Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11,134 of 41,121
Just a quick question - the Mac mini is a digital transport, no? With an SSD to boot. I fail to see the point of the wood and brass.
I mean, discussing the sound quality of different cables is one thing, but I don't believe for one second that anyone would be able to hear any actual difference sq wise whatsoever between a digital transport on brass spikes and one without them. How is there even a discussion on this? Far out. This is brilliant pebbles territory.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,135 of 41,121
Quote:
My current bedside rig. The Bushmaster and DT880's are a match made in heaven :)

Bedside rig ey? I have a portable setup, a setup for my desk, and the biggie for my living room. Starting on building a system for my bedroom, but what I never thought of was a rig specifically for my bedside!!! Wonderful!!!! Thank you so much! You just gave me another reason to justify buying more gear!!!

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #11,136 of 41,121
Quote:
Just a quick question - the Mac mini is a digital transport, no? With an SSD to boot. I fail to see the point of the wood and brass.
I mean, discussing the sound quality of different cables is one thing, but I don't believe for one second that anyone would be able to hear any actual difference sq wise whatsoever between a digital transport on brass spikes and one without them. How is there even a discussion on this? Far out. This is brilliant pebbles territory.

Im sure the vibration of the system could translate into unwanted noise. Think about when you are jogging and the cable continously slaps your side: you can definitely hear that transmit. But I think your questioning whether a MacMini with an SSD would vibe enough to warrant such an extensive anti-vibe setup. I have two ideas on this:

a) Although Im not sure what other equipment the person has (need to scroll back up to see which setup you are talking about), but usually the higher end the equipment you have, the more likely you are to hear noise from ambient disturbances (static from the circuits, actual vibration from the source, etc). So for someone with my setup, where the highest end piece of equipment I have is my Wharfedale Evo2-30s and my HD650, chances are, at the volumes I'd normally run, I would hear absolutely NO difference from running components such as stand alone transports (which people like because of the simplified, and hence quieter circuitry and machinery), power conditioners, super expensive cables that cost more than any single piece of equipment, or even anti-vibe stuff like what you are describing. But for some people with very high end, very sensitive and very loud equipment, I can see how trying minimize little stuff like that could add up to a much cleaner sound.

my other thought is:

b) **** like wood and brass just looks so damn nice!!!!!!!! Its beautiful stuff! Even if it gave no real tangible audio benefits, its just beautiful to look at. If you prize your setups as much as they do (and as much as I do) and could afford nice accents like that, why not? I try to make setups look as aesthically pleasing as possible, and if I had th ecash for some nice brass spikes or really nice high end dense wood, I would totally go for it. I really admire some of the setups I've seen here; some more for the furniture they have than the actual equipment!

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #11,137 of 41,121
Quote:

Greetings _nomad. To keep it brief, yes it's a Mac mini music server. Yes, the pix is a shot of one of my experiments at a moment in time (not final). And make no mistake, I'm not out to convince anyone to believe what they will...or won't.

However...

...failure to see - discussing the sound quality - digital & brass - and brilliant pebbles? Your view is an indictment IF you have no hands-on/ears-on experience with these materials inside the listening room. Though, speculating can make for interesting chat. I leave now under the impression that some of you have this firm belief that digital is somehow immune to environmental stuff. And that Silent One is
tongue_smile.gif
 looney! Trust me, he is of sound mind. Now, if I were to drop the 36 lb tweak on your BIG toe, then....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #11,138 of 41,121
There's supposedly some valid science behind vibration damping for electronics, but it's really not for this thread*.

*Which means if you keep posting about it, I may have to start deleting posts. Please practice self-moderation.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #11,140 of 41,121
Not much in the way of my entire setup present here, but a glimpse at what I've been listening to of late with the Mad Dogs (haven't ordered myself the new Alpha Pads yet). Also, I apologize for the fact that this went through an Instagram filter; the original is on my phone and it's a pain to get it off of that.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #11,141 of 41,121
Quote:

PS1 - $25
PS1 Mods/parts - $75
Sennheiser HD598s (not shown) - $250
Woo Audio WA6 - $620
Nordost Frey RCAs and Brahma power cord - $2,800
Having your priorities in order: priceless

Holy f$@king ****. Contrasting those Nordost with the rest of the rig. But why? You're just as about as insane as I when I purchased almost 14 meters of Crystal Piccolino double run cables. Btw, how's the PS1 1002's I presume as a transport? Having heard good stuff about them I'm about to dive in one to get it tube buffered or Lampizarated.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #11,142 of 41,121
I had the cables left over from a two-channel stereo system I have since sold. The power cord is overkill but I love the RCAs in this setup. The PS1 is purr-fect with a tube amp. I use it for a transport and DAC. It's a model 5501 that's been modded with audiophile-grade caps and metal-film resistors feeding aftermarket RCA terminals directly off of the Asahi Kasei AK4309AVM DAC chipset (its an excellent DAC and the source of the PS1s magic). The power supply was recapped and calibrated. The transport was rebuilt and damped. It sounds as good as my Musical Fidelity CD player did (though it doesn't read scratched CDs as well). A guy on Audiogon sells them for $100 shipped. His Audiogon name is djdonis. It's by far the best CD player I have heard for the money. The Oppo BDP-95 and 105 have even better DACs if you can swing the extra dough.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #11,143 of 41,121

My current portable rig (with a spare IPod)

1. IPod Touch 3rd Generation
  2. IPod Touch 5th Generation
  3. Fiio E17 DAC/Amp
  4. Sennheiser Momentum Headphones
  5. Oakley Spikes (for mood)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #11,144 of 41,121
^--------     EPIC Can Stand!!

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #11,145 of 41,121
Below is one of many pix while conducting listening tests on the mini. Still haven't gone final with the little one yet. There are brass mini discs available to accomplish what the tea kettle is doing, so this isn't permanent. But now my new TT & vacuum tube amp pairing has my attention. :wink:

PS1 - $25
PS1 Mods/parts - $75
Sennheiser HD598s (not shown) - $250
Woo Audio WA6 - $620
Nordost Frey RCAs and Brahma power cord - $2,800
Having your priorities in order: priceless

I'm at a complete loss for words here. Totally speechless.

I think I need to stay out of this topic for the sake of my sanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back