Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 17, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,516 of 3,128
  Great news with the new pads, that's probably how they sounded new!
Cool.

Speaking of cool = the SABA.
blink.gif
beerchug.gif
At first glance on the side i thought they were the rarer black AKG K141 missing the red and black badges, but even better. I think those SABA ones you have there are the best looking of the odd K240/50/60 variations, second best is ( you'll think I am nuts but )  the Philips version with the big white Philips logos.

Fantastic finds.
Cheap , vintage, and sound good, what more can someone want.

Thanks! 
k701smile.gif

I also thought the Saba looked cool, they have a really simplistic design, just solid matte black. 

As for the Philips, do you mean the SBC 3178? I believe those are K260s. I don't know why but I love those big logos, like the big Yamaha logos on their orthodynamic headbands and on the back of their pianos/synthesizers/mixing consoles.

The K240 I think would sound even better with decent amping, they want well over 17 volts of output swing for maximum SPL and headroom. I'm thinking of trying them with my HQ Power VPA2100U1 rack amplifier. It's rated for 100Wpc at 4 ohms. That should be a swing of about 28.3 volts.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,517 of 3,128
I was just offered some more vintage cans, can anybody tell me about them and what I should offer?

I know most of them are probably cheap as **** but I want to give them a shot. 

Here's what we're dealing with:

SONIX JM-209

UNISOUND SA-5100

Unknown cans. They say "made in Austria" and LB8 or LBB or L88 or whatever, followed by 9902/00. I think these are pretty cool.
TDS-1. Dynamic paper cone. Nothing special but they look cool and are built well. I want to get a pair just to mod them with new drivers.
ORIENT OH-800

SOUND MD-802D

TDS-1 with lettering gone

TDS-1 in very good condition

Any of them worth grabbing and what should I offer? I definitely want to get at least one pair of TDS-1 and the "Made in Austria" cans

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,518 of 3,128
The L88's are Philips phones which were recomended for the old Philcordia organ. Probably a manual in Dutch somewhere floating around on the web.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,519 of 3,128
They look very similar to Philips N6301 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_n6301.html
Maybe the same headphones? According to the specs they should perform alright like any standard headphones. 20hz-20Khz freq. response and 600ohm impedance. 

They're asking €15 per pair, which is quite a bit. Should I try and barter? I'd like to get the Philips and the minty pair of TDS-1. How much should I offer? The other ones are probably generic poop, no way I'm paying €15 for any of them, wouldn't even pay that for all 3 pairs. I'm thinking 10 for the Philips and 5 for the TDS?

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,520 of 3,128
Bump, need opinions please!

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,521 of 3,128
I wouldn't get any of them personally. They all look like they'd have cheap, low fidelity paper-cone drivers inside.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,522 of 3,128
  I wouldn't get any of them personally. They all look like they'd have cheap, low fidelity paper-cone drivers inside.

What about the Philips ones? The ones that say "Made in Austria" and have the big red R on the side? Those might be something cool, tho?

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,523 of 3,128
No one uses the word 'vintage' correctly.  It's supposed to be used like 'circa'.  So you'd say I have vintage 1970 Stax headphones etc.

Carry on...

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,524 of 3,128
  No one uses the word 'vintage' correctly.  It's supposed to be used like 'circa'.  So you'd say I have vintage 1970 Stax headphones etc.

Carry on...

Actually since the word 'vintage' has the sole purpose of categorizing wine by it's year of production, nothing else should ever be described using the word 'vintage'.
Therefore everyone would have to say "70's (or 80's) headphone". 

But that's the nature of language; it is in a constant state of flux.
The purists will continue to argue what is proper and correct, while the rest will just continue to use words how either they see fit, or how they observe the rest of the world to use them.

(Sorry for the derailment)

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,525 of 3,128
  Actually since the word 'vintage' has the sole purpose of categorizing wine by it's year of production, nothing else should ever be described using the word 'vintage'.
Therefore everyone would have to say "70's (or 80's) headphone". 

But that's the nature of language; it is in a constant state of flux.
The purists will continue to argue what is proper and correct, while the rest will just continue to use words how either they see fit, or how they observe the rest of the world to use them.

(Sorry for the derailment)

Not entirely correct here's two definitions of the word thanks to Merriam-Webster
: the grapes or wine produced during one season
: a period in which something was made or was begun

The second definition was a later creation of course, probably a misconception that became part of recorded language.  Soon the new use of vintage will probably be added as a true definition.
/end of derailment

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,529 of 3,128
  And a further nudge, I've always liked this photo...

Guess the headphones!

And solutions
smily_headphones1.gif

Left: Audio-Technica ATH-AD9
Center: Audio-Technica ATH-A9X
Right: Zenith Unknown Model

Curiously I wasn't able to find any info on the Zeniths in English even though it's an American brand. Yes in Japanese though: http://organ1969.exblog.jp/21724989/.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back