Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #18,001 of 41,062
sunday morning listening session

May 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #18,002 of 41,062
I like how you have your tubes set-up for easy access.....nice

May 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #18,003 of 41,062
it was a little box that the wife's dad kept some medals in and stuff, it was just sitting in a closet, and i said "thats a killer tube box ! " lol

May 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #18,006 of 41,062
  I'm a 14 year old budding audiophile. All I've got now is a great pair of HD518s and an iPod Classic. How do you guys get started with this art of audiophilism?

That's a fairly good start; I had an HD518 when I was first getting into the hobby. Lots of reading will help you understand what you like in a pair of headphones and what you need to build a particular setup, but nothing replaces your own ears as a judge. Most people find that they appreciate differences in audio quality more if they move up the ladder slowly over time instead of just plunging right in for a TOTL rig, and most of us slowly upgrade over time. There's no one answer to the question of how to "get started" in the hobby; just keep reading and navigate your way through as you save money for the gear you want. And remember, more expensive isn't necessarily better.

May 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #18,007 of 41,062
  I'm a 14 year old budding audiophile. All I've got now is a great pair of HD518s and an iPod Classic. How do you guys get started with this art of audiophilism?

Best advice I can give is it's all about the music. I've always been a headphones guy--all the way back to the late 1980s and early 1990s with my tape Walkman and it's cheap included headphones.  I didn't know what good gear was and all I knew was what the music was.  Then, I moved to iPods, complete with their cheap ear buds.  Again, it was all about the music.

However, 5 years ago, I bought my first tube amp and studio headphones.  At that point, the music certainly was better, but it was a huge Pandora's box for me.  It started to become more about the gear than the music.

While the gear certainly is an important part of the hobby, never lose sight of the music.  I have to remind myself of this from time to time.

May 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #18,008 of 41,062
Thanks for the great advice guys
rolleyes.gif
 Personally, I've always loved music and have been playing the piano since 3, thus my preferences towards classical music, my mum also introduced me to old school rock and pop, which got me really interested. At first, I started off with Apple earbuds, and cam across this forum while looking for reviews about beats, in the end, I got my first pair of over ear headphones, the HD419's which eventually broke, resulting me in getting my current pair of HD518's which rock.

May 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #18,009 of 41,062
  How do you guys get started with this art of audiophilism?

I started out last year when I noticed I had some extra cash lying around and I was curious how good a 200€ headphone would sound. I bought Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears and Nuforce Icon uDAC-2. I wasn't really happy with the Momentums and bought HD 598's. That was a real eye-opener. Few months later I sold the Momentum On-Ears to my sister and bought the big Momentums. It was a big leap in sound quality and I was very happy with them. Then I bought into hype machine and got Schiit Modi/Vali stack. They sounded very nice compared to the uDAC, but I started feeling that they are "too good" for the 598's, so a couple of months later I got the HD 650's. Man do they sound good! Recently I upgraded Modi to HRT MS II+, and the Vali started to really sing.
All this within a year. I have no regrets. 
evil_smiley.gif

I don't really consider myself an audiophile though, I just enjoy the music.

May 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #18,010 of 41,062

Go to a headphone meet and hear stuff for yourself.  Only way.

May 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #18,011 of 41,062

Don't do it. You'll end up like me, with a page-long post about your setup. It's a slippery slope. Jkjk. I started in an odd place, though. I was super broke, so I started by ruining the Grado threads, haha. I don't know that I'd recommend that for everyone. I'd echo the sentiments of others and say never lose sight of the music.

I started and ended with music, and an odd misstep into the HD800 was what reminded me that the music matters most. I'm a musician and a musicophile at heart, so whatever sounds best to me, with my music, is what I'll pursue. I gave up the last bit of resolution that headphone audio had to offer for a bit more fun.

Now, there are many who love the HD800 and other headphones I don't love. I will handily agree with them, though, if it's all for the love of music. Don't get caught up in THD, dynamic range, 30/300 Hz square waves, unless it informs you as to how you'll get closer to the music.

Look at everything through the filter of musical love and you'll find the hobby opening up to you very quickly.

Kojaku

May 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #18,012 of 41,062
Had a vision of doing a nice little headphone station setup awhile now, this weekend I finally finished it after I picked up the Perfectwave DAC.
I now have a little corner of the house I can call my own, the mrs. loved it too which was a plus, she actually sat there listening to music for the first time ever, and she was pretty impressed.

May 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #18,013 of 41,062
Had a vision of doing a nice little headphone station setup awhile now, this weekend I finally finished it after I picked up the Perfectwave DAC.
I now have a little corner of the house I can call my own, the mrs. loved it too which was a plus, she actually sat there listening to music for the first time ever, and she was pretty impressed.

Your little corner is awesome.

beerchug.gif

May 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #18,014 of 41,062
Very good point Kojaku.

I love my HD800. It's a great headphone. Revealing, spacious, cristal, energic sound. But it hates "bad recordings" (not always bad music) and can make you "dislike" some musics.
In the other way i love my LCD2. It makes the music sounds better than never. So called "euphonic" sound.

May 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #18,015 of 41,062

Had far too much time on my hands last year. Wait, WHAT, I joined in 2012, well.. Um. I've been at this for a lot longer than I thought.. 

Anyways, just buy a budget headphone, which you already have, so leave. Or else, you won't have any money, ever!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back