Shuoer impressions thread
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #136 of 3,872
My Shuoer Tapes just arrived, but my balance cable is still on it's way.
Gonna check them out after today's cinema.

Edit: I am back home and had my first listening, after i put on Comply T-500 Tips and another Cable.
The Details are impressive, but somehow they lack serious Bass compared to my ZS10 Pros or ZSX.
Let's listen some more and see if those gonna be my daily drivers.
Mine will finally arrive Monday according to Ali tracking, 20 days, second longest Ali time I've experienced.

I just got my ZSX last week and they're impressive with EQ for bass. I had sort of written the ZSX off in being a contender for my basshead needs but they take to EQ extremely well and can dig just as low as my tfz e5, tfz king pro, nicehck db3, and lower than the blon bl-03. I also have the TRN v90 coming on Monday and those are supposed to be bassier.

The bqeyz bq3 is the only pair I think can noticeably dig deeper in my arsenal.

Do the tape take to EQ well?

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #137 of 3,872
Mine will finally arrive Monday according to Ali tracking, 20 days, second longest Ali time I've experienced.

I just got my ZSX last week and they're impressive with EQ for bass. I had sort of written the ZSX off in being a contender for my basshead needs but they take to EQ extremely well and can dig just as low as my tfz e5, tfz king pro, nicehck db3, and lower than the blon bl-03. I also have the TRN v90 coming on Monday and those are supposed to be bassier.

The bqeyz bq3 is the only pair I think can noticeably dig deeper in my arsenal.

Do the tape take to EQ well?

Nice.. You seem to have both the v90 and the Tape, which are two pairs that I'm eyeing. Please post your impression here once you get to try them both :)
I'm listening to alot of Techno, which really requires the bass thumps and missing that just kills any headphones/iems for me in term of pure enjoyment.

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #138 of 3,872
Somehow the combination of PC -> Roon -> Hidizs Sonata HD -> Shuoer Tape ****et it up.
i tested again with Smartphone -> USB Audio Player Pro -> Radsone ES100 -> Shuoer Tape and now it seems much better.
It's not on the KZ-Level but it's ok for me!

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #139 of 3,872
I don't have the FA7, but I do have the other 2, both arrived today, a 50th present to myself..

I am not one for extensive in depth reviews, but the accessories for the Ikko were beyond disappointing, a really cheap cable and awful tips, so you would end up spending another 100 quid for a good cable and tips, plus the pouch is a waste of time.

The shuoer on the other hand, great cable, excellent case, awful tips.

Both are ruggedly built, and are quite heavy..

The Ikko is gorgeous, absolutely stunning.

The shuoer not so much..

I have listened to both for a few hours and they are very different, so I find myself, at the moment not being able to choose between the 2, I need a bit more time with them both.

However, the Ikko with a different cable and foam tips sound wonderful, large soundstage, good bit of bass, treble is sparkly in a good way

The shuoer, blew me away out of the box... really enjoyed listening to them, forgot they were in my ears they were so comfortable.

Isolation isn't great though, even at full volume I could still hear outside noise, but that may be to do with the tips and not being able to get a good seal..

I honestly can't pick between the 2, I shall come back in a week after I have spent some serious time listening..

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

But value for money, for me it's the shouer, better packaging and accessories..

Don't have to pick one over the other... both can be equally good :). I say enjoy both.

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #140 of 3,872
Somehow the combination of PC -> Roon -> Hidizs Sonata HD -> Shuoer Tape ****et it up.
i tested again with Smartphone -> USB Audio Player Pro -> Radsone ES100 -> Shuoer Tape and now it seems much better.
It's not on the KZ-Level but it's ok for me!
are you using the ES100 balanced output?

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #141 of 3,872
Imho, this shuoer tape doesn't use the estat/electret driver it's hard to believe there's such technology as estat/electret inside the housing and integrated with the dd driver.

It seem use the piezoelectric driver.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #142 of 3,872
are you using the ES100 balanced output?

