Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #16,111 of 41,133
  Changed things up. Plus some updated gear. 

Would you like to trade bodies? No, but in all seriosuness, I've wanted the Soloist and the Schiit Stack for a long time, and if you ever need to get rid of it, I'm very, very generous when it comes to trading. 
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #16,113 of 41,133
great pics

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #16,114 of 41,133
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #16,115 of 41,133
Horrible pictures I know but I got an horrible camera so wcyd :D Gotta borrow my brothers camera someday.
I did some comparisons between the amplifiers I own. 
Lehmann black cube diy copy trashes the amplifiers I have. The sound is amazing, altho q701 does only work with Luxman imo since it's way to sharp but HD650 is amazing with the lehmann.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #16,117 of 41,133
Dec 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #16,120 of 41,133
I looked up the Spud amp and from what I found its a speaker amp, correct? And clearly yours has a headphone out. Any info?

I am not sure the true history of the term 'Spud Amp", and a few designer/builders claim to have coined the phrase or built the first, but this is my understanding:
Spud amps use one tube per channel = two sections of a multi section tube are used differently as driver and output instead of using separate driver and output tubes.
These amps were nicknamed 'one-tubers' which became 'tuber' and finally 'Spud'. 
Most I had seen were only 2 tubes; speaker only; and OTL = no output transformers.
When I saw a Jef Larson built 'Spud' with a rectifier tube, output transformers AND headphone output on sale, I jumped on it.
I thought with the headphone output and all the extra iron, why is this a Spud?
So I asked Jef, "Is this amp a Spud?"
He sent me the schematics (labeled Spud 4ns) and explained:

"This is the original "Spud" amp ... as far as I know I am the originator of this design.
Started making these about 8 years ago. This is my 5th or 6th one.
This is my version 4 which employs screen regulation for more linear performance
and to reach full power correctly.
For a while, a friend out of Chicago was marketing kits for this (ver2).
I don't think he is around any more. He sold about 20 of them I think."
I like to consider her a Super Spud and will call her "Red Bliss" even though she is a sweet potato...
She is the only one I have seen with tube rectification, output transformers and headphone out...  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back