Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #3,676 of 41,050
The gray curves on the bottom are raw data form different positions and none of them have much deep bass.  The top is averaged and compensated with the independent of direction HRTF.  He tests them for a good seal by watching the 30Hz square waves while positioning them on the dummy head.

I never got anything near that low with my pair.  The level of the bass before it falls off a cliff is fine and you don't always need tons of extension but I had lots of tracks that were nearly missing their drums and bass guitars when played through the SA5000.  It didn't react well when I tried to EQ up the bass below about 80Hz or so where it starts to roll off.  Though open dynamics never get ruler straight to DC like planars can there are plenty of other open dynamics without such a steep roll off.

I really did like the rest of the sound though...

i don't know what to say honestly then. maybe i'm getting just harmonics then? i tested in audacity with tone generator and it actually reached down to 20hz fine for me rumbling. must be harmonics i guess. i can't say for sure. do you still own a SA5000?

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3,677 of 41,050
I think MR is a quite exaggerating. The graph shows a mere -5db on Rch and about -7/8db Lch rollof at 30hz and almost no rolloff at 40hz. Which is a long way from something that's missing all bass guitars and drum sections from a track... My pair defintley went plenty deep and overall very satysfying level of bass body and slam. Though admittedly not on par with true open low-bass heavy-champs like the HD800 and AD2K.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,678 of 41,050
Quote:
i don't know what to say honestly then. maybe i'm getting just harmonics then? i tested in audacity with tone generator and it actually reached down to 20hz fine for me rumbling. must be harmonics i guess. i can't say for sure. do you still own a SA5000?

I don't have a pair anymore so I can't do another round of testing.

Quote:
I think MR is a quite exaggerating. The graph shows a mere -5db on Rch and about -7/8db Lch rollof at 30hz and almost no rolloff at 40hz. Which is a long way from something that's missing all bass guitars and drum sections from a track... My pair defintley went plenty deep and overall very satysfying level of bass body and slam. Though admittedly not on par with true open low-bass heavy-champs like the HD800 and AD2K.

Even if you look at the grey trace with the best extension its all downhill after 55Hz.  I don't recall getting that much extension out of them myself.  Maybe they fit you heads better, but that's still a far cry from being neutral in the low bass.  The HD800s aren't even neutral in the low bass though are a lot closer than the SA5000s.

Open headphones that are neutral through the low bass would include the LCD-2, HE-6, and SR-507.  I'm not aware of any open dynamic that's flat to below 30Hz like those are.

This is probably getting to OT though...

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3,681 of 41,050
beerchug.gif
 My college setup: LCD2, DT880, Bifrost, Lyr (with a couple set of tubes 
tongue.gif
), Fiio E10, Triplefi

Quote:

Don't worry, there are always college students with more.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,683 of 41,050
I am also in college as well. Dubstep Girl does have more than me however. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3,685 of 41,050
Maybe so, but you still have an exceptional collection. I often wish I had more options to play around with. I am running low on funds, but I think I may be able to make one new purchase this semester. I just don't know what I should buy yet.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3,687 of 41,050

Quote:
Maybe so, but you still have an exceptional collection. I often wish I had more options to play around with. I am running low on funds, but I think I may be able to make one new purchase this semester. I just don't know what I should buy yet.

PS1000 
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3,690 of 41,050
I would consider it. They seem like they may be over priced, but they are likely worth around the used price. I have never heard a Grado, and I would very much like to. I almost purchased a custom Magnum V4, but waited too long to decide. The PS500 also seems interesting. My short list is HD800, K1000, Grado (don't know which one). I am also thinking about upgrading to a new STAX amp, but most of the reasonably priced good ones are out of production. The HD-800 I would buy for the soundstage. If it is too bright, I would mod it. The K1000, well it just seems cool. And the Grado would be for my rock music.

The T1 was going to be my first $1000 headphone, but I changed my mind to the HE-6. I want something different from my LCD-3, and I don't use the STAX for music. I don't like the sound. I just keep it for the Realiser. I was thinking that something like the GES might bring out the best in them and subdue my desire for new headphones. But then the GES would kind of hinder me from ever buying Omegas. So many things to consider. 

What is your favorite Grado? I listen to a decent amount of 60's rock, and I hear that the Grado would be a good mix. The thing is I don't want to give up resolution.
Quote:

PS1000 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back