Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 4, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #38,926 of 41,463
Got to love a little early morning tube glow.

20231004_055418.jpg

The sound is as heavenly as it looks. :grin:
Beautiful amplifier. What headphones are you running plus tubes?

I have the Cayin HA-3A and I hope to one day get either the HA-6A or HA300mk2

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #38,927 of 41,463
Beautiful amplifier. What headphones are you running plus tubes?

I have the Cayin HA-3A and I hope to one day get either the HA-6A or HA300mk2
Thanks! I am using a pair of ZMF Verite Closed for headphones, and they sound flat out incredible.

The tubes I am using are very special, and for power tubes it's the Elrog ER300B, driver tubes are GEC (Hammersmith Factory) VR135 Welded Plates from the 40's, and rectifiers are Sicte 22DE4. The Elrog's are still attainable being they are new production, but my drivers and rectifiers are as rare as they come.

I have heard great things about the 3A, and happy listening.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #38,928 of 41,463
Thanks! I am using a pair of ZMF Verite Closed for headphones, and they sound flat out incredible.

The tubes I am using are very special, and for power tubes it's the Elrog ER300B, driver tubes are GEC (Hammersmith Factory) VR135 Welded Plates from the 40's, and rectifiers are Sicte 22DE4. The Elrog's are still attainable being they are new production, but my drivers and rectifiers are as rare as they come.

I have heard great things about the 3A, and happy listening.
Haven't seen you around much, or maybe it's me that hasn't been around much. Either way -- while you have always had the most enviable of HP amp rigs, you have completely outdone yourself with this rig. Absolutely stunning!! I can only assume you rush home from work every day in anticipation of a listening session! :D

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #38,930 of 41,463
Haven't seen you around much, or maybe it's me that hasn't been around much. Either way -- while you have always had the most enviable of HP amp rigs, you have completely outdone yourself with this rig. Absolutely stunning!! I can only assume you rush home from work every day in anticipation of a listening session! :D
Indeed everyone with a tube amplifier has to rush home as it takes a long time for the tubes to fully warm up! I usually give it about an hour before I start listening.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #38,931 of 41,463
You haven't been around much. Wes has been around since early man came out of the cave.

Probably haven't seen him because I don't hang around the TUBE threads much anymore. He was/is a real asset in sharing his tube exploits. He's turned me on to several sleeper tubes that still represent amazing price/performance value -- even at today's tube prices. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #38,932 of 41,463
Indeed everyone with a tube amplifier has to rush home as it takes a long time for the tubes to fully warm up! I usually give it about an hour before I start listening.

Seriously? I listen within 5 mins of warm up. It's a myth that it takes an hour to warm up the tubes. I know because I've been through 13 tube amps and countless tubes.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #38,933 of 41,463
Hey Bro! It's been awhile, and it's great to hear from you. This rig is definitely keeping me up very late and up very early as well, just to get as much listening time as possible. I definitely rush home from work, and the first thing I do when I get home is fire up that amp. :grin:

You gonna be making it to CanJam Dallas by chance? I will be there both days, and would love to meet in person. I am super excited and will most likely be camped out wherever ZMF is going to be.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #38,934 of 41,463
Seriously? I listen within 5 mins of warm up. It's a myth that it takes an hour to warm up the tubes. I know because I've been through 13 tube amps and countless tubes.
I start listening within 5 minutes as well and it sounds great immediately, however I do think the sound relaxes/opens up a bit more after about 30-40 minutes.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #38,935 of 41,463
I start listening within 5 minutes as well and it sounds great immediately, however I do think the sound relaxes/opens up a bit more after about 30-40 minutes.

Sure it gets better at 30 mins but you might as well warm up your ears at 5 mins. :wink: You don't want to burn up good tubes with 25 mins of warm up.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #38,936 of 41,463
Wait. Y'all turn your tube amps off?? :xf_confused:

:smirk:

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #38,938 of 41,463
I thought about the planet the first time or two, but I got over it. I made a deal with 'The Planet' -- I'll buy my electricity from Wind and Solar power companies, buy carbon off-sets, plant a tree, etc. It's all good. :smirk:

** I'm kidding. I turn my tube amps off anytime I'll be taking more than 1 hour break from listening. With the price of tubes, I'd be crazy letting them run 24x7 and burning them out.

Now back to pics of HP stations...

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #38,939 of 41,463
NOOOO its a thinner sound if the tubes are not fully warmed up. The vocals aren't as full and the bass does not impact as much!

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #38,940 of 41,463
Pro tip: Before a listening session with cold tubes, place tubes in the microwave for 5 minutes. Take them out and immediately place them in your amp and power-on. Be sure to use oven mitts. **

** I'm kidding. DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back