Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #17,806 of 41,101
  Nice. Wish I had that kind of skill. I have a vintage 70's kenwood receiver (very similar to your pioneer) that wasn't stored properly and needs repaired. I tried cleaning it myself but it's beyond my help :frowning2:

Indieman, it's worth it & may not cost you as much as you think.  My Kenwood  KA-8006 (1974) given to me by my brother needed cleaning, recapping & a couple of small adjustments & I think it only cost me around $65.00.  It was worth every penny.  Those vintage amps from the 70s & up were truly well made & aesthetically they're great looking.  Another thing I was told by the technician who fixed it is that the WPC on the vintage amps & the ones on today's amps aren't the same.  I'm not tech savvy so I can't explain what he said but what I seem to have understood is that the WPC back then were more powerful if that makes any sense.  Maybe somebody reading what I'm writing who understands this kind of stuff can collaborate what I'm saying.  Bottom line is IMHO someone who has a vintage quality amp thinking about getting it fixed should do it.  They're a totally different animal. 
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #17,808 of 41,101
head on over to audiokarma.com  theres a ton of info and knowledge there on vintage amps. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #17,809 of 41,101
Very nice piece. I like it a lot!

I'm not familiar with the brand name of the tuner-amp.

What is it? Sapini?

I think I may have met the mother and father, though.

Actually, I loved my AJ15 a lot; knew every coil's tuning 'stiction' and could align the slope discriminator while half asleep.

Quote:
  Here you go.  Are those K272HD?

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #17,812 of 41,101
Not really a listening station post but I do have pics.

My older 840s headband snapped and I'm still trying to figure out how I can build a new one. Next to my monitor in my office.

I often listen while relaxing on my sofa next to a south facing window. There's a Pan Am hidden somewhere behind all that sunshine glow.

Sometimes this all you need. Trying to EQ the bottom end on the M-100. I've changed the EQ a bit since this was taken. This is a very fun combination by the way. X5->E12->M-100. And yes, I am using line out to the e12 so please ignore the high gain and volume level (was previously testing X5 alone with LCD-2).

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #17,813 of 41,101
Me too. My 90's harman/kardon receiver I posted awhile back still sounds great, and I found a probably 80's ish fischer audio receiver at goodwill of all places that surprisingly works and still sounds good. I use that one with some home made floor standing speakers. I need to take pics lol  

Vintage all have amazing headphone out's.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #17,814 of 41,101
Vintage all have amazing headphone out's.

Great photo buddy! Have you had the fostex long? I can't remember seeing them on your previous pics... Though I'm normally lookin at the spec to be fair :D

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #17,815 of 41,101
Great photo buddy! Have you had the fostex long? I can't remember seeing them on your previous pics... Though I'm normally lookin at the spec to be fair :D

Thanks bud.

Got them in November. Sold a D5000 and Edition 8 to make it happen. Was in the end worth it as it answered the many questions I had about how good they are. I've since had Mark Lawton do his magic to them. The Spec drives them nicely.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #17,819 of 41,101
Looks like a great listening space, with the desk next to your listening chair? I see the paper clip headphone hanger too. :)

Yeah, it's been a couple years of getting the room set up just how I wanted it. The wife thinks it's the most comfortable room in the house as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back