Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5,867 of 41,120
May 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5,868 of 41,120
Quote:

I'm liking your perspective on this.  
smile.gif

And I hold Devore Fidelity in high regard, so what you're saying pushes me just that much closer to MMGs.  

MT, what do you use to power them?  Trying to get an idea of what would be adequate and an idea of what total cost might be.

I agree with MT about power...Maggies love lots of current, but for the MMGs I would just pick up a used 2-channel amp and avoid using a receiver. Used parasound, Rotel, B&K, anthem, outlaw, emotiva, etc, etc should be just fine. 100wpc and stable into 4 ohms is all you need to be happy.

I'm gonna break the rules and show a past pic of my DeVores...great little speakers!

May 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #5,869 of 41,120
As I said before I'm going to end up at an fork in the road come the end of the year where I'll need to pick between Maggies, Stats, and good ol' boxes. I'll be auditioning a lot more than I did before getting the MMGs because I'd like to really get to a settling down point with my system and just get more music. 

Lots of people say this, but after 2 years of fiddling I think I'm really starting to get to the point where I'm sick of buying gear and just want to relax and listen. 

I can tell my headphone journey is almost up (a few more I'd like to try) concerning amps and cans, and I've got a pretty good idea of where I want my sources and speakers to be.

So close, yet so far away. The gear urge will never stop, but I can feel myself getting very close to 'satisfied'.

Oh, and to be on the off topic...I'm looking at Zu speakers, more Maggies (1.7s), or some various stat models (not MLs).

May 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #5,870 of 41,120
Quote:
As I said before I'm going to end up at an fork in the road come the end of the year where I'll need to pick between Maggies, Stats, and good ol' boxes. I'll be auditioning a lot more than I did before getting the MMGs because I'd like to really get to a settling down point with my system and just get more music. 

Lots of people say this, but after 2 years of fiddling I think I'm really starting to get to the point where I'm sick of buying gear and just want to relax and listen. 

I can tell my headphone journey is almost up (a few more I'd like to try) concerning amps and cans, and I've got a pretty good idea of where I want my sources and speakers to be.

So close, yet so far away. The gear urge will never stop, but I can feel myself getting very close to 'satisfied'.

Oh, and to be on the off topic...I'm looking at Zu speakers, more Maggies (1.7s), or some various stat models (not MLs).

this is pretty much where i am right now.
i have stumbled upon the headphones and related gear that give me the most enjoyment.
and i just can't see any upward movement at this point in time...

so as far as my audio journey, it is vinyl and speakers, phono stages, and the like....  for now....

May 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5,871 of 41,120
Quote:

Awesome.  How much do those run?  Are they a now-discontinued model?  & what projector do you use?

Quote:
...I'd like to really get to a settling down point with my system and just get more music. 

Thankfully, I'm already there.  
smile.gif
  Maybe an LCD-3 to consolidate my 2 phones sometime down the pipeline, or maybe not.  No complaints either way.

May 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,872 of 41,120
Quote:

Awesome.  How much do those run?  Are they a now-discontinued model?  & what projector do you use?

Thankfully, I'm already there.  
smile.gif
  Maybe an LCD-3 to consolidate my 2 phones sometime down the pipeline, or maybe not.  No complaints either way.

Those were around 5k back in 2006...John DeVore has updated the line and I've heard that the current models are even better. Actually he's right there in your part of the world, right in NYC. John is a great guy...you can take a lot of pride owning his stuff.  As for projector, I went to a Epson 3010 last year...it's their entry level 3D and for the money it's really great. I'm actually considering adding a headphone set-up to it for use in addition to the Maggies...I love watching movies with headphones lately.

May 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #5,873 of 41,120
Update: HeadRoom UDAC - HeadRoom DPSU - HeadRoom BUDA - Whiplash Audio TWag V2 - Sennhesier HD650.

May 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5,876 of 41,120
Quote:
Those were around 5k back in 2006...John DeVore has updated the line and I've heard that the current models are even better. Actually he's right there in your part of the world, right in NYC. John is a great guy...you can take a lot of pride owning his stuff.  As for projector, I went to a Epson 3010 last year...it's their entry level 3D and for the money it's really great. I'm actually considering adding a headphone set-up to it for use in addition to the Maggies...I love watching movies with headphones lately.

I've heard John's 3XL's before.  Amazing.  

May 3, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #5,877 of 41,120
May 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,878 of 41,120

Make sure to listen to a lot of different amps with those Zu speakers. They are very picky about their power source.

May 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5,880 of 41,120
Quote:
I know the local Zu dealer pretty well so I might just haul my amps down there and have a party.
biggrin.gif

Zus being so efficient I'm considering a pair to go with my WA5 once it gets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back