Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #12,586 of 41,463
Quote:
Still moving in, rearranging, and haven't even touched my speaker rig yet... but here is my headphone rig, as of now. Unfortunately, I moved from a huge room, into a smaller one but it works and at least most of my stuff fits. It's ironic because I used to live in a condo, but since have moved into a full-fledged house. But the rooms are smaller... go figure (classic California matchobox houses). So far I'm very happy with my setup, the LCD-2.2 are on their way out soon though. Makes me sad, because I spent so much time on their wood finish. Oh well, their new owners, whoever they might be, are in for a real treat.

I'm glad to see pictures of yet another Liquid Glass out in the wild. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #12,587 of 41,463
Quote:
Still moving in, rearranging, and haven't even touched my speaker rig yet... but here is my headphone rig, as of now. Unfortunately, I moved from a huge room, into a smaller one but it works and at least most of my stuff fits. It's ironic because I used to live in a condo, but since have moved into a full-fledged house. But the rooms are smaller... go figure (classic California matchobox houses). So far I'm very happy with my setup, the LCD-2.2 are on their way out soon though. Makes me sad, because I spent so much time on their wood finish. Oh well, their new owners, whoever they might be, are in for a real treat.

Quick comparison of the Mad Dogs and Sennheisers there would be much appreciated :D
Also, do you think the power conditioner makes a difference as you scale up? I've been considering one since they're selling rather cheap now

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #12,588 of 41,463
Quote:

Forgive me, but I love the wood look. I currently own a wood desk myself, but it is in need of replacing. Where did you get yours, if you mind me asking?

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #12,589 of 41,463
Sick setup, Greed. I recently purchased the HD 650's and it always makes me feel good to see them among such a nice headphone collection. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #12,590 of 41,463
Quote:
Quick comparison of the Mad Dogs and Sennheisers there would be much appreciated :D
Also, do you think the power conditioner makes a difference as you scale up? I've been considering one since they're selling rather cheap now

I really just got one for piece of mind tbh. I can't really see the logic in someone telling me cleaner power will result in better SQ. So if you just want to protect your investments, especially if you have sporadic power, you might want to get one. For me, I'm just happy none of my toys will fail because of a surge. And yea, I picked up this power conditioner for chump change compared to my equipment. I was pleasantly surprised how much they have gone down from the last time I was considering buying one. I opted for the Belkin, just because I'm still not a believer in power conditioning and increase SQ. I will get on that comparison, need some more time with the Mad Dogs, before I can genuinely give it a review.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #12,591 of 41,463
Quote:
Forgive me, but I love the wood look. I currently own a wood desk myself, but it is in need of replacing. Where did you get yours, if you mind me asking?

I actually picked this up from Ikea, the last time I went. Maybe a year ago? It was a full laddered bed with a desk underneath, but I loved the look so much that I basically chopped it, and gave the bed to a nephew. He loves his bed because it has a ladder, and I love the desk, very functional.

Quote:
Sick setup, Greed. I recently purchased the HD 650's and it always makes me feel good to see them among such a nice headphone collection. 
wink_face.gif

Indeed. I love the HD650 for the mark it made in the headphone market. I still use them daily when I don't want to power up my LG. They work great for movies, gaming, and background music when I'm working or doing homework.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #12,592 of 41,463
I don't know what power conditioning can do to benefit or detract from sound, but I do know that having good power is very important especially for an amplifier.

Once, I plugged my Crack into a cheapo surge protector (not power strip, surge protector) and the sound was very noticeably more constrained, muddy, and muffled. At first, I actually thought that my Crack had broken and I resoldered some of the joints as it didn't occur to me that the surge protector could be causing it. It was a pretty frustrating couple of days. Then I remembered that I recently started using a surge protector so I unplugged my Crack from it and plugged it into the wall.

Instant change, it was back to being the amplifier I remembered and fell in love with. I've often given the disclaimer "it's not night and day" when comparing differences between DACs, amps, and tubes. However, this case was NIGHT and DAY. It makes sense in that an amplifier is literally taking the electrical signal from the wall and the source and feeding that into your headphone.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #12,593 of 41,463

Newest purchase, Heir Audio 4.Ai+! So small.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,595 of 41,463
Quote:
I don't know what power conditioning can do to benefit or detract from sound, but I do know that having good power is very important especially for an amplifier.

Once, I plugged my Crack into a cheapo surge protector (not power strip, surge protector) and the sound was very noticeably more constrained, muddy, and muffled. At first, I actually thought that my Crack had broken and I resoldered some of the joints as it didn't occur to me that the surge protector could be causing it. It was a pretty frustrating couple of days. Then I remembered that I recently started using a surge protector so I unplugged my Crack from it and plugged it into the wall.

Instant change, it was back to being the amplifier I remembered and fell in love with. I've often given the disclaimer "it's not night and day" when comparing differences between DACs, amps, and tubes. However, this case was NIGHT and DAY. It makes sense in that an amplifier is literally taking the electrical signal from the wall and the source and feeding that into your headphone.

I can relate with that. My Burson amp had some hum issues with just about every source I tried with it (about 7) and I couldn't find out what the problem was for the life of me. Then I realized, that it could be a grounding issue. Of course, just my luck, it was and a simple adapter fixed all my problems. Electricity is very finky. Just to be clear, a power conditioner is not a surge protect, a power condition can have a surge protector feature, but not vis versa.

Quote:
That's a really nice, clean setup you've got going there, Greed.

Thank you very much, I enjoy it a lot.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #12,597 of 41,463
It looks absolutely stunning.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #12,598 of 41,463
Quote:

Very nice! A+, no...maybe A-, only if there was some STAX 
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #12,599 of 41,463
... spies LG and HD800... wonders why he needs Stax?? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back