Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,563 of 3,128
  Sorry this isn't MY headphone... 
A new trend has started a few months ago on German ebay, and it's now getting pretty ridiculous :)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Vintage-Sony-MDR-5A-Headphones-Star-Lord-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-/331604294539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4d3527fb8b

Funny, these are for sale on a Dutch trading board, with no bids at all: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/koptelefoons-en-headsets/m947353321-sony-dr-5a-retro-vintage-koptelefoon-erg-mooi.html?c=efb2ef4dc323389c4f92ed10afa33e3a&previousPage=lr

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,564 of 3,128
The MDR-5A is a lot rarer and much more desirable than the DR-5A (for a collector)
It was one of the original Walkman headphones, so they're naturally extremely difficult to find in good condition and an important part of Sony history.

The other DR-5A is really nothing special from a historical or collectors POV.
Still doesn't justify it being the price of an HD800

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,565 of 3,128
A couple more to share today
smily_headphones1.gif

First is a Toshiba HR-50X 2-way dynamic. Apparently it uses two cones, one 50mm and one 80mm. Doing a sweep, you can clearly identify the crossover is at 400Hz because there's a dip at that frequency. It also has a built-in crossfeed function. Interestingly, the caps don't charge up instantly, so you can actually hear the crossfeed engaging when you turn it on, eg vocals will recede out-of-head over the course of a second or so. Rather boomy bass and bloomy mids. An enjoyable and "fun" sound.

Second is a Napolex CTX-3 "full open air" dynamic, similar to the MDR-F1. Zero subbass as you can expect, but is quite smooth otherwise. Great for hot summer months
rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,566 of 3,128
A couple more to share today :)

First is a Toshiba HR-50X 2-way dynamic. Apparently it uses two cones, one 50mm and one 80mm. Doing a sweep, you can clearly identify the crossover is at 400Hz because there's a dip at that frequency. It also has a built-in crossfeed function. Interestingly, the caps don't charge up instantly, so you can actually hear the crossfeed engaging when you turn it on, eg vocals will recede out-of-head over the course of a second or so. Rather boomy bass and bloomy mids. An enjoyable and "fun" sound.

Second is a Napolex CTX-3 "full open air" dynamic, similar to the MDR-F1. Zero subbass as you can expect, but is quite smooth otherwise. Great for hot summer months :rolleyes:

Holy **** I'm jealous of that Napolex. I doubt it, but if you ever want to sell it, let me know.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,569 of 3,128
Hitachi HD-9
These have unique 'gathered' diaphragms. Basically they're folded in a concentric manner (like a kids paper fan) around the outer circumference of the diaphragm. 
The resolution out of these old driver is actually rather superb, but the bass and treble roll off like the Grand Canyon. 
These need VERY careful equalization, which makes them pretty fiddly and annoying to use enjoyably.

Man, what an interesting design. Do you happen to have any images of the diaphragm?

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,570 of 3,128

Man, what an interesting design. Do you happen to have any images of the diaphragm?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/202122/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread/375#post_11856181

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,572 of 3,128
Really excited about this one, guys.

Hitachi HD-S9 Samarium Cobalt and Gathered Edge

This is the earliest headphone I've seen (save for the senns) with detachable cables. The HD-S9 is positioned at the top of Hitachi's LO-D lineup in the 1980s and uses a very very intriguing driver design. 

This is a bit different than the previous model HD-9 (which GREQ just posted about) in that the center dome is aluminum, while the outer edge is some form of polymer (likely mylar), with the typical pleats/folds. This should move all of the strain on the flexing area of the diaphragm to the edges and allow much lower distortion and better resonance behavior than a typical mylar dome. It's also gorgeous. Compare to the HD-9 driver:

Unfortunately, the pair I nabbed off eBay isn't in anywhere near as good shape as the pair pictured above, but that's never stopped me before.

Here's KANA's blog post about it and a Headphone Museum entry: 

http://yaplog.jp/headphones/archive/33

http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/LOD/HD-S9.html

Should be here just in time for my birthday. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,573 of 3,128
Ah! so you nabbed that awful looking one from Italy.. was wondering when that one would go.

I can't imagine it being much better than the HD-9... I would expect good/excellent transients but poor FR extremities. 

Please post a detailed driver shot! Pretty please!

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,574 of 3,128

I can't imagine it being much better than the HD-9... I would expect good/excellent transients but poor FR extremities. 

Please post a detailed driver shot! Pretty please!

Dunno. We'll see. Probably not anything special compared to what I've heard but it's intriguing nonetheless. I like fixing up old ****.

and lol only if I can take the driver out safely, which I doubt as I dont see any screwholes on the housing (which means its likely held in with glue).

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,575 of 3,128

and lol only if I can take the driver out safely, which I doubt as I dont see any screwholes on the housing (which means its likely held in with glue).

With any luck Hitachi just kept the same basic design as the HD-9.
To open the HD-9 you hold the cup in one hand, apply pressure to the earpads with the other and twist anticlockwise - should be childs-play after all your work on the Sansui - that's also got a twist type thingy right?

Anyway... then inside the driver is held down by three plastic tabs with flanges which hold it in place. Was pretty easy actually, but the plastic isn't the best, I half snapped one tab in the process... now it's just sort of sitting there like a wobbly tooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back