Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #3,856 of 6,059
Wow! So, I'm definitely not alone. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide your insights. I'll give them another try.

I'm trying to round up a selection of tips. It's not as easy as I'd have thought. Now I have to start essentially from scratch on the IEM journey. I'm reading through threads on the various IEMs I was/am considering to get a tip list together... sheesh.

Last time (I promise) with feeling. To all the MOT out there that bust their butts to design, develop, build, market, and sell us awesome products... My intent is helpful advice, not a critique. You might be missing sales altogether or folks may be delaying purchases or choosing other IEMs based on a tip versus the merits of your designs, your driver choice, your painstaking work on crossovers etc. etc... you may know this... but I have to get it out. My strongest recommendation is to provide your distributors or stores with tips for potential buyers to try, especially for TOTL models. You should provide at least what's in the retail packaging that you know fits the IEM and fits a cross section of your test groups' ears. I was provided after market tips for some IEMs that in some cases covered the sound holes. I was given one set that was so loose on the IEM body that it came off and got stuck (fairly deep) in my ear. This must happen a reasonable amount b/c the fine young man at the store quickly went and got tweezers. :)

If anyone on the Shure team follows this thread ... at least 8 years of your blood, sweat and tears went into this project, and at least one buyer with cash-in-hand wrote it off b/c of lack of knowledge in your supply chain re: fit. You owe the folks above a debt of gratitude. 20% off for everyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #3,859 of 6,059
I'm so happy to be listening to these with the Bifrost again — yes, the internal DAC skimps on the realism aspect, but at a technical level its frequent (though not constant) stuttering cripples the product in a certain significant way. My 18' extension cord makes wandering my tiny San Francisco studio quite possible.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,860 of 6,059
Mm...not excited for the KSE 1200, as an early adopter of the KSE 1500. It makes no sense as this is clearly a downgrade (again, for existing KSE 1500 owners). But for non-owners, this is their chance to own a portable estat system at a lower price point.

The reduction in size and weight, as an advantage, is a non-starter since you still need to double-stack with your favorite source or DAP. The KSE 1500 dac amp is not heavy in the first place. The removal of the DAC portion is also a disadvantage since it discounts the use of a smartphone as source. Not unless you prefer to use a smartphone DAC as your DAC........a smartphone DAC on an expensive piece of headfi gear :angry: :thumbsdown:.

For me, this move is designed purely to promote the sale of the KSE by significantly lowering the price of admission but they also took away some functionality. Nothing wrong with that.

This comment makes no sense.
The Shure 1200 and 1500 are the exact same driver and amp. The 1200 just does not have the DAC and EQ.
So if anything the 1200 is an UPGRADE because you are getting more battery life.

Lastly, if you're that concerned about the quality of the DAC the DAC that is in the 1500 is not exactly world class and will one day be outdated because Dacs come and go with file formats. So you'll end up using an external DAC eventually anyway.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,861 of 6,059
This comment makes no sense.
The Shure 1200 and 1500 are the exact same driver and amp. The 1200 just does not have the DAC and EQ.
So if anything the 1200 is an UPGRADE because you are getting more battery life.

Lastly, if you're that concerned about the quality of the DAC the DAC that is in the 1500 is not exactly world class and will one day be outdated because Dacs come and go with file formats. So you'll end up using an external DAC eventually anyway.
I had no desire for the KSE1500's DAC which didn't generate great reviews anyway. My KSE1200 connected to my LGV30 sounds incredible with Tidal MQA Master files. It helps that the LGV30 has an MQA DAC built-in.

The combo of KSE1200 w/LGV30 can almost replace my DAPs...eek. Sorry if this is off topic.

In any case, the sound quality I get from my KSE1200 is the pinnacle of IEMs for me and I've had some pretty decent IEMS (Zeus XRA, Angie CIEM, U12, etc.).

Back to my music...

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #3,862 of 6,059
I had no desire for the KSE1500's DAC which didn't generate great reviews anyway. My KSE1200 connected to my LGV30 sounds incredible with Tidal MQA Master files. It helps that the LGV30 has an MQA DAC built-in.

The combo of KSE1200 w/LGV30 can almost replace my DAPs...eek.

Preach.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,863 of 6,059

The combo of KSE1200 w/LGV30 can almost replace my DAPs...eek. Sorry if this is off topic.

In any case, the sound quality I get from my KSE1200 is the pinnacle of IEMs for me and I've had some pretty decent IEMS (Zeus XRA, Angie CIEM, U12, etc.).

Back to my music...

