Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,956 of 4,022
  The Shure SE535 is a dark sounding IEM with recessed mids? 

I have been A/B the Shure SE535 against my neutral / flat Shure SRH 1840 and if I used a low-pass filter and removed some mid-frequencies a similar sound signature of the Shure SE535 was achieved. 

(or my Shure SE535 must be broken, since I don't think my Shure SE535 IEM has emphasised mid range like a lot of people are saying on this board. It just has some missing frequencies which makes some part of the mid range stand out despite it not being emphasised )

Not sure how valid it is to compare an IEM to an open back set of premium cans.  Even though, most would call the 535's premium UIEM's, the ability of the 1840's to provide wider sound stage, and more space between the instruments really can't be matched by any IEM, can it?  The physics of the sound transmission just do not allow IEM's to produce the same experience.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,957 of 4,022
The Shure SE535 is a dark sounding IEM with recessed mids? 

I have been A/B the Shure SE535 against my neutral / flat Shure SRH 1840 and if I used a low-pass filter and removed some mid-frequencies a similar sound signature of the Shure SE535 was achieved. 

(or my Shure SE535 must be broken, since I don't think my Shure SE535 IEM has emphasised mid range like a lot of people are saying on this board. It just has some missing frequencies which makes some part of the mid range stand out despite it not being emphasised )
no obviously iems can't move the amount of air required.. But some do sound pretty sweet.. I think it's a more intimate sound.. I'm not or was ever one to use a eq for anything.. Specially iems.. But I eq d them the other day just fooling around.. I found a eq setting on the Internet for my 535's and wow what a difference.. These things really have the potential to really extend really well at both ends.. Specially in the lower end of the spectrum.. I was totally impressed..

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,958 of 4,022
SE535 may be the most forward midrange IEM on the market.

It's my biggest problem with it.  It's fatiguing on the ears.  The W4 is not as forward a little more lush and generally more enjoyable for vocals for me.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,960 of 4,022
Do you think you felt the war to be analytical in a sense of separation? Did you find the war to be bright?

Personally I call the 535 analytical because it's Imo significantly brighter than the w4r..imo

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,961 of 4,022
Do you think you felt the war to be analytical in a sense of separation? Did you find the war to be bright?

Personally I call the 535 analytical because it's Imo significantly brighter than the w4r..imo

As you can see, it's lacking high frequencies (the Shure SE535) so it's not very bright.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,962 of 4,022
  SE535 may be the most forward midrange IEM on the market.

It's my biggest problem with it.  It's fatiguing on the ears.  The W4 is not as forward a little more lush and generally more enjoyable for vocals for me.

I don't think the mid range is forward, it's at the right levels where it should be. It just lacks some frequencies which make those mids stand out I guess. 

It's not fatiguing on my ears. I listen to the Shure SE535 about 10+ hours per day in the office. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,963 of 4,022
  I don't think the mid range is forward, it's at the right levels where it should be. It just lacks some frequencies which make those mids stand out I guess. 

It's not fatiguing on my ears. I listen to the Shure SE535 about 10+ hours per day in the office. 

I would have to agree with this.  I use my 535's for frequent air travel, including long international flights, as well as in the office for long periods of time, and have never found them to be fatiguing.  I actually found the that my ability to use them for long periods of time improved when I changed from the foam tips (Shure or Comply) to the Westone long star tips.  These are my current tips of choice.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,965 of 4,022
  well if you compare both the se535 and the w4r, the mids will give the 535 a ''bright'' sound as the 535 have a much more forward mid section. w4r is laid back in that area or flat

Green = Shure SRH 1840 (a very neutral flat headphone)
Red = Shure SE535
Blue = Westone 4R

I wouldn't call the Westone 4R flat in the mids. The Westone 4R will probably sound darker due to the emphasised low frequencies despite having more treble. Probably if you EQ away some of that low frequencies, you'll have similar brightness as the Shure SE535.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,966 of 4,022
Just when I started to enjoy it.  My luck!!
got it used from the forum. Waiting and hoping the original seller will be able to help by providing receipt for  Warranty
Not even sure how it happened :frowning2:

Worse scenario, any idea who can fix it? The left tip is missing 

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,967 of 4,022
  Just when I started to enjoy it.  My luck!!
got it used from the forum. Waiting and hoping the original seller will be able to help by providing receipt for  Warranty
Not even sure how it happened :frowning2:

Worse scenario, any idea who can fix it? The left tip is missing 

Shure will replace it for $84  (out of warranty) plus the cost of shipping it to them. That would likely be the quickest route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back