Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #3,691 of 41,050
I am done buying Camera gear. I have a D90 with
10.5mm f2.8
50mm f1.8
70-210 f4.5.6
SB-900

I figure eventually I will buy a 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, and sell the fisheye. However what I want costs money. Audio comes first for now. Maybe in 5-6 years I will buy the new gear. Along with a D10K, or whatever the new camera then is.
Quote:
^Envious 
mad.gif
 Currently saving up for a new camera lens 

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,692 of 41,050
for me hd 800 and ps1000.

having heard those and owning lcd-2/t1 i can say that the ps1000 where the most enjoyable headphones i've ever listened to. very musical and great bass and dynamics. they would be good for almost any genre, can't think of a place where the ps1000 would fall behind.

i've heard every grado on the main line except the ps500. 

the rs1 with the flats are very fun but may be too colored for your taste. they are smooth and warm while maintaining aggressive mids and punchy midbass. way different from all the other grados. the GS1000 are similar, but huge soundstage and darker sounding with alot of bass. 
the rs1 do have good detail though, but if you really wanted to not lose any resolution, you will have to go up to the ps1000 or get the ps500.

the sr325is are a good option as well, but may be too low-fi for your taste. personally though, the sr325 are hard to beat, you just need an amp with smooth highs cause many find them "bright"

if you just want pure musical enjoyment and love an analog sound with your 60's rock, the RS1 are the ones to get though, hands down. its all about the music with those. they are really good for pop too due to their mid-bass hump. very natural sounding headphones that can be quite euphonic with the right amp.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,694 of 41,050
Thanks. I suppose I am willing to sacrifice some, but it has to be an even trade. I obviously want a second headphone that provides me with a reason to listen to them. 

An example. I owned the HE-6 and LCD-2 at the same time. Both detailed, both fun to listen too. Also, they excelled at different things. Giving each a place, but not making one necessarily inferior. I guess my point is, I don't want to buy a headphone that I find to lose in every category to the LCD-3, or sacrifices too much in an effort to gain something else.

The RS1, and PS1000 may fit that. I am concerned I will find the HD-800 too bright, but the sound stage seems like an exciting factor. I would consider the HE-6 again, I loved them, but I no longer really have anything that can drive them. I do own the SX-950, but I moved it into the family living room. Sound stage isn't my biggest concern, so I am leaning toward the Grado. The RS1 and PS1000 are not likely at my top two. I would throw the PS500 into the mix, but I am guessing there is nothing they would beat the PS100 at. The way you describe the GS1000 makes it sound like the Audeze predecessor. 

Quote:
for me hd 800 and ps1000.

having heard those and owning lcd-2/t1 i can say that the ps1000 where the most enjoyable headphones i've ever listened to. very musical and great bass and dynamics. they would be good for almost any genre, can't think of a place where the ps1000 would fall behind.

i've heard every grado on the main line except the ps500. 

the rs1 with the flats are very fun but may be too colored for your taste. they are smooth and warm while maintaining aggressive mids and punchy midbass. way different from all the other grados. the GS1000 are similar, but huge soundstage and darker sounding with alot of bass. 
the rs1 do have good detail though, but if you really wanted to not lose any resolution, you will have to go up to the ps1000 or get the ps500.

the sr325is are a good option as well, but may be too low-fi for your taste. personally though, the sr325 are hard to beat, you just need an amp with smooth highs cause many find them "bright"

if you just want pure musical enjoyment and love an analog sound with your 60's rock, the RS1 are the ones to get though, hands down. its all about the music with those. they are really good for pop too due to their mid-bass hump. very natural sounding headphones that can be quite euphonic with the right amp.

Edit:

Very nice camera gear you have. I would love the D700. A lot of my shooting seems to be in low light. I would trade my D90 and SB900 for that in a second. I hate the flash. It does its job, but I would rather not use it. 

As for the new X-Pro, I will be honest. I have not read much about it. I saw the announcement but did not read about it. I am trying to keep myself away from new camera gear. I wanted to get the X100 a while back, but this new camera looks like it blows that one away.
^ Lol my current sent up is D700, 14-24, 24 1.4, 50 2.8, 85 1.8, and 70-200 
And I am so tempted to get the fuji x pro when it comes out 

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #3,695 of 41,050

Quote:
Thanks. I suppose I am willing to sacrifice some, but it has to be an even trade. I obviously want a second headphone that provides me with a reason to listen to them. 

An example. I owned the HE-6 and LCD-2 at the same time. Both detailed, both fun to listen too. Also, they excelled at different things. Giving each a place, but not making one necessarily inferior. I guess my point is, I don't want to buy a headphone that I find to lose in every category to the LCD-3, or sacrifices too much in an effort to gain something else.

The RS1, and PS1000 may fit that. I am concerned I will find the HD-800 too bright, but the sound stage seems like an exciting factor. I would consider the HE-6 again, I loved them, but I no longer really have anything that can drive them. I do own the SX-950, but I moved it into the family living room. Sound stage isn't my biggest concern, so I am leaning toward the Grado. The RS1 and PS1000 are not likely at my top two. I would throw the PS500 into the mix, but I am guessing there is nothing they would beat the PS100 at. The way you describe the GS1000 makes it sound like the Audeze predecessor. 