Thing is, when someone can afford USD2999 for the KSE1500, chances are they also already have an equally expensive TOTL DAP that has a better DAC - both technically and in circuit implementation - than the one in the KSE1500. The KSE1500 thus quickly became outdated and outclass in its design and thus carrying a lot of unnecessary bloat, whereas the KSE1200 is the correct and more timeless design. The KSE1500 was over-designed for the intended target audience and purpose, whereas the KSE1200 hits the correct target, the KSE1200 really should be the one Shure released, and the KSE1500 being scrapped altogether.

20180809_143648877_iOS.jpg

I just got my hands on a Hiby R3, and it stacks perfectly with the KSE1200 in terms of height and width. It's a stack that is smaller than the palm of my hand and way more elegant than any KSE1500 stack could achieve, and best of all I can remotely control this over Bluetooth on my phone. For out and about this is going to be sweet. :D

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #3,864 of 6,059
While I adore the sound from the KSE1200, there are some instruments, on some rare pieces, where the instrument is harder to tell. the rim tap on a snare drum on a couple of Dave Brubeck pieces, for instance, while sounding like exactly that with my Utopias, sounds like just a tick, almost like static, on the KSE1200.

It does sound accurate to me when the KSE1200 is connected to the H2 or Mojo, but sounds more like a tick or bit of static when connected to the RME ADI-2 DAC or the R6 or R3 or N5II.

The Utopias, otoh, sound correct with that snare drum tap, regardless of the DAC/AMP it's connected to.

Which makes me think that the KSE1200 is much more sensitive to the DAC/AMP it's connected to, and the better the source, the better it sounds.

While this is just a suspicion, I think that the Chord MScaler on the H2 will make the KSE1200 really shine. Hoping to save enough for an MScaler.

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3,865 of 6,059
Thing is, when someone can afford USD2999 for the KSE1500, chances are they also already have an equally expensive TOTL DAP that has a better DAC - both technically and in circuit implementation - than the one in the KSE1500. The KSE1500 thus quickly became outdated and outclass in its design and thus carrying a lot of unnecessary bloat, whereas the KSE1200 is the correct and more timeless design. The KSE1500 was over-designed for the intended target audience and purpose, whereas the KSE1200 hits the correct target, the KSE1200 really should be the one Shure released, and the KSE1500 being scrapped altogether.

I just got my hands on a Hiby R3, and it stacks perfectly with the KSE1200 in terms of height and width. It's a stack that is smaller than the palm of my hand and way more elegant than any KSE1500 stack could achieve, and best of all I can remotely control this over Bluetooth on my phone. For out and about this is going to be sweet. :D

While I totally agree with your statement with the KSE1500 vs KSE1200. I was in the dilemma that I had an opportunity to purchasing a return from warranty KSE1500 for $1280. So I didn't mind losing the 2hours of battery life compared the the KSE1200.
Also I don't personally mind the DAC in the KSE1500 at all.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #3,866 of 6,059
While I totally agree with your statement with the KSE1500 vs KSE1200. I was in the dilemma that I had an opportunity to purchasing a return from warranty KSE1500 for $1280. So I didn't mind losing the 2hours of battery life compared the the KSE1200.
Also I don't personally mind the DAC in the KSE1500 at all.

Is that in AUD? Either way you've scored a bargain price. At that price point I wouldn't complain about having to buy a KSE1500 either. :)

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,867 of 6,059
For those KSE1200 owners looking for a case, there isn't one. However, since it has the same cross section as the KSE1500, you can use the same case but need to fill in the bottom 18mm with something. I am going to use 3 pcs of 6 mm hard foam.

If you order directly from Shure, the part number is EAAMPCASE. Although the website says $40, it's about $70 form Shure, but their parts resellers may have it at $40. I found one on eBay. Other option of Dignis, but too expensive and don't like the croc finish.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #3,868 of 6,059
For those KSE1200 owners looking for a case, there isn't one. However, since it has the same cross section as the KSE1500, you can use the same case but need to fill in the bottom 18mm with something. I am going to use 3 pcs of 6 mm hard foam.

If you order directly from Shure, the part number is EAAMPCASE. Although the website says $40, it's about $70 form Shure, but their parts resellers may have it at $40. I found one on eBay. Other option of Dignis, but too expensive and don't like the croc finish.

Width seems to differ a bit as well: 59mm for the KSE1500 vs. 53mm for the KSE1200

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #3,869 of 6,059
True, but this was recommended to me by Shure support so I will report back when I get the case. I do have some 2mm foam too LOL.

I think the extra 3mm may account for the side buttons where there is a cutout on the case.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #3,870 of 6,059
Is that in AUD? Either way you've scored a bargain price. At that price point I wouldn't complain about having to buy a KSE1500 either. :)

Price is in USD, or $1799 AUD shipped at the time of purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back