Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #16,501 of 41,463
First time you touch one you'll change your mind. They're built like tanks.

Also, relative to price...they are cheap.

I've been casually thinking of getting one for awhile, but I've been worried about build quality. Your praise may have put me over the edge.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #16,502 of 41,463
ssrock - Over the last two weeks I have owned the XDA-2, and now just arriving today the DC-1. My XDA-2 died within 2 days (hence the reason for the DC-1). However, if build quality is your concern, that should immediately be thrown out as a reason to purchase something from Emotiva. From the two DAC's I have seen, the build quality is absolutely second to none in this price range. Heck, just FEEL one of their remotes and you will know what I mean. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #16,503 of 41,463
I've been casually thinking of getting one for awhile, but I've been worried about build quality. Your praise may have put me over the edge.

I actually went to emotiva up in Franklin , and was very impressed with the build quality, before settling on the wadia, I had tried the stealth DAC, the DC-1 , very nice stuff, great price, and I was impressed with the folks there!

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #16,504 of 41,463
  How does the Emotiva look in person? I know it's gotten high praise, but every time I see a photo of one it looks a little...cheap. Maybe it's just the bright LEDs that make it seem so.

Build quality is fantastic! Don't let that or sound quality deter you. For this price, it will be very hard to find something comparable. Can't seem to find much differences between the Lyr and the Mini-x... apart from a brighter and slightly more detailed sound signature. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #16,506 of 41,463
  Nice setup. The Beyer DT models can go for miles with DAC, amp, and cable upgrades.

Thanks! They sure do, I've had them for a few years now and they still hold up. They sound great through my 70's Harman/Kardon receiver
beyersmile.png

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #16,507 of 41,463

Congratulations!  That must be one small room.

Thanks all!! Yeah it is a small room, my bed is to the right, meeting the wall, and to the left there's a small bookcase and then wall. That really was the best place for the speakers
redface.gif

in the meantime im modding an old pair of Realistic Minimus 7 mini-bookshelves and it's coming along great!! I've got a thread about it and I'm working on making progressive updates to it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #16,509 of 41,463
  @FOX1201 I spy a bass in the background :wink: 

And what kind of monitors are those if you don't mind me asking. They look really nice and clean. 

haha that sure is 
biggrin.gif

The monitors are Gemini SR-6's. They sound as good as they look! 

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #16,513 of 41,463
haha, iFi iDAC, iCan + iTube and also the Gemini USB cable.

The headphones are German Maestro GMP 400, great headphones, really love them, with the stack you can really tailor the sound, as they are quite neutral.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #16,515 of 41,463
Had the chance to audition the Calyx Femto, Luxman DA-06 and Auralic Vega toady at Addicted to Audio supplied by my laptop via an Audiophillio and hooked up to a Liquid Gold powering my AB-1266's... Ended up walking away with the Vega and some other goodies
beyersmile.png

Purchases for today are; the Auralic Vega, Thor PS10 Power Conditioner, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, some Isotek EVO GII Optimum Power Cords and have an Oppo BDP 103D on order. Cannot recommend Addicted to Audio highly enough, great bunch of people....
  Though my wallet disagrees, luckily pay rise is just around the corner
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back