If I may, I'd suggest looking more into the HD800s.  I had the T1s and loved them but I find the HD800s a notch ahead technically.  If detail is a priority of yours, then the HD800 is where it's at.

I was also concerned about excess treble (in addition to weak bass and thin sound) when considering the HD800s but I'm glad I went for it as I don't find any of those characteristics in my pair.  Sure, the treble is prominent but it's still coherent with the rest of the frequencies and not bothersome.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3,696 of 41,050
This is why I will never make a decision. Like I think I mentioned somewhere. I know a guy who owes the PS1000. We are not best friends or anything, but I may be able to convince him to let me borrow them for a few days. He said he knew someone else that used to own/still owns the HD-800. I don't think I can pull off borrowing those. I think listening to at least one pair is a good start. Who knows, maybe I will be blown away, or hate them. That would narrow things down.

Quote:

If I may, I'd suggest looking more into the HD800s.  I had the T1s and loved them but I find the HD800s a notch ahead technically.  If detail is a priority of yours, then the HD800 is where it's at.

I was also concerned about excess treble (in addition to weak bass and thin sound) when considering the HD800s but I'm glad I went for it as I don't find any of those characteristics in my pair.  Sure, the treble is prominent but it's still coherent with the rest of the frequencies and not bothersome.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,697 of 41,050
adding a Fiio e10 to this set up soon, unless someone has any other suggestions for a cheap DAC....

I know that this pales in comparison to a lot of your guy's set up, but it makes me happy. That's a 1TB Iomega mac hard drive you see in a few of the pics. All my stickers are from shows I've attended.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3,698 of 41,050
If it makes you happy, that's all that really matters. Plus it looks nice and cozy.

Quote:
adding a Fiio e10 to this set up soon, unless someone has any other suggestions for a cheap DAC....

I know that this pales in comparison to a lot of your guy's set up, but it makes me happy. That's a 1TB Iomega mac hard drive you see in a few of the pics. All my stickers are from shows I've attended.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3,699 of 41,050

Quote:
I would consider it. They seem like they may be over priced, but they are likely worth around the used price. I have never heard a Grado, and I would very much like to. I almost purchased a custom Magnum V4, but waited too long to decide. The PS500 also seems interesting. My short list is HD800, K1000, Grado (don't know which one). I am also thinking about upgrading to a new STAX amp, but most of the reasonably priced good ones are out of production. The HD-800 I would buy for the soundstage. If it is too bright, I would mod it. The K1000, well it just seems cool. And the Grado would be for my rock music.

The T1 was going to be my first $1000 headphone, but I changed my mind to the HE-6. I want something different from my LCD-3, and I don't use the STAX for music. I don't like the sound. I just keep it for the Realiser. I was thinking that something like the GES might bring out the best in them and subdue my desire for new headphones. But then the GES would kind of hinder me from ever buying Omegas. So many things to consider. 

What is your favorite Grado? I listen to a decent amount of 60's rock, and I hear that the Grado would be a good mix. The thing is I don't want to give up resolution.

How do you like the Realiser? Does it work as advertised?

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,700 of 41,050

Quote:
that would be my next purchase.

What is your current favorite headphone?

How does the D2000s stack up to your other headphones?  I've been wanting to venture out but I don't know which direction to go.  The LCD2 seems like a good choice, but I'm aware of my disdain for uncomfortable headphones.  What do you think?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #3,701 of 41,050
Yes. They work very well. I sold the standard STAX system it came with and bought the SR-507 and SRM-T1 instead. It was a nice combo but I wanted to make sure I had something that would not have problems reproducing bass. I think the 202 has a bit of an issue with that. You can use any headphone, the faster the better. The HE-6 I used to own did well. The STAX however is faster, and more comfortable for long periods. It can't reproduce tactile bass like a real system, and it only tracks your motion 30 degrees in each direction. So it is not perfect, but still deserves the praise in my opinion. I was going to buy some tactile transducers, but I am not sure it is worth the extra cost. I think it would be nice, but I am not sure if I would prefer that or new headphones. I have had the system for probably a year now with no complaints due to lack of rumble. The STAX go very low.

Quote:
How do you like the Realiser? Does it work as advertised?

I feel bad, I seem to be a bit responsible for this thread going off topic. I will try to take a picture of my room tomorrow. The batteries for my camera flash are currently going through a discharge/recharge cycle. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,702 of 41,050
The e17 gives you a lot more options and higher res.

Quote:

I know that this pales in comparison to a lot of your guy's set up, but it makes me happy. That's a 1TB Iomega mac hard drive you see in a few of the pics. All my stickers are from shows I've attend

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,703 of 41,050
I wish the E17 was like $100 or a tad more, although a good value I can't see shelling out $150 for it. I honestly don't think it's going to sell as good as they planned, but I'm probably wrong.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #3,704 of 41,050

Have you given the HM101 any thought? Heard of some build quality issues with FIIO. And the HM101 looks like a good choice overall.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,705 of 41,050
Hmm interesting, it should also be said that I have an amazon gift card for a hundred bucks so I'm trying to find something in that range, that I can buy from amazon. Would I need any extra chords to run the DAC through my LD1+? Since the E10 is both an amp and a dac I just need the DAC portion of it. also, is the E17 released yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back