I ordered the Shuoer Tape together with two cables, one balance and one unbalaced.
Until now, only the Tape and the unbalanced cable showed up.
So i tested with the unbalanced output.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #143 of 3,872
Imho, this shuoer tape doesn't use the estat/electret driver it's hard to believe there's such technology as estat/electret inside the housing and integrated with the dd driver.

It seem use the piezoelectric driver.

Based on tear-down, or by ear/inferred tech analysis ? (I see you designed DAPs previously).

It did pop-up in my mind, with all the piezo hybrid stuff surfacing now on aliX.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #144 of 3,872
No I don't own shuoer tape iem, but to be call estat or electret you need adapter to convert the signal to high voltage signal in order to move the driver diaphragm.
Estat driver from Sonion use the adapter/coil to convert the signal to high v signal.

From the picture of the driver breakdown I didn't see any of those. It suppose to be big and take quite space in the shell since it need hundred or thousand turn of coil to work.

Cmiiw..

Note: as long as it's sound good the wrong term of the way it work not suppose to be a problem. :)

Based on tear-down, or by ear/inferred tech analysis ? (I see you designed DAPs previously).

It did pop-up in my mind, with all the piezo hybrid stuff surfacing now on aliX.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #145 of 3,872
I am still not sure if those gonna be my daily drivers or if i stay at my ZSX.
Did you guys crop your foam Tips, if they are to long?

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #146 of 3,872
I am still not sure if those gonna be my daily drivers or if i stay at my ZSX.
Did you guys crop your foam Tips, if they are to long?

How do you compare those 2?

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #147 of 3,872
No I don't own shuoer tape iem, but to be call estat or electret you need adapter to convert the signal to high voltage signal in order to move the driver diaphragm.
Estat driver from Sonion use the adapter/coil to convert the signal to high v signal.

From the picture of the driver breakdown I didn't see any of those. It suppose to be big and take quite space in the shell since it need hundred or thousand turn of coil to work.

Cmiiw..

Note: as long as it's sound good the wrong term of the way it work not suppose to be a problem. :)
Doesn't look like the typical piezo that I've seen before. The breakdown shows two parts, labeled low voltage electrostatic part and low voltage electrostatic circuit.... The piezo breakdowns usually show very compact square layers with no voltage adapter. What is shown on the tape breakdown looks more like a coaxial dynamic to me or some sort of electret like dynamic like in some of the over the ear electret designs... The only piezo breakdown I see that's sort of similar is the spring 1 which still looks clearly divided in layers.

That being said, the labeling of a electrostat circuit can't be chalked up to a translation error. This would be fraud. So I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is simply a novel design or at worst, an exaggeration. The product that comes to mind there is the drop x Mee "planamic", which is really just a dynamic that they say it's a hybrid planar/dynamic based on whimsy.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #148 of 3,872

Cmiiw..

An electret speaker uses a dielectric which has a quasi-permanent electrostatic field across it and doesn't require an external polarising voltage (as in electrostatic speakers). You can read a bit more about the technology here. It's like a capacitor that doesn't dissipate the charge across it.

Piezoelectric speakers are a completely different form of planar technology that uses the property of certain crystals which change shape in the presence of an electric field.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #149 of 3,872
Yah, you might be right.

The only make sense for me for this estat driver is the way electret microphone work and this driver is working almost in the similar method.

But it's more to piezo than an estat.. Who know
Cmiiw

An electret speaker uses a dielectric which has a quasi-permanent electrostatic field across it and doesn't require an external polarising voltage (as in electrostatic speakers). You can read a bit more about the technology here. It's like a capacitor that doesn't dissipate the charge across it.

Piezoelectric speakers are a completely different form of planar technology that uses the property of certain crystals which change shape in the presence of an electric field.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #150 of 3,872
Given that no specs are released, it sure looks to be an electret type design, like an in ear Akg k340...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back