Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #30,481 of 41,134
6EEE8D6D-D1E7-4FD6-B9EC-FE03035129E2.jpeg

It has been a little while since I have had a major upgrade to my set up, but this I feel qualifies. Aric Kimball from Aric audio did a complete rebuild of the 300b headphone amplifier he built for me a couple years ago. The first iteration was built to somewhat of a budget, this time around I asked him what upgrades he would do to make the ultimate 300b headphone amp. We went from a single chassis to a dual walnut chassis. The power supply was changed to a toroidal transformer, all capacitors are now Milflex copper foil paper in oil. The 6sn7 driver circuit was resigned for lower noise along with a number of other changes. Just got it out of the boxes and in the first few hours of listening the results are spectacular.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #30,482 of 41,134
6EEE8D6D-D1E7-4FD6-B9EC-FE03035129E2.jpeg

It has been a little while since I have had a major upgrade to my set up, but this I feel qualifies. Aric Kimball from Aric audio did a complete rebuild of the 300b headphone amplifier he built for me a couple years ago. The first iteration was built to somewhat of a budget, this time around I asked him what upgrades he would do to make the ultimate 300b headphone amp. We went from a single chassis to a dual walnut chassis. The power supply was changed to a toroidal transformer, all capacitors are now Milflex copper foil paper in oil. The 6sn7 driver circuit was resigned for lower noise along with a number of other changes. Just got it out of the boxes and in the first few hours of listening the results are spectacular.
Very nice

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #30,483 of 41,134
This don't make sense. It's almost 2022. How did this setup make the day after Christmas seem like ... well it question my sanity. The headphone stand is free. My friend gave it to me because he's afraid of scratching his headphones on the solid steel stand. The He6se v2 was bought 2nd hand for aussie $850 but is kept better than new. The Kenwood ka-3300d was bought over more than a year ago and was almost forgotten because I was so wrapped in tube amps. The NAD M51 was purchase 6 months ago for aussie $730. :ksc75smile:

Yet this setup left me totally dumbfounded. How did it sound so right? Listening to War On Drugs 'I don't live here anymore' now on Roon / Tidal. Should hear the drums kicks and the Niagara Falls soundscape. It's unbelievably good.

Oh have to acknowledge the Forza Noir Hybrid cable.

IMG_3753.jpg

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #30,484 of 41,134
This don't make sense. It's almost 2022. How did this setup make the day after Christmas seem like ... well it question my sanity. The headphone stand is free. My friend gave it to me because he's afraid of scratching his headphones on the solid steel stand. The He6se v2 was bought 2nd hand for aussie $850 but is kept better than new. The Kenwood ka-3300d was bought over more than a year ago and was almost forgotten because I was so wrapped in tube amps. The NAD M51 was purchase 6 months ago for aussie $730. :ksc75smile:

Yet this setup left me totally dumbfounded. How did it sound so right? Listening to War On Drugs 'I don't live here anymore' now on Roon / Tidal. Should hear the drums kicks and the Niagara Falls soundscape. It's unbelievably good.

Oh have to acknowledge the Forza Noir Hybrid cable.

IMG_3753.jpg
Without the Forza Noir, silence would reign…

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #30,485 of 41,134
77747D72-8AB2-408E-8B86-FC2609EE65CA.jpeg

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #30,486 of 41,134
A little over a year ago I was listening with my friend @Yetiman72 TH900. Of the 8 headphones he brought over, the TH900 is one of them that got my attention. The first time I heard the TH900 was at the HiFi Show in the A2A booth. I thought to myself .... 'where's the treble?'. :beyersmile:

However when I heard Yeti's TH900, it was like a totally different headphone. It's linear, tight and has treble ! I need to listen to that headphone again. It can't be so different sounding on 2 separate occasions.

As much as I was looking at the TH900, what is that Dangerous Music Source? How dangerous is it?

Ha, now there's a sentence I never thought I'd read. Many people take issue with the brightness of the TH900. It's probably the most common criticism I see about it, so I can't imagine what was going on with the one you first heard! It was one of the main things that made me hesitant with the blind buy, but in the end, the allure of its legendary bass won out. Don't regret it one iota. Endgame has been achieved. Ever been tempted to add one to your collection? I'd be interested in having a listen on the LCD4 or 5, but I don't really have the environment conducive for an open back.

Those nuggets you have installed in the TH 900 look like they came stock with the Fostex... I love those speakers and the enormous TV. Have a good vacation there :beerchug:

Thanks, bud! Crashing with my pa to keep him company over the holidays. We spend many hours swapping music finds from the year with each other whilst sippin' on JD honeys with the listening done through his Sonus Fabers. It's been a slow process, but finally managed to introduce some techno into his repertoire heh. Hope all's been well in the Terriero household, and you've got your metal playlist lined up to ring in the new year :wink:

Love that cable! What kind of TV/size is that?

It's a 65" LG OLED. It's maybe 3-4 years old now, but still makes my TV feel positively pedestrian each time I return home after the pure blacks and infinite contrast ratios of the OLED screen!

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #30,487 of 41,134
Ha, now there's a sentence I never thought I'd read. Many people take issue with the brightness of the TH900. It's probably the most common criticism I see about it, so I can't imagine what was going on with the one you first heard!

The year was 2018 and it was the Sydney HiFi show at the Addicted To Audio booth. That year I got to listen to 3 headphones for the first time. The TH900, Grado gs2000e and Susvara. Not sure what happen there but all I heard was the TH900 bass. The Grado was new and interesting. Lite is the word that comes to mind. Susvara with Wa33 was an eye and ear opener.

Because I spend too much time with these 3 headphones, I miss the long queue for the Sennheiser HE1. What a shame. I'm still waiting to hear the HE1. :ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #30,490 of 41,134
It's a 65" LG OLED. It's maybe 3-4 years old now, but still makes my TV feel positively pedestrian each time I return home after the pure blacks and infinite contrast ratios of the OLED screen!
You have a good eye. Not everyone appreciates the really special look of a big OLED like that.

I have an LG C8 77" OLED purchased in late 2018. I've been a video aficionado my whole adult life: had some excellent CRTs back in the day, and still have 2 reference-level plasmas that look quite wonderful. Regardless, this big OLED blows away everything I've ever seen previously.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #30,491 of 41,134
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #30,492 of 41,134
5998 and 1578.jpg

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #30,493 of 41,134
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #30,494 of 41,134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back