Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #8,506 of 41,315
Quote:
Can you still buy Reel tapes? or are they only collectable from the analogue era?

Yeah, I got all mine on eBay, just plain old 7" factory recorded tapes. A couple places still make and sell blank recording tape too, for our little niche market (here's some: http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Reel-To-Reel-Tape.html but only the RMGI tape is for recording, the other stuff is for like aligning your heads etc., not recording stuff on)

Just search "reel to reel tape" on ebay and refine your results and there's plenty. Here's some (I prefer buy it now myself but play with it all you want to):  http://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Formats-/618/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_nkw=reel+to+reel+tape&_dmpt=Music_Other_Formats&Format=Reel%252Dto%252DReel%2520Tape&rt=nc

I have usually paid around $15 per tape, and $30 for this one that I got in a bidding war with someone for 
rolleyes.gif

If you can find a deck, get some tapes and you'll thank yourself. I found my deck in working condition for $75 at a local record shop, but it has its own quirks that could use some fixing (doesn't record, only plays forward). Look on craigslist and stuff too, but avoid the ones that have built in speakers etc, those are portable ones and are going to be of inferior quality. eBay has plenty too but they're going to be >$200, like for a pretty good one around $400-800 but that'd be a nice, fully restored and serviced TEAC or something, so it's probably worth it for the no hassle (and better decks than you can find anywhere else for sale haha) if you wanna go that way. Lemme know how ya do :)
I'd recommend Tapeheads.net for more help in getting started etc.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #8,508 of 41,315
=
20120923_012357.jpg

here is my Set up 

late 1980's Denon Pma 720 amp (great punchy sound) 
Turntable is a Trio trio kd 1033 turntable refurbished by myself new Linz wiring and what not.
Denon CD Player DCD-560 again late 80's early 1990s I rarely listen to Cd's 
my Headphone amp is a epiphany acoustics ehp-o2 using NwAvGuy's diagnostics 
and this powers the headphones the tricky but great 600 ohm AKG K 240DF.

took me a while to get the system set up exactly as I want it and now I cannot get to bed at night as its soo good. Really would not swap it for anything. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #8,509 of 41,315
Quote:
Gonna have to completely disagree. Makes me wonder what you're spinning vinyl on though.

Some people may not like the more warm sound I guess? For musicality it simply can't be beat by any CD.

I have to disagree listening to the vinyl rips anyways of Pinkfloyd's Wish you were here versus the CD of the same year; the CD bests it in almost every way. I do admit I like the warm sound of vinyl but I hate the non existent dynamic range and constant clicking and popping.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #8,510 of 41,315
Um...What?

Vinyl more often than not has better dynamic range. To my ears, and even the numbers. 

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=mumford&search_album= Just one example, though not a very good one. 

Again...I've heard plenty of vinyl that completely quiet when cleaned properly.

EDIT: I can definitely understand people not liking that good ol' RIAA, but the comment about dynamic range throws me off. It's one of the main reasons to buy more modern stuff on vinyl over CDs. Even new stuff like the Mumford & Sons album (which really deserves much better mastering) gets better dynamic range.

Quote:
I have to disagree listening to the vinyl rips anyways of Pinkfloyd's Wish you were here versus the CD of the same year; the CD bests it in almost every way. I do admit I like the warm sound of vinyl but I hate the non existent dynamic range and constant clicking and popping.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8,511 of 41,315
Quote:
Yeah, I got all mine on eBay, just plain old 7" factory recorded tapes. A couple places still make and sell blank recording tape too, for our little niche market (here's some: http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Reel-To-Reel-Tape.html but only the RMGI tape is for recording, the other stuff is for like aligning your heads etc., not recording stuff on)

Just search "reel to reel tape" on ebay and refine your results and there's plenty. Here's some (I prefer buy it now myself but play with it all you want to):  http://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Formats-/618/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_nkw=reel+to+reel+tape&_dmpt=Music_Other_Formats&Format=Reel%252Dto%252DReel%2520Tape&rt=nc

