Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #12,197 of 41,118
Quote:
Yeah they seem to have a similar problem as kingwa at audio gd, in that he always wants to have the best possible product out by releasing constant revisions. I guess there's arguments for both sides, and I can understand wanting to get some new development out as soon as possible

That is actually quite scary. Whenever I see this sort of thing I always think of MS maintenance releases:) Eventually that kind of behaviour eats a manufacturer as everyone starts waiting for the next great thing which will be out next month and does not buy the current product which eventually leads to discounts on unsold items, which leads to a decrease in the RD money, which leads to absorption by a larger manufacturer with a marketing not RD focus which leads to the product being little more than a NAME.

A planned product cycle is pretty paramount in the CE industy.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #12,199 of 41,118
Quote:
Considering what they cost and what everyone was saying about them it was hard to pass them up. And yeah the stands aren't really lookers but they are extremely functional.
No offense but you would be wrong. The stands are bolt together, but so are magico speaker cabinets, there isn't anything wrong with being bolted together. And they definitely aren't low mass, the stands weigh more than the speakers do. I think a lot of thought went into the stands design and it pays off.

Haha yeah, I read pretty much everything on the Internet about them and came to the conclusion that I had to hear them as well. Drove 3 hours to Cleveland to give them a listen several weeks ago and have just been waiting ever since for mine to arrive.

I used to spend the better part of my days off just experimenting with speaker placement and toe-in settings. The farther from the back wall, to a point, sometimes gives you more bass. Also I actually would use my speakers both at a flat placement and also toe-in depending on what mood I was in. The guy I purchased my speakers from had no toe-in in his set up. I had never seen that and he said "better sound-stage"....he was right!

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #12,200 of 41,118
I've been criticized for too much toe in but I had Maggies before.

These new Harbeths I literally toe in maybe half a centimeter and that's all I need. I like it that way.

Quote:
  I used to spend the better part of my days off just experimenting with speaker placement and toe-in settings. The farther from the back wall, to a point, sometimes gives you more bass. Also I actually would use my speakers both at a flat placement and also toe-in depending on what mood I was in. The guy I purchased my speakers from had no toe-in in his set up. I had never seen that and he said "better sound-stage"....he was right!

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #12,201 of 41,118
Quote:
I've been criticized for too much toe in but I had Maggies before.

These new Harbeths I literally toe in maybe half a centimeter and that's all I need. I like it that way.

Speaker placement is an ongoing thing with any rig I guess. If you stop tweeking then I figure you not trying to get the most out of it. I'm sure there are rules and guides depending on room size and speaker size. I ended up after a solid two years with no toe-in and the speakers 4 feet farther apart???? Go figure? I also added a sub, so maybe that was why?

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #12,202 of 41,118
Toe in gets a bit of play but I do believe in proper distances when it comes to apart vs seating position.

My rooms usually use the equilateral triangle method because of size. I usually do 6, 6, 6.

6ft apart (speakers) and I sit 6 feet away. The other way to do it for me is 6, 6, 12. So 6 feet apart and 12 feet away from the seat. You can of course change this for your room. 8, 8, 8, etc. But I generally find one of those 2 sounds the best.

Equilateral tends to need no toe in (or very very little) and the other needs more toe in to sound proper.

I'm hopefully going to treat my room after we move in a few months and do it right this time.

Quote:
Speaker placement is an ongoing thing with any rig I guess. If you stop tweeking then I figure you not trying to get the most out of it. I'm sure there are rules and guides depending on room size and speaker size. I ended up after a solid two years with no toe-in and the speakers 4 feet farther apart???? Go figure? I also added a sub, so maybe that was why?

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #12,203 of 41,118
Quote:

Yeah ive been playing with placement every 15 minutes or so, so far ive got roughly an equilateral triangle of about 6.5 ft with them point just barely behind my head as the best ive found. The thing is that even with them only 2 ft from the back wall thats as far away as i can get, its basically a nearfield setup in my bedroom, the stage is pretty focused this way though.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #12,204 of 41,118

Mah

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #12,206 of 41,118
Quote:

Just finished my Bottlehead Crack. HD 650s and a Schiit Modi hiding behind the Air.

Nice job! That really looks lovely.

Quote:
Quite a lengthy exposure
wink.gif

Young man!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #12,208 of 41,118

Last look at my Bamboozle's.. They're going on fleabay uk tonight.
eek.gif

Time for a change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back