Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,459 of 41,111

Quote:
Why 2 PS3's?

Multiplayer 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,465 of 41,111
I never thought the HD 280 looked very desirable, but seeing it in the context of a modest home production studio changes my mind. This right here is why I dig black headphones like SRH 840 so much.

How do you like the MPK? I had already made all my acquisitions by the time Akai released the '49, so I very much missed the boat on that.

Also, I'm curious as to what extent you or anyone else here uses their studio I/O interface as their main headphone rig. I'm supposed to be shopping for an amp for my >600Ohm pieces, but in the meantime I've got a perfectly good DAC that drives my 2kOhm to way loud by four ticks past silence, so really I've been lagging on even researching new gear.

I should take pictures of my stuff.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #1,466 of 41,111
I use a Saffire 6 too as both my DAC and headphone amp at the moment when I'm too lazy to turn a desktop amp on. As a DAC, it's essentially transparent, and it's much more featured than a hi-fi DAC in that I like the line/mic/instrument inputs and phantom power, etc. etc. As a headphone amp, it's a bit underpowered (fine for my Grados and K702s, but maybe not for anything up in the 300 Ohm range or low sensitivity cans), and the output impedance is a bit on the high side for low impedance headphones (being quoted at <7ohms). Obviously those two things don't go great together - high output impedance and low power output. Most of the time though, it's 'good enough'.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #1,467 of 41,111

Quote:
I never thought the HD 280 looked very desirable, but seeing it in the context of a modest home production studio changes my mind. This right here is why I dig black headphones like SRH 840 so much.

How do you like the MPK? I had already made all my acquisitions by the time Akai released the '49, so I very much missed the boat on that.

Also, I'm curious as to what extent you or anyone else here uses their studio I/O interface as their main headphone rig. I'm supposed to be shopping for an amp for my >600Ohm pieces, but in the meantime I've got a perfectly good DAC that drives my 2kOhm to way loud by four ticks past silence, so really I've been lagging on even researching new gear.

I should take pictures of my stuff.

yeah the hd280's are pretty nice. the bass is not as prominent as i would like it but they are very predictable and good for producing. im actually selling them on ebay but i may cancel the auction and keep them as a second pair of headphones to my ultrasones.

the mpk is really nice. i love all of its features and it is solid as ****. the pads are a little stiff and not as responsive as i would like out of the box. but i did the electrical tape mod which you can look up on google/youtube and now they are nice and sensitive. the mod is very simple and takes about a half hour. or you could just buy the fat pads from mpcstuff.com.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,468 of 41,111
My Axiom 49 has done me very well as far as my (minor) production work has gone. Paired with Omnisphere (VST)...I've enjoyed making some completely synth based Ambient stuff. Haven't had ANY time to DJ (poor DJM 800, just sitting there getting no love ;~:wink:, or produce since I got my new job though...

I need to get a little laptop controller like that and start recording a few sets again. I need to just sell my huge rig...It won't be space friendly for my new place...and it'd pay like...6 months worth of rent.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,470 of 41,111

Quote:
My Axiom 49 has done me very well as far as my (minor) production work has gone. Paired with Omnisphere (VST)...I've enjoyed making some completely synth based Ambient stuff. Haven't had ANY time to DJ (poor DJM 800, just sitting there getting no love ;~:wink:, or produce since I got my new job though...

I need to get a little laptop controller like that and start recording a few sets again. I need to just sell my huge rig...It won't be space friendly for my new place...and it'd pay like...6 months worth of rent.

yeah its a vci-100. they're solid as **** and they can be modded with new firmware update that adds resolution to the jogs and a whole bunch of other features. they also got custom overlays to go with better mapping. and they have the arcade mod which replaces the 4 buttons below the jog wheels with arcade buttons for beat juggling. all this can be found at djtechtools.com

my lil vci-100 set me back 400 bones though.

btw i had an axiom 25 but sold it to get the mpk. i like the mpk much better. but the axioms are pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back