Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #3,886 of 6,066
They sound different but still very, very good. I can't be the only KSE owner who went from 535's to 846's to KSE's. (Can I?)
I have gone 535 -> LCD-x > LCD-4 + SR 007 + Final D8000 + KSE. Hence ways are not always linear. Re transportability I solved the equation via an Obravo CAMT-1 which is a wonderful competition to LCD-4 et al and KSE (which I like tons but not really for travelling)

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3,887 of 6,066
Anyone ditched their desktop setup for the kse1200? I am toying with those thoughts..after spending close to 6 hours in the last 2 days at my local store, i concluded the kse1200+hugo2 is really hard to beat even with my yggy+wa5+abyss setup. Just can’t get over that clarity, layering, everything sounds right kind of moment..

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,888 of 6,066
Anyone ditched their desktop setup for the kse1200? I am toying with those thoughts..after spending close to 6 hours in the last 2 days at my local store, i concluded the kse1200+hugo2 is really hard to beat even with my yggy+wa5+abyss setup. Just can’t get over that clarity, layering, everything sounds right kind of moment..

I thought about it, but open back headphones are still a better listening experience imho. If I had to reduce my gear to one system though, the H2 and KSE would be my choice for home.

I would suggest a good USB to coax DDC for the H2 desktop mode. Best one at a great price is the Schiit EITR. You lose DSD capability, so if you need that, then go with a galvanically isolated USB hub instead.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,889 of 6,066
Your post is like honey for me LOL
Seriously, i left large headphones due to confort. I have westone iem that ia similar to shure in form factor. I'm thinking to an home system with mojo or hugo amd kse1200.
P.S.: i prefer closed to open

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #3,890 of 6,066
Ditched, nope but trim down my collection yes. Sold a bunch of headphones after owning the KSE1500. Made me realised I'm never going to listen to a lot headphones I was collecting. Especially closed headphone

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #3,891 of 6,066
Sometimes when I fire up the speakers it is a very nice experience. Plus when I stand up a string of gear doesn't go tumbling. But the clincher is making my daughter listen to my ridicules music. It really gets to her. But she has closed back phones she she can tune me out. I recently gave her my SE 535's and she was quite impressed with the way it protected her from outside sound. She thought I was merely mouthing words and was quite happy to learn I can be silenced.

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #3,892 of 6,066
I received my 1200's today, from Music Direct. Great service, shipped the day they came in. They sound good, but trying them in my office out of either an Onkyo DP-X1 or Dragonfly I can't get the Amber light on the input, which signifies optimum input level. It is either green, red, or off. If I turn it too high, it turns from green to red, but there is no amber stage in between green and red. Is this normal? I don't suspect any issues, they sound fine, but curious about this.
Thanks.
Having the same issue here. I will send it back because I find it annoying not to know if I am using the optimum input level.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,893 of 6,066
Having the same issue here. I will send it back because I find it annoying not to know if I am using the optimum input level.
It's not a problem with the KSE1200; it's your input voltage. The unit requires a line input of approx. 1.75Vrms (without the 10dB pad engaged) to avoid clipping the output; if your input is higher then clipping may occur and the LED turns RED; if your input is lower then clipping is unlikely and the LED turns GREEN.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #3,894 of 6,066
It's not a problem with the KSE1200; it's your input voltage. The unit requires a line input of approx. 1.75Vrms (without the 10dB pad engaged) to avoid clipping the output; if your input is higher then clipping may occur and the LED turns RED; if your input is lower then clipping is unlikely and the LED turns GREEN.
How does this explain the absence of the color amber? Not only for the audio but for the power as well.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #3,898 of 6,066
How does this explain the absence of the color amber? Not only for the audio but for the power as well.
The 'AMBER zone' for the input is probably quite a small range, maybe 1.7V +/- a few percent, so its appearance is going to be transitory at best. If you don't get an AMBER power LED while charging, then I'll concede, that may be a problem with the device.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #3,899 of 6,066
The 'AMBER zone' for the input is probably quite a small range, maybe 1.7V +/- a few percent, so its appearance is going to be transitory at best. If you don't get an AMBER power LED while charging, then I'll concede, that may be a problem with the device.
Would Shure have manufactured an amber coloring LED to aid the client in obtaining the best possible input level if it were hardly noticeable? Shure themselves confirmed to me that it should be visible on the KSE 1200. I would have had no problem with the device if it were not in the manual. Now it is a fault. In the end, soundwise, it may make little difference, but it is a shame to find an issue like this in such a costly product. Apart from that, listening to it is utter heaven. So I won't go on moaning about the light.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,900 of 6,066

Yes. I haven't used something other than KSE1500 in months. I keep "meaning" to go over to the shelf and get the K1000 or HD600 or HD800 out, but it's like, KSE1500 sits on my desk, I just plug in the jack from the bifrost, and hey presto I've got summit fi sound with supreme noise isolation from my busy street. I'm not saying I wanna sell my collection, but it's definitely not seeing tons of use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back