Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 2, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2,298 of 41,300
Hrm... I wonder how they compare to my Violectric V800 DAC.... I know my Audio-GD ROC sound great through it's balanced outputs. 

Sorry...

Can't answer that but I'm sure they're both fantastic. Personally, I think once you get to the nfb-2 DAC everything above that is for careful analytical listening, not necessarily musical enjoyment. There is a difference between the DAC in my nfb-10 and the nfb-1 but that's not a fair comparison and you've have to A/B them for a while to know the difference. I admit, a few months ago when I was trying to find the perfect no-need-to-upgrade-again DAC I never even knew about the V800 but it looks like something that would have made it to the final round of selections. Though I like the obvious over engineering and crazy power supplies of Audio-GD - funny thing is is that my -1 isn't even close to their higher end (I don't believe going any higher would have done anything for me). And I'm sure you're enjoying your ROC - I do.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2,299 of 41,300
I would love the Chesky album everyone talks about, too. Tommy is my #1 as The Who is my favorite 'band' ever. Just can't get enough. Thinking about Metallica's Black Album...and Yes...and Ray Charles...Alison Krauss...Miles Davis...

lol

If you grab Tommy consider getting the Smithereens cover of it there as well. Great tribute, they play the whole album, and it's well recorded. I like to listen to the Who version and then compare how the Smithereens did it.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,300 of 41,300
I'll look into it but I think I'll only have enough for 3 albums for awhile. 

Going with Moving Pictures (24/96), Tommy (24/96), and Explorations in Space and Time (24/176)

Quote:
Quote:
I would love the Chesky album everyone talks about, too. Tommy is my #1 as The Who is my favorite 'band' ever. Just can't get enough. Thinking about Metallica's Black Album...and Yes...and Ray Charles...Alison Krauss...Miles Davis...

lol

If you grab Tommy consider getting the Smithereens cover of it there as well. Great tribute, they play the whole album, and it's well recorded. I like to listen to the Who version and then compare how the Smithereens did it.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,301 of 41,300
I can see the appeal of getting hi-rez Chesky recordings (recorded in hi-rez), but I don't get buying hi-rez versions of old albums.

How can an album originally recorded on analog equipment be improved beyond the original fidelity? 16/44 has more than enough resolution to reproduce ALL of the original analog information without loss. If you get an "old" album in 24/96 or above, aren't you just paying for and throwing away a bunch of unused 1's and 0's?

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,302 of 41,300

Quote:
I can see the appeal of getting hi-rez Chesky recordings (recorded in hi-rez), but I don't get buying hi-rez versions of old albums.
How can an album originally recorded on analog equipment be improved beyond the original fidelity? 16/44 has more than enough resolution to reproduce ALL of the original analog information without loss. If you get an "old" album in 24/96 or above, aren't you just paying for and throwing away a bunch of unused 1's and 0's?

+1 I'm curious as well

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2,303 of 41,300

This question would require an entirely new thread. If people discuss this here, this thread would be rapidly taken over.

Quote:

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #2,306 of 41,300

Quote:
This question would require an entirely new thread. If people discuss this here, this thread would be rapidly taken over.

Agreed, this isn't the place for it but it is a legitimate question that is worthy of debate.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2,307 of 41,300
Autumn. Rain. Darkness. Current head-fi setup brighten things up without being bright. :)

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,309 of 41,300

Quote:
Those headphone stands are gorgeous and I really, really want one... 

They are beautiful, but I think for the price they are definetly not worth it, although I will probably end up buying one anyway. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back