Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 17, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #18,241 of 41,129
  I had the lucky strike of my life at a garage sale a few years ago - I dabble in photography, and while strolling around Mobile, AL on a day off from work, I happened to walk past a garage sale and spotted what looked like a Nikon F2 body on a table; turned out to be the titanium version - and it looked brand, spanking new. (Think rocking horse droppings and hen's teeth if you're not into Nikons).

Turned out the seller was a recently minted widow selling off her late husband's kit; upon hearing she was considering taking $50 for it, I told her she could easily get a couple of grand -probably more- for it on that big auction site.

She shrugged and said that she knew - her husband had left her a list with estimated values of all the pieces of kit. Turned out I had been the first who had told her what the real value was rather than trying to rip her off. "If you want it, it is yours for $50 - oh, and I'll throw in those lenses in the bag over there, too".

A couple of worn, but great lenses - a 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.5. I (almost) crap myself. I could've kissed her feet right there.

Six years later, I still send her Christmas cards.

Nice Story
wink.gif

Thanks!  It's my ultimate audio accessory 
wink_face.gif

Talisker matches well with the Audeze.  Maybe for the HD800 an Ardbeg would me my choice
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #18,242 of 41,129
Talisker matches well with the Audeze.  Maybe for the HD800 an Ardbeg would me my choice
beerchug.gif

-You really can't go wrong with anything from around that neck of the woods - most of my single malts are Islays, I really like the in-your-face presence of lots and lots of peat and smoke. The Talisker is also one of my favourites, though - much for the same reasons I like Islays. :)

Picked up a 57 North last time I was in Scotland. With a drop of water in it, it really opens up and is terrific company for any listening session.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #18,243 of 41,129
I think the HD800's need something more delicate, more intricate.  Something that has a lot of layers; a very complex whiskey that takes a lot of time to discover.  A lot of people pass over the HD800's because they are too bright, so a Scotch that many might feel is initially dull or bland.  So a Glen of some sort 
biggrin.gif

But not your average Glen...

I've had several bottles of this stuff over the years and, a bit like the 800's, each one was a bit (actually sometime drastically) different.  It's just one of the those things.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #18,244 of 41,129
While we're on HD800 and wiskeys.. here's my favorite..

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #18,246 of 41,129
Today got myself TEAC VRDS-10SE cd-player as an alternative digital source (main is MacMini (with line PSU) via USB) for my dCS Debussy DAC... IMO it looks quite nice in my rig and it's sound better than I expected, it will be interesting how it will sounds when I (not exactly I, I'm going to give this player to master on weekends) change stock not reblaceble power cord on AC inlet (and connect good power cord to it), and also change my lame cheap CANARE coaxial cable on something like Shunyata Cobra ZTron coaxial cable...
So here are a few photos of my current rig:

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #18,247 of 41,129
  SR-009 + Ardbeg Corryvreckan 
beerchug.gif

Ali

Nice.  Not familiar with Ardbeg.

The title of this thread begins with "Show us" and it would good if you would.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #18,249 of 41,129
I've enjoyed the Balvenie 15 year with my music listening. So far it's been my favorite.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #18,250 of 41,129
  No more Ardbeg 
redface.gif

Still SR-009

Ali

Thanks for the pic.  That's a superior can as you know.

Whatever the Ardbeg was, good riddance, ehh?

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #18,252 of 41,129
Jun 18, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #18,254 of 41,129
A little late to the party but here is my cat/stax pic

That's awesome... that cat's just sayin': you can't get to me before I start chewing, can you, stupid human?
L3000.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #18,255 of 41,129

Thanks!  It's my ultimate audio accessory 
wink_face.gif

That looks tasty - both the Scotch and the 'phones.  Tonight, I'm enjoying the new Lana Del Rey (Ultraviolence 44.1/24 HDTracks) and a large glass of Johnnie Walker Double Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back