Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,456 of 4,022

Quote:
I bet there are some that wont prefer the 535. They're different. 535 is smoother and sounds more extended due to it. Lost a lower treble emphasis amd a bit of upper mids. I actually think the mids sound warmer while the bass is tighter. They're a bit too warm for me now on audition but I'd probably get used to it if I used them daily. Nothing's perfect and they have a natural texture and harmonic about them.

I don't hear any less bass than the SE530s (owned for 18 months)...the actual presence of treble on the SE535s might give that feeling though.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #1,458 of 4,022
Finally got to listen to SE535 yesterday and find out what the buzz is all about, also has the chance to A/B it to SE530. For whatever brief auditioning can get, I have to say I do like the SE535 over SE530. The major difference I noticed is the lighter / less thick  bass / lower mid on the SE535, which makes it just slightly faster and more balanced. Other wise the rest of the spectrum (upper mid / treble) is actually very similar between the two. Thumb up to Shure for actually improving the SE530's sound without taking away it strength.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,459 of 4,022
People said I was crazy when I stated the SE535 sounds different than the SE530 and that I like the newer version much  better, but some head-fiers said I must be mistaken. I also said the older version had more bass, and I was told I must be mistaken there too. So I'm glad to see you have similar findings as me in your limited time with them. Thanks for the early impressions!!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Finally got to listen to SE535 yesterday and find out what the buzz is all about, also has the chance to A/B it to SE530. For whatever brief auditioning can get, I have to say I do like the SE535 over SE530. The major difference I noticed is the lighter / less thick  bass / lower mid on the SE535, which makes it just slightly faster and more balanced. Other wise the rest of the spectrum (upper mid / treble) is actually very similar between the two. Thumb up to Shure for actually improving the SE530's sound without taking away it strength.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #1,460 of 4,022

Quote:
People said I was crazy when I stated the SE535 sounds different than the SE530 and that I like the newer version much  better, but some head-fiers said I must be mistaken. I also said the older version had more bass, and I was told I must be mistaken there too. So I'm glad to see you have similar findings as me in your limited time with them. Thanks for the early impressions!!
beerchug.gif

Eric... we didn't say you were crazy... because of that.  
wink_face.gif

ksc75smile.gif

Actually MacedonianHero agreed and was one of the first to state the difference. Then all these quotes from Shure started popping up about the improvements to the 535 over the 530. The great thing was that you and others actually noticed it before it was confirmed by Shure.

shane

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #1,461 of 4,022
LOL @ Shane. Okay, I'll go with what you said sir!! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #1,463 of 4,022
I had the SE530s for ~4 years, received a replacement (cable failure) and sold them when I bought my SE535s. The SQ improvement on the 535 is not subtle. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,464 of 4,022
Could you elaborate a little? I am a 535 owner and was a 530 owner a few years ago..but when I owned the 530..all I cared about was bass..and felt there was none. Now I am older and I am loving the mids on my 535 and have no complaints about the bass either..and for what it's worth..I find the highs just fine on the 535 ( not rolled off).. but I never noticed the rolled off highs with the 530 cuz I was so into the bass. Just was curious what you thought the differences were since you owned for 4 years.  Thanks..

Quote:
I had the SE530s for ~4 years, received a replacement (cable failure) and sold them when I bought my SE535s. The SQ improvement on the 535 is not subtle. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #1,465 of 4,022

Quote:

Actually MacedonianHero agreed and was one of the first to state the difference. Then all these quotes from Shure started popping up about the improvements to the 535 over the 530. The great thing was that you and others actually noticed it before it was confirmed by Shure.

shane

Thanks Shane for the clarification.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #1,466 of 4,022

Quote:
Could you elaborate a little? I am a 535 owner and was a 530 owner a few years ago..but when I owned the 530..all I cared about was bass..and felt there was none. Now I am older and I am loving the mids on my 535 and have no complaints about the bass either..and for what it's worth..I find the highs just fine on the 535 ( not rolled off).. but I never noticed the rolled off highs with the 530 cuz I was so into the bass. Just was curious what you thought the differences were since you owned for 4 years.  Thanks..

Sure. I am not blessed with the audiophile tongue, but I'll say that the soundstage is much larger. I had the chance to compare the 530 vs. 535 and it was dramatic. I am certain a lot of the improvement is the result of a smaller IEM and better fit with the 535. The bass seems a bit fuller and the highs seem to extend quite a bit more. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,467 of 4,022

Quote:
Sure. I am not blessed with the audiophile tongue, but I'll say that the soundstage is much larger. I had the chance to compare the 530 vs. 535 and it was dramatic. I am certain a lot of the improvement is the result of a smaller IEM and better fit with the 535. The bass seems a bit fuller and the highs seem to extend quite a bit more. 

I agree that the sound stage is better. I found the SE530s too in your head sounding. As well, I would no longer classify the treble as "rolled off" with the SE535s (the second weak link in the SE530s for me). Then throw in the indestructible and user replaceable cable...the perfect universal IEM IMHO.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #1,468 of 4,022
Well I just wanna chime in to say that I have just bought a pair of SE535. Glad to see pretty a lot of well regarded Head-Fiers in this thread. Guess I made the right choice.

I will use it unamped on iPhone 4, music will be top quality mp3 or Apple lossless. Is it enough for the Shure or portable amp is needed?

And thank MacedonianHero. I asked for your opinion on IE8 and your response made me put $90 on top of my budget to grab a pair of SE535. Thank you for abusing my wallet
tongue.gif

PS: It was like crazy. I started a thread asking about RE-6i vs IE7 thinking I would strictly spend under $100 on an IEM. The next thing I knew was I placed an order on IE8 which is well above $250. Now I'm here talking about $360 Shure. Well... That's so Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #1,469 of 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

. Well... That's so Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Ain't dat da truth!  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #1,470 of 4,022

Quote:
Well I just wanna chime in to say that I have just bought a pair of SE535. Glad to see pretty a lot of well regarded Head-Fiers in this thread. Guess I made the right choice.

I will use it unamped on iPhone 4, music will be top quality mp3 or Apple lossless. Is it enough for the Shure or portable amp is needed?

And thank MacedonianHero. I asked for your opinion on IE8 and your response made me put $90 on top of my budget to grab a pair of SE535. Thank you for abusing my wallet
tongue.gif

PS: It was like crazy. I started a thread asking about RE-6i vs IE7 thinking I would strictly spend under $100 on an IEM. The next thing I knew was I placed an order on IE8 which is well above $250. Now I'm here talking about $360 Shure. Well... That's so Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Sorry to cost you the extra $$$, but you mentioned you hated mid-bass humps...have a gander
basshead.gif
:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731&graphID[]=603

BTW...no amp required as they sound really good straight out of my iPhone or iPod. But they do sound a bit better from a portable amp as well.

This placed is cursed I tells ya!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back