Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5,072 of 41,132
A few new things (and recycled old things) since my last picture.

-Added a bamboo block for placing under the Trafomatic.
-Got the Fostex T50RP.  Modded them.
-The Fostex still had some corrections to be made, so I busted out my old Sony Discman (really good sound) and Behringer graphic eq so I could tweak the sound to my taste for use with the Asgard and T50RP.  I applied a slight v-shape curve to balance out the T50RP.
-The Onkyo only feeds the Trafomatic now.  No eq necessary.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #5,074 of 41,132
I'm still tweaking the T50RPs.  Despite loading them with plasticine and felt, they still sound a tad bit hollow and honky.  Eq'ing them a little, especially about a -1 db adjustment at 1 khz, does wonders.  I'd say I'm about 95% where I want them to be.  After listening extensively some more, I may crack them open and try some new mods.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Asgard is an ideal pairing for the T50RPs.  I think some of the hollowness and honk is due to damping because when I drive the T50RPs with my Yamaha receiver, some of the hollowness and honk goes away.  The Asgard isn't terrible at driving them by any means, but they are far from being ideal, at least IMHO.

But, for now, my mods and eq'ing makes the T50RPs pretty enjoyable.  I can understand some of the planar magic, especially their speed.  I was listening to some fast music tonight and was highly impressed with the transients.

Quote:
Nice setup hodgjy. I know you just got the T50s and you weren't initially impressed with them. How has the modding been going and what did you do? Also, does the Schiit on the left drive them well?

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5,076 of 41,132
Thank you!  The Trafomatic is gorgeous on the ears, too!  I've never heard my HD600s sound better.  I fell into the deal of a lifetime here in the FS section.  So glad I did!

Quote:
Nice setup hodgjy.

Quote:
Nice eye candy. The Trafomatic is a looker.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #5,077 of 41,132
Not really an update, but  have some new..."toys" on my desk...

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5,079 of 41,132
Mar 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #5,081 of 41,132

My beginners set up:
Sources: iPad 2 with LOD into old RadioShack receiver & old DVD player that no longer plays DVDs but plays CDs into the same receiver
Headphones: Alessandro MS1 and Sennheiser HD438 (with ugly chrome removed)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,082 of 41,132
Nice looking setup.  Those old Radio Shack receivers were sometimes hidden gems.

What type of heat does it put out?  I just saw you're potentially blocking the vents with your DVD player.
basshead.gif

Quote:

My beginners set up:
Sources: iPad 2 with LOD into old RadioShack receiver & old DVD player that no longer plays DVDs but plays CDs into the same receiver
Headphones: Alessandro MS1 and Sennheiser HD438 (with ugly chrome removed)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #5,083 of 41,132
I would say hold off a bit. The current line up does not inspire much confidence...

Quote:
Zombie do you think the vita is worth it at the moment with the current line up of games?

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #5,085 of 41,132
I keep all my expensive headphones in silk bags in the crate, you just can't see them clearly :wink:. I just don't have room to have everything out. That's why there is a milk crate there..

But I am careful when taking care of my headphones. The T1's never go in the crate, but everything else does. The T1 goes back into it's case, or gets hung on the end of my gears rack. 

Quote:
The horror! 
basshead.gif
  Those cans deserve more respect than tossed into a milk crate!  I would be more than happy to prop them on display in my home.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back