Show us your vintage headphones!
Sep 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,576 of 3,128
and lol only if I can take the driver out safely, which I doubt as I dont see any screwholes on the housing (which means its likely held in with glue).

With any luck Hitachi just kept the same basic design as the HD-9.
To open the HD-9 you hold the cup in one hand, apply pressure to the earpads with the other and twist anticlockwise - should be childs-play after all your work on the Sansui - that's also got a twist type thingy right?

Anyway... then inside the driver is held down by three plastic tabs with flanges which hold it in place. Was pretty easy actually, but the plastic isn't the best, I half snapped one tab in the process... now it's just sort of sitting there like a wobbly tooth.
Yeah the Sansui is twist off. As for the Hitachi I think the twist off mechanism was kept; I'm noticing some suspicious gaps between the pads and earcups in the few pictures available on the internet.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,577 of 3,128
With any luck Hitachi just kept the same basic design as the HD-9.
To open the HD-9 you hold the cup in one hand, apply pressure to the earpads with the other and twist anticlockwise - should be childs-play after all your work on the Sansui - that's also got a twist type thingy right?
Kinda like the Yoga CD880 then? Except in this case the cup opens?

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #1,578 of 3,128
A rare pair of vintage Pioneer SE-L40 headphones, manufactured between 1971-74! I was watching The Boat That Rocked and one of the DJs was wearing a pair of headphones that looked so cool and I didn't recognise them at all. Despite some research, I couldn't seem to get any info on them anywhere, yet my girlfriend only went and found out what they were and got me a pair! They're in stunning condition too. Beauties!!

I need more time with them before I can make serious commet on their sound, but they certainly sound very 'interesting'....

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,579 of 3,128
  A rare pair of vintage Pioneer SE-L40 headphones, manufactured between 1971-74! I was watching The Boat That Rocked and one of the DJs was wearing a pair of headphones that looked so cool and I didn't recognise them at all.

And another one was a flower power painted DT48, worn, if I remember correctly, by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,580 of 3,128

My Pioneer SE-700. Gorgeous headphones though much smaller in person than I expected. I had to put the pads through the washer and dryer as that nasty pleather was flaking off everywhere even into my ear canals! It all came off in the wash/dryer and now soft comfortable non flaking pads. One pad is black and one pad is blue. They sound wonderful and enough bass even though some people on the limited number of posts about them proclaim it has none. They only sound  really good through my Pioneer SX-1050, SX-980, Kenwood KA-7100 oddly my Marantz 4270 does not drive them to acceptable volume why that is, I don't know nothing else of mine (referring to modern stuff though was not expecting it anyway) will drive them and that's fine :p 

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,583 of 3,128

A rare pair of vintage Pioneer SE-L40 headphones

"rare"

Now now takie-boy, don't tease... our definition of rare is warped by years and years of hitting the 'refresh' button at 1am on websites we don't even understand the language they're in....

@amigomatt - don't listen to him! it's not worth it! turn back now while you still have a life!

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,584 of 3,128

[COLOR=141823]A rare pair of vintage Pioneer SE-L40 headphones[/COLOR]

"rare"

Now now takie-boy, don't tease... our definition of rare is warped by years and years of hitting the 'refresh' button at 1am on websites we don't even understand the language they're in....

@amigomatt
 - don't listen to him! it's not worth it! turn back now while you still have a life!

Hey guys, I understand exactly where you're coming from with 'rare' and I completely understand this interjection but you well understand where I'm coming from too! Keep up the good work :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,585 of 3,128
^haha

Thanks for the glamour shots on the Pioneer, they are still classy. I think a few folks have even transplanted ortho drivers into those shells.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,586 of 3,128
Hi,

This is my first post here. I was told that you guys might have more information about these.

Braun KH-1000 (designed in 1967)

I found these from a thrift store for couple of euros. As far as I know KH-1000 were the first headphones the West German Braun manufactured. The design was by Reinhold Weiss working for Dieter Rams design department. The year was 1967. It has lightweight, adjustable metal frame and soft rubber ear pads are filled with liquid.

One source says these were manufactured between 1967-1975. Original retail price was 180 Deutsche Marks.

I appreciate any further information!

I build an adapter for this special 5-pin DIN connector and last nights test was successful! No rattle and sound quality is still awesome (at least compared to my cheapos!)

For some reason the forum does't allow me to include pictures into my message(?), but here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/U3keG

Cheers,

Tomi

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,587 of 3,128
I've been around here long enough to know that this model rarely gets a mention... i only know of one other owner of this model here on headfi who also really likes it... 
but i've never seen proper detailed photos of the inside or seen one in real life, and much less reliable descriptions of it's sound quality.
Very little info on these TBH - also very few of these outside of Germany and Austria, so most of the discussions appear only on German language forums. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,588 of 3,128
Hi,

first of all I am not sure where to put this question. I am looking for information about 70s and 80s Sennheiser headphones.
I think catalogues are good starting points to get lots of informations in pictures about them.

Does Sennheiser has such catalogues that you can browse like all models done in 1970-89?
Is there readily a list of such headphones somewhere in the internet?

As you can see from my questions I don't have much info of them and no place to start digging.
Sure I can search them blindly from eBay or similar places but then I need to know what to look for.
Let say I want to have all models done in 1974. First I need to know names of all models, right?
Hence the catalogues. Obviously I am not planning to get everything but I like to know what they [Sennheiser] have created.

I already have Sennheiser HD414 ordered. That was my father's headphones back in the 80s.
Not sure if he got them already in the 70s. That was my first time when I heard music sounding good.
Yes I am biased for the sound but let me live :)

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,589 of 3,128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back