Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 3, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #37,381 of 41,294
That window really looks fascinating: the curving horizontal metal bars & the two oval whatever-they-are (light fixtures? hockey masks for aliens?), which also have interesting metalwork.

They’re cycle helmets

May 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #37,382 of 41,294
That window really looks fascinating: the curving horizontal metal bars & the two oval whatever-they-are (light fixtures? hockey masks for aliens?), which also have interesting metalwork.
Interesting that you noticed that... It's the original iron work from the 60s. The place was originally a government subsidised aapartment.

That green glass is also original stuff from the first build. It casts a green light over everything so it can be a bit hard for headphone glamour shots 😆

May 3, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #37,383 of 41,294
Sony WM1A>Penon OSG Cable>Penon Globe

DSC_0065.jpegDE.jpeg

DSC_0069.jpegQWE.jpeg

So here is the deal, I've spent a few days with the OSG and the Penon Globe. Now I'm not saying the OSG is the very best ever for the Globe playback.......but it kinda is? What is happening is the stage is way more grand, probably bigger than you would guess by looking at the price point of everything in this set-up? But just the fact that it's bigger forward, to side side and to the back.................not to mention up and down. Such a stage is accentuating the already magic Penon midrange........but it is taking the mids now over the top. I can kind-of describe the effect as totally correct and natural placement and positioning along with this ever so slight warmth. But the bass is more dramatic coming from a blacker deeper background and somehow everything is just more balanced? It's like the OSG is taking the Globes BA timbre and alining it more to the ultimate tone? Now I remember why I like hybrids the best, all over again!

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #37,384 of 41,294
20230503_142712.jpg
Didn't take long for one of them to keep me company
No offense intended or anything, but I'm really pleased you posted the pic of the cat and not your derriere. 🤣

May 4, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #37,385 of 41,294
No offense intended or anything, but I'm really pleased you posted the pic of the cat and not your derriere. 🤣

Probably couldn't be arsed to post the "behind the scenes" pics :D

May 4, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #37,386 of 41,294
52869870285_2d25629033_k.jpg

I managed to get a Naim Uniti Atom HE for a pretty good deal (I think). paid around USD2.2k for it. it was a demo set in mint condition with protective stickers still intact. the remote control has seen better days though, but still works fine. my OCD will get the better of me, so may just see if I can order a replacement remote from somewhere.

connected it on LAN, did a factory reset. setup was a breeze and Roon detected it immediately. such a nice convenient little unit! would have preferred the 4pin xlr hp out to be on the front tho, but really not a big deal since my hp cables are all 3m length.

sound wise it is really quite good. loaded up my Utopia 22 eq on Roon for it's endpoint, and am enjoying using it for quick and dirty listens. it doesn't have the richness or lush sound of my tube pre/amps but I wasn't expecting it to. plus I also don't need to wait for any tubes to warm up. I think it'll serve me great for what it was designed to be.

May 4, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #37,388 of 41,294
It's kinda messy, but this is my setup which allows me to listen to both Electrostatic and Dynamic and Planar. I'm waiting for the Dan Clark Corina. Hopefully soon the STAX X9000. I heard it and was blown away. I'm also thinking about the Caldera, but if I get it I'll have to sell a pair or two. I've placed a limit on the number of headphones that I can have. :L3000: All three amps are great and that little HEADA is really something! It's musical and transparent and has 2Watts of power. Hmmmm... the Abyss AB1266. But then I'd have to sell more headphones. :triportsad: Must keep the balance.

Attachments

• 20230504_082605.jpg
    20230504_082605.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230504_082626.jpg
    20230504_082626.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #37,389 of 41,294
52869870285_2d25629033_k.jpg

I managed to get a Naim Uniti Atom HE for a pretty good deal (I think). paid around USD2.2k for it. it was a demo set in mint condition with protective stickers still intact. the remote control has seen better days though, but still works fine. my OCD will get the better of me, so may just see if I can order a replacement remote from somewhere.

connected it on LAN, did a factory reset. setup was a breeze and Roon detected it immediately. such a nice convenient little unit! would have preferred the 4pin xlr hp out to be on the front tho, but really not a big deal since my hp cables are all 3m length.

sound wise it is really quite good. loaded up my Utopia 22 eq on Roon for it's endpoint, and am enjoying using it for quick and dirty listens. it doesn't have the richness or lush sound of my tube pre/amps but I wasn't expecting it to. plus I also don't need to wait for any tubes to warm up. I think it'll serve me great for what it was designed to be.
Sweet system, sweet picture!

May 4, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #37,390 of 41,294
It's kinda messy, but this is my setup which allows me to listen to both Electrostatic and Dynamic and Planar. I'm waiting for the Dan Clark Corina. Hopefully soon the STAX X9000. I heard it and was blown away. I'm also thinking about the Caldera, but if I get it I'll have to sell a pair or two. I've placed a limit on the number of headphones that I can have. :L3000: All three amps are great and that little HEADA is really something! It's musical and transparent and has 2Watts of power. Hmmmm... the Abyss AB1266. But then I'd have to sell more headphones. :triportsad: Must keep the balance.
@hifilove indeed HEADA is an awesome solid state amp :) Can't live without it. Congrats on great setup mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back