Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #242 of 41,112

This is the rig in my basement. It consists of a Sony Vaio running Foobar for my FLAC collection and Napster for sampling potential new music before purchase. From there the signal goes via USB (WASAPI) to the E7/E9 combo and then to either the MS1i, HD595 or DT770/80. Missing from this picture are a set of DT880/600 and AKG K240s along with a LD MKIV. Those are currently living in the den upstairs.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #243 of 41,112
Just been to the headphone fans annual gathering in Hong Kong, took my home rig to there and haven't got time to unpack them. So here are some pics I took 2 days ago at the meeting.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #244 of 41,112

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #245 of 41,112
Family room rig...usually sourced by my iPad.  Gilmore Lite driving HD-590's

Office Setup, Sourced by iMac HPO.  No DAC yet..soon. Little Dot MKIII acting as Headphone Amp for HD-650's and as Preamp for Hafler power amp driving Monitor Audio mini-monitors.

A bit of Little Dot Lurve...

Portable Rig.  iPhone to JDS Labs cMoy amp driving Grado SR-125i's

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #246 of 41,112
I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have come here.

Now I'm so depressed....

You all have some amazing rigs !!!
And some really nice shots of them too. Way to go !
Maybe when I grow up....

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #248 of 41,112
I had a great idea when I was trying to be frugal a while back to buy cheap headphones.  Unfortunately I was more of an audiophile (such a nice sounding word for a costly addiction) than I wanted to admit.  On a recent shopping excursion I slipped on a pair of Bose AE2 (stick with me, I know they aren't that great).  Though the sound made me long for something better than what I had bought previously, the angel on my shoulder whispered that there must be something better for the money out there.  Could've been the devil on the other shoulder that did the whispering, in retrospect.  Quick research when I got home led me to the Grado SR60i, and one of the local dealers was super close to me. 

Oh, if I could take back that car ride.

I got to the store just hoping to check these Grado headphones out.  Crap-balls.  Mini vacuum tube amps?  DACs?  I embarrassed myself by asking extremely ignorant questions, but I was so excited by this.  I had been putting off being a true audiophile until I had a house instead of an apartment.  But vacuum tube amps for headphones?!  Well, I was snickered at when I asked about where to look for info on the web, forums or the like.  I now know why, they knew the pain/joy I was about to encounter.  I left the store without an amp.  While listening to my SR80i headphones, I realized I did need a DAC and/or amp.  I raced back and this is where I am at now as a total initiate.  I figured it would give me a solid foundation while learning about this new hobby. 

Shnikees.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #249 of 41,112
Mikerobe,

What amp/dac is that?

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #250 of 41,112
It's the JVD-5M model from a company called Joy Virtue, or so the box leads me to believe.

The store near me had great listening stations and the ability to listen to just about anything amp or dac they had.  I just knew I needed both and figured my ears weren't attuned well enough to really pinpoint differences (or even know which of those differences I would end up preferring).  So I asked for the best bang-for-buck kind of situation, and this is where I ended up.  That store is so close I plan on returning often as I build up my "palate" as it were.  When I know more and have listened to more, then I'll drop some dough.  I'm in it... deep!

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #251 of 41,112
Great story and nicely written as well.  In what city do you live?  Must be great.  Enjoy!!!

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #253 of 41,112
it's an HP G60. dual core intel pentium 2.2ghz, 3gb of ram, nothing special. i have it dual booting windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10, and have been using ubuntu 100% of the time since i put it on. linux > windows. linux also is very lightweight so it doesn't use much ram and doesn't really need all that fast of a processor. it works great for what i need it for.

no optical out. i use USB to my Amp/DAC.

Quote:
What laptop? What specs? Does it have spdif?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back