.  60 inches (e.g. the EarWerkz stock cable) or 64 inches (e.g. the stock SE846 cable) are much better lengths for my wants and needs.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,386 of 4,022
Its really not bad if you can find something round and then contour it arou d whatever it is you found and do it for both cable connectors you can live with it.

But i do admit they can be annoying if you dont get them just right.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,387 of 4,022
I've been out of the head-fi scene for quite some time, and so I'm wondering if there's any consensus on the best cable replacements for the Shure SE535? Any known brands/manufacturers that have good synergy? I really hated the memory wire on the stock cable (I removed it), so I'd strongly prefer if the replacement cable didn't have one as well. I also prefer straight plugs, a thin cable, and discrete sleeving (i.e., no flashy crap). Looking to spend about 300 max. Any suggestions? Remember -- I'm looking for consensus, not some plug for whatever cable you personally own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,388 of 4,022

I've read the information. I'll be doing this tonight. I'll take it slow, and really try to avoid scoring or cutting into the headphone cable itself. I notice the hook inside the MMCX connector base, hopefully that'll come out with a wiggle and without scratching or destroying the housing...

This may solve my issues, because the memory wire inhibiting the IEM from rotating far enough for optimal comfort - despite me manipulating the wire.

Will let you know how it goes :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,389 of 4,022

I've read the information. I'll be doing this tonight. I'll take it slow, and really try to avoid scoring or cutting into the headphone cable itself. I notice the hook inside the MMCX connector base, hopefully that'll come out with a wiggle and without scratching or destroying the housing...

This may solve my issues, because the memory wire inhibiting the IEM from rotating far enough for optimal comfort - despite me manipulating the wire.

Will let you know how it goes :)

Yeah, just take it slow regarding cutting the sheath and you'll be alright.  As for the hook inside the MMCX connector base, you can slowly but deliberately pull and sway back and forth until the wire itself simply 'pops' out.  It should not destroy, let alone scratch, the housing (of the cable [base] I assume you mean) at all.  You'll be fine, I have faith in you. 
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,390 of 4,022
  I've been out of the head-fi scene for quite some time, and so I'm wondering if there's any consensus on the best cable replacements for the Shure SE535? Any known brands/manufacturers that have good synergy? I really hated the memory wire on the stock cable (I removed it), so I'd strongly prefer if the replacement cable didn't have one as well. I also prefer straight plugs, a thin cable, and discrete sleeving (i.e., no flashy crap). Looking to spend about 300 max. Any suggestions? Remember -- I'm looking for consensus, not some plug for whatever cable you personally own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1) Just as a precautionary question: the rest of your setup is the best it can be, right? Including amps and source material (DAPs). Going from memory, getting new headphone cables cleaned up or changed the music but buying a good portable amp and DAP really made more of an improvement overall. 

2) Now that I've gotten that out of the way, because of the warmer sound signature of the SE535's, I would highly recommend silver as a material of choice. The 535's are intimate, slightly neutral, but the treble is rolled off. The worst thing you can do, IMO, is increase that warmth. 

3) I don't know how different actual silver cables will sound from each other, only from the "standard" copper that comes with everything, that's something I'd recommend you do a lot of reading over: does a Toxic cable, for example, sound that much better than a silver costing half the price. 

4) Lastly, the aesthetics matter a lot to me. Make sure you get something durable and relatively thick (even if it's just the covering) to give the IEM a premium feeling. Aesthetics matter "almost" as much as sound :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back