Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,007 of 41,463

Quote:
I still would stray away from using any of the HiFiMan ortho's with either the Auditor/Phonitor. Those amps have an output impedance of 10Ohms and can eb used with headphones at 80Ohms or higher. Remember output impedance multiplied by 10. Both amps are more aimed for high voltage output rather than current. That's why they clip really fast with low impedance loads. They struggle to output the current required. All HiFiMan orthos, except the HE-400, are low sensitivity and low impedance. They need a lot of current for them to sound good. 

Anyways I'll be posoting new pics soon for my set-up. Oh and my Soul Reaver headphone stand is kind of on hold right now. Too much going on in my life to work on it at the moment.

Quote:
Unlike dynamics, orthos don't suffer from impedance mismatching problems.

Exactly...damping factors and orthos are really a concern. kwkarth mentioned this a while ago and my personal experiences have confirmed it. Heck, even on my WA22, I prefer the high output impedance setting with my LCD-3s. But for dynamics, the low impedance setting works quite a bit better.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,008 of 41,463
Realy? Heck you learn something new all the time. I'm a dynamic headphone man and thought it applied to both.

Quote:
Unlike dynamics, orthos don't suffer from impedance mismatching problems.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4,009 of 41,463
Ham on rye is great but tales of ordinary madness is great. I prefer his short story collections over his novels. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #4,010 of 41,463

Quote:
Realy? Heck you learn something new all the time. I'm a dynamic headphone man and thought it applied to both.

I never understood this.

Planars don't have physical movement that needs to be dampened, but they still present an electrical load to the amp, which can affect frequency response.

Is this correct?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4,011 of 41,463

Quote:
I never understood this.

Planars don't have physical movement that needs to be dampened, but they still present an electrical load to the amp, which can affect frequency response.

Is this correct?

But the load across the frequency spectrum is flat with orthos...quite different from most regular dynamics:

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4,013 of 41,463
Quote:
I never understood this.

That's backwards.  Planar magnetics need lots of mechanical and acoustic damping.  There has to be so much of it that it usually seems to make differences caused by electrical damping unimportant.

Planars are also almost completely resistive loads with an impedance that doesn't change over the audio band so the FR isn't affected either.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4,014 of 41,463
Thanks for the info, guys.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4,015 of 41,463
do they still cause power loss with a low impedance can and high output impedance?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4,017 of 41,463
Quote:
Most dynamics don't fluctuate as bad as the hd800...

Pretty much all of the higher end Senns and Beyers do that to some degree though.

Also, a little zoom will show the differences more clearly since Headroom's scale on the impedance graphs is a huge compromise.

Q701  LCD-2

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #4,018 of 41,463
my WA2 doesn't have enough power for the LCD-2, i'm sure even though they can tolerate impedance mismatching more, they still need enough power, something my otl can't give my lower impedance LCD-2

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #4,020 of 41,463

bedside rig
                                                                                                  Rediscovering Cds again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back