Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #38,837 of 41,463
All that I have left now of vintage gear is this monster Kenwood KA-3300D. 150 rms watts per channel into 8 ohms.

It was fun listening to HD800 with this Sansui au-alpha 907mr. I miss this amp. :)
The only "vintage" I can claim today is my Adcom GFA 555 II (triple nickel) power amp. 200 glorious watt per channel into 8 ohms but can easily push more. I currently have mine boxed (original box undamaged) away so no pics, but this is the one I have - ADCOM GFA-555 II (1990-1995). I even still have the Adcom brochure on the amp :slight_smile:

Anyway, I had it pared with a Rotel RSP-1066 DSP/Pre-Amp after my Yamaha CX-1000 Pre-Amp died :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #38,839 of 41,463
Kinda sad to read your final sentence. I've had ~1,500 LPs stored in boxes here since '91. No idea what to do with them now...
Spin 'em if you got 'em.

Otherwise, if Goldmine is still in business you might make enough to retire.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #38,840 of 41,463
6442A126-7E2D-4BD1-954C-D579E7A67C60.jpeg

The standby ready for duty …

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #38,841 of 41,463
Brings a tear to my eye. Man, Pioneer made some great looking receivers and amps. As did Sansui :slight_smile:

I never owned any high end their high-end stuff as it was too rich for my blood even back then, but I had plenty of friends who did. A lot of them though got their stuff when they were stationed in Japan, mainly Okinawa. Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to visit Japan or get stationed there. Would have love it. Would have gone broke :slight_smile:
I came back from Okinawa in 1975 with some fine stuff. I had a Pioneer SX-939 amp, Dual 701 turntable, Teac A 2340 reel to reel and Bose 901 Series II speakers. Not bad for a twenty-year-old guy. All of that stuff has moved on but that gave me a good start into the audio hobby.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #38,843 of 41,463
IMG_2108.jpg
IMG_2109.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2100.jpg

My Endgame (for now).

DAC: Schiit Bifrost 2/64

Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon USB C to USB B & 0.5m Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Starquad XLR cables from WORLDS BEST CABLES (I have no idea whether these actually do anything, I merely bought them becuase why not).

Amp: Schiit Jotunheim 2

Headphones: ATH-R70x (Audiophile Ninja XLR cable) (these have been relegated to gaming duty as these are incredibly light and breathable which is ideal for long sessions). & OG Focal Clear

I know bugger all about audio. All I know is that this gear makes my music sound better which is all that matters me. I'm afraid I can't desribe the sound of any of equipment with audiophile terminology other than the fact that to me it sounds stupendously good.

Only minor gripe I have is that the Bifrost's tansformer makes a very low hum when you put your ear close to the front left of the chassis, however, it's not audible through the headphones. It's purely a physical hum and from where I'm sitting I can't hear it so I don't care.

Sorry about the dust and Schiit pictures.

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #38,844 of 41,463
The only "vintage" I can claim today is my Adcom GFA 555 II (triple nickel) power amp. 200 glorious watt per channel into 8 ohms but can easily push more. I currently have mine boxed (original box undamaged) away so no pics, but this is the one I have - ADCOM GFA-555 II (1990-1995). I even still have the Adcom brochure on the amp :slight_smile:

Anyway, I had it pared with a Rotel RSP-1066 DSP/Pre-Amp after my Yamaha CX-1000 Pre-Amp died :slight_frown:
I bought the 1st edition Adcom GFA-555 new ~1987. The speakers I used at that time, Vandersteen 4s, were unique in that they allowed a separate amp to be used for the built-in subwoofers of those towers (which operated <80 Hz) and another amp for the drivers >80Hz. I used the Adcom to driver the subs and a big, heavy 100 wpc tube amp to drive everything else. It sounded so good.

Then I sent the Adcom to a wizard tech in NC to be modified. At that time many high end components were being modified by this or that company, often with amazing results. It voided the warranty, but often improved the sound. When I got that Adcom back, I swear to god I could easily hear an additional 10 Hz extension in the bass from the Vandy's. With certain genres of much, all the little decorative items my wife had on shelves in the LR would move around, sometimes even fall to the floor.

Loved that Adcom. Like a moron, I sold it a couple years later, and have regretted it ever since.

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #38,845 of 41,463
I bought the 1st edition Adcom GFA-555 new ~1987. The speakers I used at that time, Vandersteen 4s, were unique in that they allowed a separate amp to be used for the built-in subwoofers of those towers (which operated <80 Hz) and another amp for the drivers >80Hz. I used the Adcom to driver the subs and a big, heavy 100 wpc tube amp to drive everything else. It sounded so good.

Then I sent the Adcom to a wizard tech in NC to be modified. At that time many high end components were being modified by this or that company, often with amazing results. It voided the warranty, but often improved the sound. When I got that Adcom back, I swear to god I could easily hear an additional 10 Hz extension in the bass from the Vandy's. With certain genres of much, all the little decorative items my wife had on shelves in the LR would move around, sometimes even fall to the floor.

Loved that Adcom. Like a moron, I sold it a couple years later, and have regretted it ever since.
Quite the system … Vandersteens (4s especially) were so great on dynamics and (phase / time) coherency … 😯😄

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #38,846 of 41,463

The golden age of 70s and 80s audio. :) Us baby boomers live through that. :) Don't forget the tube amps and vinyl.

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #38,847 of 41,463

Though I'm currently not using my Adcom I'm still keeping it. Somewhere down the line it will find its way back into a system for it. BTW, be aware (if you're not), Adcom is still making that amp with a special edition - GFA-555se. They also have as "MS" - GFA-555ms. I've not looked into the differences, but the links are there for those interested.

As for modifications. I don't mod any of my equipment. I simply run it out the box as is. That's me.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #38,848 of 41,463

Apt Holman - Amber Series 70 - DQ 10s for me in 1980ish. Small room so I “got away with” the Amber driving the very low sensitivity DQs.

Liked and could sink into Vandersteens every time I heard a pair.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #38,850 of 41,463
38EB3584-87FB-4563-BF22-DCA341EE5982.jpeg

ZMF Verite Closed (Ziricote) + Norne Audio Vykari + Violectric HPA V200: 😘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back