Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5,600 of 41,067

Quote:
I really do, but I can see how that'd be funny. If I could sleep on my back, I would probably sleep with cans on most nights.

Oh, I thought you were joking about literally sleeping IN the heaphones....like, "I love them so much, I just want to get IN them!" :wink:

Most nights I don't really intend to forget to take them off, but I found my favorite sports talk radio station from Philly available on my iTunes...so after I listen to some music, I relax with some sports talk and end up falling asleep.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #5,602 of 41,067

Quote:

You have excellent taste! :) 

I've always thought that Totem speakers were some of the sharpest looking on the market...not to mention they sound great. Like you, I'm a Beyerdynamic and Grado guy, and very happy with my Little Dot amp, as well. Good luck with the 880s...and don't forget that if they aren't quite your cup of tea, the T1s are waiting for you with open arms (haha)

I do love the Totems. I've wanted to upgrade to better pair for a while, but the Rainmakers are just so great for the price. 

Regarding the Beyerdynamics--do you have a lot of experience with their stuff? I was initially going to buy the dt-770's because I wanted a good closed back headphone, but I went for the 880's on a whim at the last minute. I knew I'd probably like them better, and I couldn't resist. Since we have such similar taste, can you recommend a good closed-back headphone in that price range? Also, have you done any tube rolling with the little dot?

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,603 of 41,067
Are you using it with a NAS hooked up to your router? 

The squeezebox touch is connected via Wireless and my computer does most of the dirty work. At the Village Meet this weekend it will do its own processing and grab songs from a USB thumbdrive.

Are you running the Touch straight from the RCA outs or using another DAC?

Right now I'm using RCA outs, I plan on getting an ODAC when they release. I've done a lot of streamlining and rooted Touch Toolbox 3.0 to get the ST as efficient as possible. The analog outs sound better than stock and are good enough at this point that I'm not sure if an ODAC is necessary with the Crack (its not highly detailed) but it will be cheap enough to play around with.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,604 of 41,067

Quote:

Is that a Denon DP-23F? My dad has that in his rig. Doesn't sound too bad for a fully automatic. :p

Indeed it is! Got it pretty cheap because it wasn't in working order. My first ever turntable and I'm happy with the sound. Michael Jackson, for instance, was a completely new (and better) experience :)

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5,605 of 41,067

Quote:

I do love the Totems. I've wanted to upgrade to better pair for a while, but the Rainmakers are just so great for the price. 

Regarding the Beyerdynamics--do you have a lot of experience with their stuff? I was initially going to buy the dt-770's because I wanted a good closed back headphone, but I went for the 880's on a whim at the last minute. I knew I'd probably like them better, and I couldn't resist. Since we have such similar taste, can you recommend a good closed-back headphone in that price range? Also, have you done any tube rolling with the little dot?

My experience with BeyerDs started with the DT880s a couple months ago. I liked them well enough, but I can't say I liked them more than my Grado 325s. Jan Meier of Meier Audio, the guy I bought my amp from, has a package deal with the T1s and the Sennheiser HD800s. I had only received the amp a couple days earlier, so I asked if he'd honor his package deal pricing if I ordered a pair of T1s on the spot - he agreed. The T1s are a significant step up, in my opinion, but for the price tag I think the DT880s are a very solid headphone. On top of that, they are amazingly comfortable.

The guy you want to talk to about BeyerDs is Zombie_X. He's here on head-fi and he's got some videos on youtube comparing the 770s, 880s, 990s, and the T1s. Here's his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheZXReviews   You can also PM him here on head-fi.

The closed headphone I often hear others rave about in the same price range is the Denon AD-H2000. I've never heard it, though, so can't really offer much help unfortunately.

With regard to the LD amp, I have a tube guy that I trust and he suggested I go with some AEG/Telefunken NOS tubes. I had the stock tubes in for a few days and then installed the new ones. I didn't do a lot of comparing, but the LIttle Dot sounded pretty darn good to me in both configurations. You can change some of the settings on the LD to accept a few different tube tubes if you really want to get into it, and there is an entire thread related to tube rolling in the LD I+ here on  head-fi. I'll try to find it and either PM it to you or update this post.

EDIT: Here's the LD I+ tube rolling thread....probably enough info in here to make your head spin! lol   http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5,606 of 41,067
Thanks for the info. I actually watched Zombie-X's videos before making my purchase coincidentally, but I didn't see him talking about the 770s much, if at all. I will PM him.

As far as the tube rolling, I've tried a few pairs of different tubes--namely the EF95 Voshkod and Mullard M8100 tubes. The Mullards have a nice warmth that tames the harsh highs of my SRH940's, but the Voshkod's are the best by far. I was wondering if there was anything else that really stood out that you may have tried, as sometimes those guides can be overwhelming.  

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #5,607 of 41,067

Quote:
Here's a quick pic of my current setup:

I love how the HD 800 matches the laptop's colour scheme; that's the REAL reason I wanna keep the HD 800. 
wink_face.gif

Left handed person spotted. Btw, does that trackpad right click and middle click if you were to use MagicPrefs?

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #5,608 of 41,067

Quote:

Left handed person spotted. Btw, does that trackpad right click and middle click if you were to use MagicPrefs?

The pictured trackpad is set up for regular and right click. What is middle click and what is MagicPrefs?

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5,609 of 41,067

Quote:

The pictured trackpad is set up for regular and right click. What is middle click and what is MagicPrefs?

Middle click is where you would click on the scroll wheel of a normal mouse to free scroll or open links in new tabs. MagicPrefs is what I use to customize my Magic Mouse so that I can click with three fingers to Expose', Middle click, and tap the stem of the Apple to show my desktop. It's really quite cool.

I only ask because I had the choice of opting for the trackpad and I thought it would have been interesting, but I decided not to because not being able to do all that stuff would drive me crazy. Of course, my Magic Mouse couldn't do all that either until I found MagicPrefs. I would think it would work with the trackpad as well.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,610 of 41,067

Quote:

Middle click is where you would click on the scroll wheel of a normal mouse to free scroll or open links in new tabs. MagicPrefs is what I use to customize my Magic Mouse so that I can click with three fingers to Expose', Middle click, and tap the stem of the Apple to show my desktop. It's really quite cool.

I only ask because I had the choice of opting for the trackpad and I thought it would have been interesting, but I decided not to because not being able to do all that stuff would drive me crazy. Of course, my Magic Mouse couldn't do all that either until I found MagicPrefs. I would think it would work with the trackpad as well.

Thanks for explaining that. The MagicPrefs website says that MagicPrefs works with the Apple Trackpad, so if you got a trackpad you could probably do all the things you did with your Magic Mouse. I'll keep you posted if I play around with it and will probably do so after I get thought my next batch of music. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back