Shuoer impressions thread
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,371 of 3,872
15-16 KHz is upper treble “air”, for harmonics. I don’t think I can really hear things above 15 KHz. It‘s the upper midrange, around 2-5 KHz that can make an IEM sound “shouty”.
Thx for the correction - clearly I got no idea :cold_sweat:

Yes you are correct the Tape shouty-ness correction was mostly applied in the 3.5-5k region :) I wasn’t thinking correctly. Me too not sensitive past 10k really but will try it out could be fun as Redrol suggested

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,372 of 3,872
Thx for the correction - clearly I got no idea :cold_sweat:

Yes you are correct the Tape shouty-ness correction was mostly applied in the 3.5-5k region :) I wasn’t thinking correctly. Me too not sensitive past 10k really but will try it out could be fun as Redrol suggested
Try my EQ I posted a page ago. You be surprised I think.

I find that the Tape doesnt actually need much boosting in terms of the upper treble (10k+) because it actually has a lot of upper treble already (which is rare for chi-fi). And if you add more the unnatural timbre starts to be more in your face.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #2,373 of 3,872
Just gave the +5dB bump to 16KHz using jamesDSP on my phone. Really does seem to make a difference. Never thought to bump the upper treble that high but it does seem to add a bit more "air" that is missing.
Adding again I am just extremely happy with the EJ. The fact I still get impressed by the SQ even after owning it roughly 1 year now, definitely speaks volumes. I do think that the right amp/cable combo also takes it over the top though. Silver/SPC cable + Powerful amp + warmer SQ DAC are a perfect synergy for the EJ.
btw @redrol I think you ordered a silver cable at some point right? could you hear any difference at all? i'm curious how others perceive sonic differences in silver vs copper cable. To me its very noticeable...

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,374 of 3,872
Just gave the +5dB bump to 16KHz using jamesDSP on my phone. Really does seem to make a difference. Never thought to bump the upper treble that high but it does seem to add a bit more "air" that is missing.
Adding again I am just extremely happy with the EJ. The fact I still get impressed by the SQ even after owning it roughly 1 year now, definitely speaks volumes. I do think that the right amp/cable combo also takes it over the top though. Silver/SPC cable + Powerful amp + warmer SQ DAC are a perfect synergy for the EJ.
btw @redrol I think you ordered a silver cable at some point right? could you hear any difference at all? i'm curious how others perceive sonic differences in silver vs copper cable. To me its very noticeable...

I never did order that cable.. I should but when you have literally 20 cables its like.. uhhhh. I should at least try it.

The 15-16k bump is awesome for low-medium volume listening. Then it is generally too much when i run really loud. Nice change if you want it. It's not an EQ I actually use since I usually run loud. Maybe in the evenings in bed I might put that on to listen to some classical or whatnot.

What exact volume level do you listen at?! The EJ is made to run loud. Other sets flat out cannot do that without chopping my ears off. Kind of makes me wish for a quiet/loud switch that just upped that 15k region.

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #2,375 of 3,872
I never did order that cable.. I should but when you have literally 20 cables its like.. uhhhh. I should at least try it.

The 15-16k bump is awesome for low-medium volume listening. Then it is generally too much when i run really loud. Nice change if you want it. It's not an EQ I actually use since I usually run loud. Maybe in the evenings in bed I might put that on to listen to some classical or whatnot.

What exact volume level do you listen at?! The EJ is made to run loud. Other sets flat out cannot do that without chopping my ears off. Kind of makes me wish for a quiet/loud switch that just upped that 15k region.
You should consider trying the cable at some point. I'd love to hear your impressions.

I run fairly loud as well, but nothing too crazy. It's certainly track dependant. I'm quite sensitive to harsh treble which is why I love the EJ07, but owning it for so long I'm always open to new ways to experience the sound. Admittedly it does have a lack of air in the treble, which I think is actually helped with a silver cable. And with eq I can always choose to turn it on or off if I find it too harsh.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,376 of 3,872
I figure I'll just post my current rig for the EJ.. which is a good setup.
Xduoo 05+ with Sparkos SS2590 Pro Discrete OPamp(s). These opamps are designed for million dollar mixing consoles and big gear like that. I might be the first person to try this.
https://sparkoslabs.com/pro-discrete-op-amp/
Sonics: Class A type tonality. Huuuuuuuge wide sound. Rich and warm with incredible microdetail and whatever buzzwords float your boat. It's all that and a bag of chips.

I just did this a couple days ago so my brain is still calibrating but what I can say is with this much power behind the EJ, the microdetail is PLENTY with no EQ. I'm not advocating this setup because lol but point is that if you have a super high end setup, the EJ scales like a boss.

IMG_20201007_182443.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,378 of 3,872
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,380 of 3,872
Thank you very much! I am absolutely happy now! A big thanks to @Spa03 who send me his backup set! He is the best! :)
You are welcome Chris, I went thru similar heartbreak and suffering due to the lost of EJ, I felt for you. The backup set is sitting doing (almost) nothing so it is better to let it go and brings some music (smile) back for you.

It helps too for to me to decide what next as backup set (EJ or Conductor or MEST or wait for the rumoured 2nd gen EJ?)...

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #2,381 of 3,872
You are welcome Chris, I went thru similar heartbreak and suffering due to the lost of EJ, I felt for you. The backup set is sitting doing (almost) nothing so it is better to let it go and brings some music (smile) back for you.

It helps too for to me to decide what next as backup set (EJ or Conductor or MEST or wait for the rumoured 2nd gen EJ?)...
Plus, there is the Penon Volt and the TA Twins to consider, maybe even the LZ A7. So many great IEMs now.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #2,382 of 3,872
Plus, there is the Penon Volt and the TA Twins to consider, maybe even the LZ A7. So many great IEMs now.
The twins are too big for me, hence will pass. LZ7 seemed not able to match 6?

But yes there are plenty good ones up coming, my initial EJ was damaged due to poor shock proofing package but they sorted those risks out phence don’t expect it to fail again which greatly reduced the need for a backup set...

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #2,383 of 3,872
The twins are too big for me, hence will pass. LZ7 seemed not able to match 6?

But yes there are plenty good ones up coming, my initial EJ was damaged due to poor shock proofing package but they sorted those risks out phence don’t expect it to fail again which greatly reduced the need for a backup set...
The LZ A7 is different from the A6, since it is going for a natural sound while the A6 is very unique. The A7 has TOTL tuning and outclasses the A6 in that part but SQ wise they are pretty close with A7 being a bit better.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,384 of 3,872
Other than the LZ A7 and Mangird Tea, the Legacy 5 is another option for an EJ07 backup.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,385 of 3,872
I have a faulty EJ07, because the manufacturer cutted the estat tubing on the right ear piece much shorter than the left side. I can definitively hear it. All the little details and the highs are much louder on the left side. There is also a little time delay in the highs, so the imaging is not correct anymore. The right side is a little muffled. This sucks a lot! Why i have so much bad luck with this hobby? :frowning2:

If someone from Shuoer read this, please help me!

IMG_20201013_195437.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back