I have usually paid around $15 per tape, and $30 for this one that I got in a bidding war with someone for 
rolleyes.gif

If you can find a deck, get some tapes and you'll thank yourself. I found my deck in working condition for $75 at a local record shop, but it has its own quirks that could use some fixing (doesn't record, only plays forward). Look on craigslist and stuff too, but avoid the ones that have built in speakers etc, those are portable ones and are going to be of inferior quality. eBay has plenty too but they're going to be >$200, like for a pretty good one around $400-800 but that'd be a nice, fully restored and serviced TEAC or something, so it's probably worth it for the no hassle (and better decks than you can find anywhere else for sale haha) if you wanna go that way. Lemme know how ya do :)
I'd recommend Tapeheads.net for more help in getting started etc.

Nice one, thanks for that

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #8,512 of 41,315
Quote:
Um...What?

Vinyl more often than not has better dynamic range. To my ears, and even the numbers. 

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=mumford&search_album= Just one example, though not a very good one. 

Again...I've heard plenty of vinyl that completely quiet when cleaned properly.

EDIT: I can definitely understand people not liking that good ol' RIAA, but the comment about dynamic range throws me off. It's one of the main reasons to buy more modern stuff on vinyl over CDs. Even new stuff like the Mumford & Sons album (which really deserves much better mastering) gets better dynamic range.

I'm guessing the greater dynamic range is due to different mastering on the vinyl than the CD. I thought the actual physical dynamic range of vinyl itself was less than CD...?

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8,513 of 41,315
That's how I understand it, but the numbers speak for themselves as far as actually hearing it goes. 

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=tool&search_album= Another example. 

Floyd is a strange beast though. Because it's been redone so many time I'm not surprised at some of these numbers. I could see WYWH sounding better via CD, but for the most part I'd still take vinyl if dynamic range is something you love.

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=pink+floyd&search_album=wish+you+were+here

Quote:

I'm guessing the greater dynamic range is due to different mastering on the vinyl than the CD. I thought the actual physical dynamic range of vinyl itself was less than CD...?

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8,514 of 41,315
Oh, and just to be on topic. Here's a new picture. I decided I wanted the recliner as my listening chair instead of the Poang (which is now in the TV room).

EDIT: Mmmmm...Microfiber.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8,515 of 41,315
Quote:
Oh, and just to be on topic. Here's a new picture. I decided I wanted the recliner as my listening chair instead of the Poang (which is now in the TV room).

What stand is that for the Macbook?

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #8,516 of 41,315

If we don't hear from you for a couple of days we're sending in the rescue squad...they will find you under the bags of Doritos with a silly smile on your face and your LL melted to the desk!

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #8,518 of 41,315
http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Design-10032-mStand-Laptop/dp/B000OOYECC

Quote:
What stand is that for the Macbook?

I'm actually out of Doritos, unfortunately. I had some popcorn and a quesadilla today though. That was fun. 

Quote:
If we don't hear from you for a couple of days we're sending in the rescue squad...they will find you under the bags of Doritos with a silly smile on your face and your LL melted to the desk!

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #8,519 of 41,315
There is nothing that inherently sounds better about the vinyl medium.  It happens to be that many vinyl releases are taken from older masters instead of "remastered" like CD re-releases that are often victims of the loudness war.  Even among current releases, vinyl masters can be superior as it is assumed it is released for the audiophile where other formats may be released for radioplay/average listeners who like it loud.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #8,520 of 41,315
Right on both accounts. I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
There is nothing that inherently sounds better about the vinyl medium.  It happens to be that many vinyl releases are taken from older masters instead of "remastered" like CD re-releases that are often victims of the loudness war.  Even among current releases, vinyl masters can be superior as it is assumed it is released for the audiophile where other formats may be released for radioplay/average listeners who like it loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back