Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,501 of 3,128

Currently the Vintage I'm hunting for, is the HE-60, it's the only headphone that comes close to my DT48. 

I've not yet heard a DT48... but I've read enough to know that's an unusual opinion.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,502 of 3,128
  I would like to see if Fostex T50v2 compares to all other variants NAD RP-18 and if v1 is significantly better.

We'll be able to compare it to an RP18 mylar soon but for now here are the three Tyll has measured:

A stock Fostex T50v2:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50.pdf

A stock Sansui SS-100:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SansuiSS100.pdf

And finally, Kabeer's modded Aiwa HP-500:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AiwaHP500DIYModifiedKabeer.pdf

Given the massive difference Kabeer's mods seem to have made, I'm gonna try modding my SS-100 and see if I can achieve similar results. Despite what the distortion suggests, the bass does not drop off a cliff like that, but is instead quite prominent and noticeably (not problematically, but definitely noticeably) warm/smeared. I probably won't be able to achieve quite the same level of results due to lack of earcup space, but we'll see.

We'll also be able to see a modded RP18  soon after the stock one as well. I'm not certain, but Kabeer might have used different pads on the HP500, which would account for the better seal. I will note that using different pads on my RP18 mylar yielded immensely good results.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,503 of 3,128
I recently put a pair of Lawton pads on the T50v2 and that does improve the bass, and especially midbass, response dramatically. I feel that in terms of slam, it still is a smidgeon less than other planars that measure flat down to 0Hz but that's without one on hand to compare, just that it doesn't sound that much more visceral against the Stax I do have. Also, the Lawton pads introduce some unevenness to the treble such that you lose some of the smoothness and coherency that you have with stock pads, and mids lose some of its presence. I suppose that's inevitable going from supra to circumaural pads. To start, it seems like mods to the exposed baffle are in order, now that the pads don't cover the entire thing. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the issues.

@tak: I assume you have stock pads on the SS-100? I would strongly recommend splurging on a nice set of pads, the difference in comfort really cannot be overstated. I would go with Stax pads, their cavities are roomier and foam less dense, allowing for better seal and drivers sitting closer to the ears. Now that you have your dream phones in the SS-100, I feel it would be best to start with something you can wear for extended periods, then work your mods around that. Keep us posted about those mods, I for one am keenly interested, and to see what I can apply to my T50.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,505 of 3,128
It looks like it would sound good, but lack the full body you'd expect from almost any half decent ortho with superior (flat) bass extension.
I don't mind being proven wrong by a Leak owner *eagerly looks around the room*

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,506 of 3,128
Got a question for you vintage headphone experts. I recently got the German Maestro 8.35 D, and I noticed certain design elements about it that look very similar to headphones I've seen in this thread, that in particular, were German made in the 70's. Primarily Sennheiser & Beyerdynamic headphones.  

I'm curious about the history of the 8.35 D. I know German Maestro was originally MB Quart and that the headphones have been around for many years under the MB Quart brand. I'd just like to know how far back the lineage goes. The design elements make me think this headphone has been around since the 70's with different model #'s and such.

BTW, lovin this thread I went through every single page just to look at the pictures, didn't do too much reading though. That woulda took a lot of time.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,507 of 3,128
I had an OEM vintage MB Quart under the name 'Stanton' once, and it had an IDENTICAL cable to my vintage Beyerdynamic DT990.
It's not much, but possibly gives us an idea of at least the direction they were taking and who they thought their main rivals were.
It's not a design element, but Beyer are not known for using cheap, low quality parts, so I thought it was interesting at the time.

Never saw any similarity with any Sennheiser though ._.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,508 of 3,128
  I had an OEM vintage MB Quart under the name 'Stanton' once, and it had an IDENTICAL cable to my vintage Beyerdynamic DT990.
It's not much, but possibly gives us an idea of at least the direction they were taking and who they thought their main rivals were.
It's not a design element, but Beyer are not known for using cheap, low quality parts, so I thought it was interesting at the time.

Never saw any similarity with any Sennheiser though ._.

The similar design elements that were shared between the companies were very subtle like these certain plastic pieces on headband arms right were the extenders join with the headband were very similar. Also the pattern cut into the plastic of the cups were similar, not the same, but close enough to share design sensibilities. The design of the padding inside the headband was very close on some models. Just little minute things that other headphones don't have, and only really seemed to be used by these companies in the 70's. Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser left those elements in the past, but German Maestro seems to keep their original designs pretty much intact.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,510 of 3,128
  Echo ED-1000 electrets. Picked these up on a whim a while ago thinking they may have some kinda larger driver. Turns out they weren't anything that special so up for sale they go. Before they leave, some pics:

PM me before resorting to eBay, dude... Ive been looking for these.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,511 of 3,128
The bottom picture shows the baffle vents, then below that the silver dustguard film, then driver behind that. Is that correct?
 Sort of looks like Philips OEM, but my memory is off at the moment. What size is the driver? If it is larger then likely the case.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,512 of 3,128
It goes dust film, top of driver capsule, stator with holes. Then I assume the opaque thing under that is the coated diaphragm. The second to last photo is the driver in situ, and I just flipped it over for the last photo. Here's a photo of the interior of the housing on the ear side:

That's a ring of thin card stock, no idea why they would use that there. The diameter of the driver assembly is 75mm and the center aperture is 50mm.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #1,513 of 3,128
€3 auction find:
Elega DR-206C
Sold under the name "Alaric 1201"

Headband seems to be real learher with metal hinges. Backs are plastic. Not the most comfortable pair of cans. They sound very vintage. Light bass, rolled off highs, overall veiled sound. But they have a decent soundstage and nice mids. Not someting I'd use, but I'm thinking of starting a collection so thats one more pair for that.
2b53d66c8b6d149df3890b91044e8ef9.jpg

3fd24b6fb11837e0a630d2b4155f168d.jpg

25ee196853f45fd11b9c231b9a1c1b01.jpg

d5a291006557fe911c1e543e400e795e.jpg

And here is my second vintage pair: Saba H200. Made by AKG, it's a K240 sextett with custom headband and case backs. A €5 thrift store find, they have seen very little use and came with the box.

ad04702e7efb42294a86e3d6deba50ad.jpg

79836b317cf6df2cb0c841571e46a41b.jpg

d1dfe298da00c0fc8369cc1ea7346455.jpg

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,514 of 3,128
And I just realized that I have some old generic pads left over that fit these headphones so I popped them on and wow, instant upgrade. More bass, cleaner mids, better highs, more isolation.

0be0c2b56492d0ed365ce003410ce345.jpg

b532b8440da45c4b20e95f37b803bb6c.jpg

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,515 of 3,128
Great news with the new pads, that's probably how they sounded new!
Cool.

Speaking of cool = the SABA.
blink.gif
beerchug.gif
At first glance on the side i thought they were the rarer black AKG K141 missing the red and black badges, but even better. I think those SABA ones you have there are the best looking of the odd K240/50/60 variations, second best is ( you'll think I am nuts but )  the Philips version with the big white Philips logos.

Fantastic finds.
Cheap , vintage, and sound good, what more can someone want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back