Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #6,618 of 41,202
Quote:

They put a live one in the box, but you know how long postage can take... hopefully they have a good DOA policy.

The cat is preserved by the SQ of the HE-6.  The cats slowly drain the efficiency of the headphones so that they may survive in adorable condition upon arrival.  That's why they're so ridiculously hard to drive.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6,619 of 41,202
Quote:
The cat is preserved by the SQ of the HE-6.  The cats slowly drain the efficiency of the headphones so that they may survive in adorable condition upon arrival.  That's why they're so ridiculously hard to drive.

That makes a lot of sense if you think about it. No wonder.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #6,620 of 41,202
Indeed. Hifiman doesn't use moisture packets, they use KITTENS!

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #6,622 of 41,202
Oh boy... 
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6,627 of 41,202
Quote:
If there's one thing that I can't turn back from when it comes to the flagship planars, it's the blackness of the background. The grainless, breathable (within the image) sound is just too captivating to turn away from. Now, I've heard many many people sing praises of the scalability of the HD-650s, which I can't argue with. But on a purely performance-based standpoint, the planars are more linear, more extended...Not as intimate, but I feel like there's a different league for the flagship planars...(not to say that well-engineered dynamics cannot overcome typical dynamic issues, the HD-800 is a perfect example of that).

Kojaku

"For the price performance" He said. 650's are (even with the new price increase) a third of the price of the flagship planners. I'd expect the flagship planners to be better, blacker backround.. etc, infact I'd expect to "see" John Coltrane never mind hear him for the price they are.
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #6,628 of 41,202
Quote:
"For the price performance" He said. 650's are (even with the new price increase) a third of the price of the flagship planners. I'd expect the flagship planners to be better, blacker backround.. etc, infact I'd expect to "see" John Coltrane never mind hear him for the price they are.
wink_face.gif

Right, but i wasn't really talking price value. I was talking pure performance. Also, i hear that the Revision 2 drivers for the HE-400 are much much more neutral. At that price, the value, for a planar, (not a flagship mind you) is very good. That said, I'll admit to not being a huge fan of the 650s, even when driven well. It's just not as captivating.

Kojaku

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6,629 of 41,202
Quote:
Right, but i wasn't really talking price value. I was talking pure performance. Also, i hear that the Revision 2 drivers for the HE-400 are much much more neutral. At that price, the value, for a planar, (not a flagship mind you) is very good. That said, I'll admit to not being a huge fan of the 650s, even when driven well. It's just not as captivating.

Kojaku

Yeah but he was, my friend..
bigsmile_face.gif
   There's a multitude of threads on the subject. Only.. for me, its still nice to see a headphone such as the 650 competing with the new planners. Even if it is "price per performance" 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,630 of 41,202
Quote:
Yeah but he was, my friend..
bigsmile_face.gif
   There's a multitude of threads on the subject. Only.. for me, its still nice to see a headphone such as the 650 competing with the new planners. Even if it is "price per performance" 
rolleyes.gif

Good point. I think after jumping to flagship planars, it's easy to lose perspective. I remember when price/performance ratio was the most important factor in all my purchases and DIYing...Ah, the old days of the Grado-modding thread...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back