Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #3,916 of 6,068
Hi all. I decided to trade/sell my KSE1500. I am thinking of a {Hugo2, SP1000, SE100, WM1Z} + another TOTL IEM combo. Although it is most amazing sounding IEM yet for me, my right ear is having some pain after a while because of the shell. I am currently only using my closed full size HPs. I did not really touch it last 4 months. It is already listed in the market forums.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #3,918 of 6,068
I get a great seal but sound gets distorted if I put volume up. If I listen real low then ok but high volume not good.

You might need to play around with your input volume from the source.

I find the trick is to have the amp work at no more than 80% of its maximum output, so the source should put in enough voltage (while not exceeding the maximum input such that it clips eg red light) that you have enough headroom to play with the volume on the amp.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,919 of 6,068
My first audition was crap as well — I listened at some audio store in SFO, maybe Terminal 1? I didn't know how to wear them, and ended up having them in the wrong ears. They still sounded better than k3003i, but the difference wasn't as striking as it is now.

But as I said in my review: don't expect to be blown away immediately. Their supreme transparency takes some time to appreciate, and they do not coddle you with a "fun" or "pleasing" or "euphonic" or "toe-tapping" sound. If you want to listen extremely loud, they will distort. They are a very specific tool for a very specific audiophile. If you can get by with a cheaper headphone, do it. You will be happier and richer.

Sep 1, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #3,920 of 6,068
My first audition was crap as well...

But as I said in my review: don't expect to be blown away immediately. Their supreme transparency takes some time to appreciate, and they do not coddle you with a "fun" or "pleasing" or "euphonic" or "toe-tapping" sound. If you want to listen extremely loud, they will distort. They are a very specific tool for a very specific audiophile. If you can get by with a cheaper headphone, do it. You will be happier and richer.
+1 - I had a terrible experience (previously ranted about), and I hope the Shure folks have taken notice of potentially how many people were turned off after the first listen b/c of potentially poor supply chain training. It's only because of the folks in this thread that I gave them another shot. With that said, I agree completely. After going back and listening for a total of three times, and getting all I think I could get out of them, I chose to hold off on getting them even though they're a brilliant product that stands apart from other offerings. They're just not for me (for now). @DarginMahkum yours did tempt me though.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #3,924 of 6,068
My note 8 to mojo, iPad to cdm or mojo and straight gro. Ipod touch.
I used to own a Mojo. It's a cute little device, but it can be susceptible to interference noise from cellphones. Its shielding isn't anywhere near as good as that on the Hugo 2. Maybe try airplane mode?

It still seems like clipping would be the most likely cause of distortion though. Hope you figure it out.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #3,925 of 6,068
Here is what I have experienced with "amber lights" on the KSE1200 amp and I think it is consistent with the manual:

Charging - when charging, the power light will be amber. When it is fully charged, it changes to green.

Input level - usually a steady green because that just indicates input is working. However, during very quiet passages in music, I've seen the green LED turn off momentarily. As for optimum peak voltage, that is harder to set unless you have a constant tone which gives you a steady voltage. You can also assume different albums and tracks have different volume levels which equate to different voltage levels. What I do is pick my "loudest" track - Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree, and dial up the output until I see solid red and back down from there. Here is what you want to look for:

Solid red most or all of the time - too high with obvious distortion so start dialing down.

Red occasionally - still too high, but distortion will not be so obvious so start dialing down, smaller increments.

Amber occasionally, but never red - that is what Shure is describing as "optimal". It should briefly flash amber during the loudest passages of the track you are playing. It's a little difficult to tell between amber and red because the led blinks momentarily. Also, your source output volume control has to be in at most 1 dB increments to get this level of finesse. .33 dB is even better for finessing.

Green always - this is the practical range as long as you get their by dialing down from red. Since your tracks are all going to vary in volume level, it is impractical to adjust 1-3 dB of input for every track so you get the amber led on every track. That is why it is only practical to pick your loudest recording and set "optimal" using that so you never see the red LED.

Lastly, what does "optimal" mean? For the KSE amp, it means the best output level measurements at a normal listening level. Since everyone's "normal" listening level is different, it's fools gold to try to give an exact optimal input level that matches to an exact optimal output level. Just avoid clipping (e.g. red) and you will be fine. This is all in the analog domain so there are no lost bits either.

I've checked once again closely while increasing volume step by step and there is indeed amber LED color like the manual says. It blinks on louder fragments. I can't hear any difference between just constant green light and amber blinking - it just a little bit louder and thats it.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #3,926 of 6,068
Really bummed out about these kse1200 no power what so ever. I have tried gear that was not for me, but this is one of the first set of gear that just sound terrible. The earphones that came with my note 8 to me sound way better. I hope it's just this set I have. But they are going back as fast as I can send them back. Anyways thanks for all the suggestions.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #3,927 of 6,068
Maybe yours were defective of something? I own dozen of headphones right no, for example campfire vega which are something completely different. They are much darker with a ton of bass, weighty midrange and sparkly higs. I could understant that someone prefers sound of the Vega, I even myself like Vega's more on some genres and recordings but you simply cannot argue that KSE are way, way, waaaaaay superior in terms of resolution, speed, finesse, control, soundstage, layering, smoothness - all in all they are more believeble and true to life..

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #3,928 of 6,068
I've checked once again closely while increasing volume step by step and there is indeed amber LED color like the manual says. It blinks on louder fragments. I can't hear any difference between just constant green light and amber blinking - it just a little bit louder and thats it.
You're right, I have noticed it also now. So there is no fault. But the fact that we have had to talk about it does show that the whole amber light thing is superfluous.
What someone said before: turn down from where you see the red light (=clipping) is the best advice.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,929 of 6,068
Maybe yours were defective of something? I own dozen of headphones right no, for example campfire vega which are something completely different. They are much darker with a ton of bass, weighty midrange and sparkly higs. I could understant that someone prefers sound of the Vega, I even myself like Vega's more on some genres and recordings but you simply cannot argue that KSE are way, way, waaaaaay superior in terms of resolution, speed, finesse, control, soundstage, layering, smoothness - all in all they are more believeble and true to life..
I hope that's the case them being defective. I really was exicited to own them.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #3,930 of 6,068
I hope that's the case them being defective. I really was exicited to own them.

Everyone has their subjective tastes, but there are few comments you made that 100% of KSE owners would disagree with:

Lack of details - KSE is widely regarded as one of the top 2 or 3 resolving IEMs.
Lots of distortion - Electrostatic technology is specifically designed to be the lowest distortion option for headphones.
Lack of power - You can easily blow out your ear drums. Nobody has said there is a lack of power on KSE.

It sounds to me that your input level is too low. Set your input padding to -10 dB and use your Mojo for input. Mojo should be set at line level, then click 4 steps down to a darker blue volume color. If that still sounds terrible, then yes, your KSE unit is defective. You want your input to be as high as possible without seeing clipping indicator go off on the KSE amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back