Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #28,711 of 41,123
Love the vintage Sansuis. I'm currently a pristine AU-5500 in my living room. I have an AU-7700 running in my basement studio. The left channel drops out and I can't find anyone to service it, so I'm running the pre-amp section to an old Yamaha DSP A1000 (on which the Pre section doesn't work!). An odd cobbling of partially working units that when combined, renders an incredible sound. go figure!!!!
Have the same problem. You need an old hifi repair man, or you open it an spray some contact spray in the balanced potentiometer

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #28,712 of 41,123
What do you mean with card box? Dac? Cambridge audio azur. 2x WM8740
It was a joke. In the picture, you had all of your gear on a brown cardboard box (used for shipping things). So I thought I would be clever and point out that some people are trying to reduce vibrations by buying expensive stands/racks, yet you solved the same problem by a simple cardboard box :)

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #28,713 of 41,123
It was a joke. In the picture, you had all of your gear on a brown cardboard box (used for shipping things). So I thought I would be clever and point out that some people are trying to reduce vibrations by buying expensive stands/racks, yet you solved the same problem by a simple cardboard box :)
Carton of the 5inch JBL 4312Mk2

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #28,714 of 41,123
Have the same problem. You need an old hifi repair man, or you open it an spray some contact spray in the balanced potentiometer
It's more than that. When I engage the amp section, it works fine for a few minutes. then the left channel just goes away. I brought it to a guy who specialized in restos, but he said he had a two year waiting list. He cleaned and tweaked it for me, but that's as far as it went. I'm actually very happy with the setup as it is now. From source to speakers, the chain just works!!!!!

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #28,715 of 41,123
InvisibleInk's Bedside Rig.jpg

Pictured is my humble bedside rig, the centerpiece being Schiit Loki Mini sitting atop a Douk Audio passive RCA splitter. The playback source is a ZiShan DSDs digital audio player connected to the Loki via the ZiShan’s dedicated line out 3.5mm port.

The splitter has one input and four outputs. All outputs can be used simultaneously. That way, if I want to go crazy, I can have four amplifiers and headphones connected at the same time. Shown connected are the Schiit Magni 3 (solid state) and Vali 2 (tube). For those interested, the Vali 2 is sporting a sweet sounding Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 / 6FQ7 preamp tube.

Parked nearby are my Fostex T60rp and Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. These sound great with, and are driven well by, the Schiit amps.
I can use any DAP as a DAC that supports line out with this setup, so why the primitive ZiShan DSDs? It has the AKM AK4497 DAC, which somehow sounds noticeably better when paired with these amps and phones.

Sometimes I bring my Shanlings over. The M5s has an AK4493, which is also great. The Q1 has a Sabre DAC. The problem with these DAPs isn’t so much sound quality, as it is the lack of a dedicated line out physical port. You have to choose line out in software, and if you forget to deselect line out when you disconnect, and then turn the DAP back on and start playing music, you will find the volume set to maximum and panic trying to turn it down, or remove your head set. Damage to equipment is possible. Yikes!

So that’s it for my show and tell of my bedside rig. Cheers! :beerchug:

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #28,717 of 41,123
The new headphone stand at the gaming station. You could do it with the Xbox series x too I assume.20210601_114743.jpg
This headphone stand is unreleased, can't be bought anywhere

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #28,719 of 41,123

I think I'm going to be needing another rack soon.
Fun to see where the priorities are ... probably 50k$ worth of audio equipment next to a pretty average looking computer screen and a 19.99$ IKEA lamp :) :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #28,720 of 41,123
Fun to see where the priorities are ... probably 50k$ worth of audio equipment next to pretty average looking computer screen and a 19.99$ IKEA lamp :) :)
Priorities in order!

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #28,722 of 41,123
And the average burglar would have no idea!
Yeah weird Big Lamp with 9 lightbulbs in the middle of the room. Also crazy heavy

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #28,723 of 41,123
Fun to see where the priorities are ... probably 50k$ worth of audio equipment next to pretty average looking computer screen and a 19.99$ IKEA lamp :) :)

haha you got it right on the ikea lamp! the screen is not too shabby though.. went for quality over looks for this one!

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #28,725 of 41,123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back