Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4,097 of 41,317
Sort of. Shallow depth of field describes that there is a blurred background. The term bokeh talks about the nature of the blurring (smooth = good bokeh, or harsh = bad bokeh, etc.). 

That's just semantics though. Nice photo! Nice rig. :)

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #4,098 of 41,317
LOOK WHAT YOU GUYS DID TO ME... after only four months from blank desk to:

the worse is that, more are coming....

I sure hope you're not using the D7000 with the Lyr... yikes. Noise galore. Though it looks like you are.

Bad combo, IMHO. That and the Lyr busted one of my drivers on my first D7000... and that was without raising the volume... I just wouldn't trust it...

As for me, I's still deciding on whether I'm going Bifrost+Asgard, Yulong D100 alone, Dacmini alone, NFB-5 alone... so many choices, but I'd prefer an all-in-one, though the Bifrost+Asgard looks nice. The Lyr was way too much amp for the D7000 and recessed the mids a bit too much for me with the two sets of tubes I used.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #4,099 of 41,317
I almost said something, but didn't for some reason. Hiss and that driver blow out still scares me. I stopped using mine with the Lyr pretty quick.

Quote:
I sure hope you're not using the D7000 with the Lyr... yikes. Noise galore. Though it looks like you are.
Bad combo, IMHO. That and the Lyr busted on of my drivers on my first D7000... and that was without rasing the volume... I just wouldn't trust it...
As for me, I's still deciding on whether I'm going Bifrost+Asgard, Yulong D100 alone, Dacmini alone, NFB-5 alone... so many choices, but I'd prefer an all-in-one, though the Bifrost+Asgard looks nice. The Lyr was way too much amp for the D7000 and recessed the mids a bit too much for me with the two sets of tubes I used.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #4,100 of 41,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy 
Bad combo, IMHO. That and the Lyr busted on of my drivers on my first D7000... and that was without rasing the volume... I just wouldn't trust it...

Originally Posted by MorbidToaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost said something, but didn't for some reason. Hiss and that driver blow out still scares me. I stopped using mine with the Lyr pretty quick.

Are some Lyrs defective or does that model actually destroy D7000 headphones? (For some odd reason.)

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4,101 of 41,317
The D7000 is almost IEM efficient. Pairing it with a powerplant like the Lyr was a bad idea to begin with.

At the time that the Lyr busted my first D7000, I believe two other people with Ed. 8s had their drivers blown by the Lyr. This is from knowledgeable people with plenty of headphone experience.

I'd just advised against it for safety's sake.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4,104 of 41,317

Quote:

The DACmini looks gorgeous and has some impressive technology behind it.  Have you read the stuff on their website?

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #4,105 of 41,317
The DACmini looks gorgeous and has some impressive technology behind it.  Have you read the stuff on their website?

Yeah, I'd love to have it, but it's just damn expensive, and I'd need to spend $100 extra for the 1ohm output mod. $900 is a bit hard to swallow, whereas $500 (D100), and $700 (Asgard+Bifrost) is quite a bit easier. If the DacMini sold for $700 w/1 ohm mod, I'd have bought it already.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4,106 of 41,317
Hey man thanks for your kind advice, I actually read about ur busted driver before plugging in and I have ready maveaux saying that he plugs the d7000 to the lyr all the time and no problem so far, so that's why I used it. I think i'll be looking at another amp though~

as for your problem, I guess I can contribute, I've listen to the dacmini, the d100 and the music fidelity mdac, they were all pluged onto a stello CD player playing authentic cds. Honestly, out of these 3, I will pick a dacmini anytime regardless if I have money or not. the d100's amp section is just plain awrkward. I haven't tried its dac part alone, but I feel like project86's review is not growing on me as he described.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4,107 of 41,317

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to have it, but it's just damn expensive, and I'd need to spend $100 extra for the 1ohm output mod. $900 is a bit hard to swallow, whereas $500 (D100), and $700 (Asgard+Bifrost) is quite a bit easier. If the DacMini sold for $700 w/1 ohm mod, I'd have bought it already.

Would the default 10 ohm really interfere with the D7000s that much?  

Honestly though, having gone this far out, you might as well shell out that extra $200 for long term happiness.  There is a Dacmini with $700 asking price.  I'm sure you can hack it down a bit and send it to Centrance for the mod if you want.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593613/centrance-dacmini-for-sale

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #4,108 of 41,317
Those are great pictures guys!  I added the cMoy to my system.  This picture shows it being used with a Xicon 412-112055 AC adapter.  Very enjoyable amp!

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4,109 of 41,317
My Fiio E9 has a 10ohm output. It makes the bass loose and uncontrolled, whereas it sounds nice and controlled off the measly E7 (with it's very low output impedance). Rule of thumb is to have at least 1/8 the headphone impedance coming from your amp. So for the Denon's 25ohm, I need amps with less than 3ohms more or less.

weipim, doesn't the background noise bother you?

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4,110 of 41,317

Quote:
My Fiio E9 has a 10ohm output. It makes the bass loose and uncontrolled, whereas it sounds nice and controlled off the measly E7 (with it's very low output impedance). Rule of thumb is to have at least 1/8 the headphone impedance coming from your amp. So for the Denon's 25ohm, I need amps with less than 3ohms more or less.
weipim, doesn't the background noise bother you?

I'm aware of that general suggestion but many people prefer pairing Beyerdynamic T1 or HD 800 with OTL amps of 100+ ohm output impedance.  Perhaps the dampening factor is more crucial for the low output impedance of the D7000.

Did you check out that Dacmini for sale?  You might be able to get the whole thing including the mod done for less than $800 if you bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back