Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #13,773 of 41,132
Classic Marantz recievers are works of art... what's the one that most people like?
-edit- oops, I just looked closer, and that's not a Marantz Receiver. It DOES look awfully similar to the one I'm thinking of.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #13,774 of 41,132
Jun 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #13,775 of 41,132
Quote:
First post in this thread.

Thus far this is all I have, my HD558s hooked to my laptop running Foobar2k FLAC files. Ive got them resting on this nifty little CD rack I got at a good will store, press the buttons on the right side and the tray slides out where you can put the entire CD case, they lock into the slider and you can open the cases while keeping them in the rack. 

I hope to add a Schiit stack to the equation pretty soon, so Ill report back in then. Also sorry about the bad picture, the camera in the Galaxy S4 doesnt do too well in low light.

Haha ! Nice ASUS 'subwoofer' you got there! I got the same laptop :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #13,776 of 41,132
Just a note for anyone looking to get a vintage amp/receiver.

Do some research on models, its worth putting the time in. And don't blind buy on something that looks pretty.

Look for amps that have been serviced recently (recapped etc) unless they are in 'timewarp' condition. Otherwise they may not last the first track off your fave tester album. Also, amps that are 30+ year old don't have the black backround that we are used to with modern hp amps and even restored ones will show some hiss the higher up the volume you go.

These are BIG and very heavy machines.

The hp out's are high impedance. 

Like anything that becomes popular, it becomes expensive. Makes such as Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer are becoming very sort after and so its worth researching other makes of the 70's and early 80's to get more bang for buck. JVC, Technics, Kenwood/Trio, Rotel to name a few.    

Be prepared to be blown away by a high-end sound for a few hundred bucks :D 

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #13,777 of 41,132
Some of the knobs and switches on vintage amps can be mesmerizing. Take the classic '70's Silver-faced Pioneer receivers, for example... be 
size]
careful.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #13,778 of 41,132
What does the public think of the Kenwood KR-v5570 reciever I've got? I haven't seen anyone anywhere mention it, so I dont know how it compares to say a shiny pretty Marantz.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,779 of 41,132
A bit of a tip for anyone buying vintage receivers... Sherwood! They aren't yet well known so it's pretty easy to get a good deal on them. And they have a very interesting feature that I haven't seen anywhere else. A front panel 1/4'' jack that runs directly off of your source. I find it very good for testing out DACs and for doing 'general purpose' stuff like watching youtube videos. I'm always going to have one of these around so that I can test and see what colorations are the result of my choice of source and which are from the amp. I suppose you could also test out other tweaks upstream that way too(cables for example?) The only concern is volume, with my PC's volume maxed out it plays just under the level I'd normally listen at with my Beyer T90s. The detail is all there running them this way but it tends to sound a bit sterile. The output in question is marked 'tape' on the front.

Also I've found the Sherwoods to sound noticeably better than the now popular Pioneer SX-780 receivers.

And forgive me if I've already posted this, but my new(ish) turntable. A SOTA Satellite with a Magnepan Unitrac I tonearm and Nagaoka MP150 cartridge. It's a much better table than the Dual 701 pictured above. The SOTA has a more traditional 'analog' sound while the early 70s Dual actually sounds very 'digital'. A bit harsh, sterile, and overly dynamic. I attribute most of that to the tonearm as the Dual drive system is actually quite good(and more accurate than the SOTA).

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #13,781 of 41,132
That's a beauty alright!  
beerchug.gif

But it will be a lot happier with a better place to sit...

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #13,782 of 41,132
Quote:
That's a beauty alright!  
beerchug.gif

But it will be a lot happier with a better place to sit...

Yup. Me thinks it would be a lot happier at my house. I'd feed it well and polish it every night. Just before I plug my quarter inch in.. 
size]

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,785 of 41,132
Quote:
Yup. Me thinks it would be a lot happier at my house. I'd feed it well and polish it every night. Just before I plug my quarter inch in.. 
size]

Reminds me of an old Aerosmith song... watch out for my big (quarter)-inch
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back