Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #11,401 of 41,110
Quote:
Quote:
I have that one in the archives! Awesome LP.

On a couple setups I've had, the cannon blasts will throw the needle straight out of the groove.  I played in through my dad's B&W matrix 803's, and the blast was fully extending the drivers (the rest of the track was probably sitting around 70-75dB).  It's certainly my reference for a TT setup's tracking ability.

My problem with recommending that album is that one must be vewy, vewy caweful with it.  One can blow drivers, maybe even amps and possibly damage the stylus.  I've never been tempted for those reasons.  A good set up disc with the appropriate tools would be a better choice, IMHO.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #11,402 of 41,110

I have to say, i really like my denon ah-d 7100

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #11,403 of 41,110
Brought my Rega P2 with Benz Micro Silver cartridge out to play.
Using a David Manley VTL Maximal Preamp's phono section  (2 x 12AX7A triodes) into my MAD HD Super 2.
Sounds superb. May put the CD player away for a while...

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #11,404 of 41,110
Is that an acrylic platter on your P2?

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #11,405 of 41,110
Quote:
Using a David Manley VTL Maximal Preamp's phono section  (2 x 12AX7A triodes) into my MAD HD Super 2.

I don't trust this shot......at all! This pix is endangering me 
evil_smiley.gif
 to skip a Monday night movie with a friend. A beautiful shot I might add, parbaked!

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11,408 of 41,110
Quote:
It's the original mdf platter. I wouldn't get acrylic for this table but maybe glass.
For now the stock plater is working...

That's interesting. The platter mine came with was MDF, but the edge was beveled and it was painted the same color as the table. Different production run, maybe? Mine was from around 2008. I've since upgraded to the glass platter, and it brought a surprisingly noticeable improvement, notably in clarity and timing. I mostly bought it for asthetics, but I was happy to have it improve the sound.

The price, unfortunately seems to have increased in the last few years. I remember reading of a time when they were $75 brand new from Rega. I bought mine used for $90 shipped on eBay, but Needledoctor is asking $135 for the brand new ones. Go figure.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11,409 of 41,110
Quote:
What do you think the next step should be Dub girl? :) 

LCD-2 and HE-500.

I haven't heard the HE-500 yet though, but im putting my D7ks up for sale soon to buy them! 

and as far as the LCD-2 go, I feel they're the high-end version of the HD- 650s, they sound so similar! But then i hear that the HE-500 sound similar to the HD 650 as well lol

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11,410 of 41,110
Quote:

That's interesting. The platter mine came with was MDF, but the edge was beveled and it was painted the same color as the table. Different production run, maybe? Mine was from around 2008. I've since upgraded to the glass platter, and it brought a surprisingly noticeable improvement, notably in clarity and timing. I mostly bought it for asthetics, but I was happy to have it improve the sound.

The price, unfortunately seems to have increased in the last few years. I remember reading of a time when they were $75 brand new from Rega. I bought mine used for $90 shipped on eBay, but Needledoctor is asking $135 for the brand new ones. Go figure.

I bought the P2 in '05. I'd like to get a glass platter if I find an original for <$100. I did try the new resin platter from an RP1 but preferred the MDF. The MDF is actually a pretty solid platform. I think the key is the exterior laminate.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #11,411 of 41,110
new old toy came today.
HPA-2 with PS-1 power supply:

Vinyl for now but still trying to figure out what she should play with...

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #11,412 of 41,110

This really makes me want to pull out my marantz TT and hook it up but I feel that could be a slippery slope lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back