Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 15, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #37,186 of 41,454
Nothing too fancy, I just replaced the DAC with Lumin P1.

L1000834-4.jpg

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #37,187 of 41,454
Do the math.
My last physics lesson was quite a few years ago… But shouldn‘t that equal something like a little bit more than 3W in this case? That would still be more than the requested 2W.

Hard to know until you run them out of an amp with a lot more power.
Well, better is (almost) always possible – if you invest enough money:wink:. But I do know that they sing:gs1000smile:. And what (non-speaker) amp would have a lot more power? And be in a comparable price range?

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #37,188 of 41,454
70E9FC58-F3E9-48B2-87EF-EF3044822ED9.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #37,189 of 41,454
My last physics lesson was quite a few years ago… But shouldn‘t that equal something like a little bit more than 3W in this case? That would still be more than the requested 2W.

Without measuring we can only assume that the power curve is linear, but often it is not.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=6700+mW+at+32+ohms+=+x+mW+at+50+ohms

I don't know where you get the requested 2W figure from, but most of us have concluded around 10W @ 50 ohms is a safe figure. However, current is more important than voltage with planars.

Well, better is (almost) always possible – if you invest enough money:wink:. But I do know that they sing:gs1000smile:. And what (non-speaker) amp would have a lot more power? And be in a comparable price range?

To get the most out of a pair of HE6/SE you need to spend some money on an amp. Emotiva might be in the price range but the cheapest sure-thing I know is a Master 19 for about 1.000 euros.

Again, I'm running mine off an amp with less rated power than yours and I agree it sounds very good. But I know with more headroom it can sound better.

The reason I responded to your post is so that people looking for an amp specifically for HE6 will not buy the A90D, not that it is not a very powerful amp in the price category.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #37,191 of 41,454
head-fi.org, of course:beyersmile:.

By the way, for fun I tried to run the HE-6SE with my Corda Classic which outputs ‘only‘ 5W per channel (if I remember correctly) – and it runs them really well. Kudos to Jan again.

I can't find it on his site, but knowing his other gear, it's extremely unlikely he has any amp that puts out 5W per channel.

By the way, you have to quote power @ load, otherwise the number of watts is meaningless.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #37,192 of 41,454
I can't find it on his site, but knowing his other gear, it's extremely unlikely he has any amp that puts out 5W per channel.

By the way, you have to quote power @ load, otherwise the number of watts is meaningless.
I‘m not even sure if the 5W are correct (and am too lazy to research it :wink: ). I just wanted to mention that the combo is very good as well. I‘m listening to it right now and really enjoy it, punchy bass and all. (Which actually is all that counts for me.)

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #37,193 of 41,454
I‘m not even sure if the 5W are correct (and am too lazy to research it :wink: ). I just wanted to mention that the combo is very good as well. I‘m listening to it right now and really enjoy it, punchy bass and all. (Which actually is all that counts for me.)

I have a Corda jazz-ff that sounds much better than the numbers. I agree with you, Jan really makes beautiful gear :)

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #37,194 of 41,454

Lent my friend the vm1a + sr1b for a couple of days. I get to rotate and enjoy the Abyss and SolP in the meantime. these combos are hard to beat for sheer pleasure and enjoyment.

the evo 400 is the best preamp I've tried so far.. so quiet and so solid in performance with a lovely lush sound. thankfully not really getting the urge to try anything else higher up in the price range.

The Apollon purifi amp seems to have opened up on both ends after a couple of weeks of use. I really don't have any complaints about it, other than that the gloss black finishing is hard to maintain/keep clean. tonnes of clean power, and the adjustable gain and input switch are very useful to have. a nice complement to the tube pre.

meitner dac seems to be getting more usage than the rockna wavedream.. I am enjoying how "controlled" it is. for a dsd upsampling dac, it sure does not sound flat/boring and definitely does not lack in the low end. super fuss free operation, and nice aesthetics too. I have tried it directly into the power amp and the volume control is fab.

switching back and forth between the abyss and solP, I'm glad to have both in the stable. with the components combo, SC cable and AccurateSound filters (neutral, filter1), the Abyss is a great all rounder; everything I play seems to sound amazing. and then on certain genres, I swap to the SolP and the presentation completely changes, sometimes for the better, but never worse.
wha lao, you have the solp too haha. I'm still considering the ferrum stack, am from carousell btw

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #37,195 of 41,454
47886D93-46FF-4BC5-8C64-F38B119D59DE.jpeg

5B1F3D72-0E35-4AFC-8316-8497E641A46A.jpeg

My mobile rig travels in a Peli Case (https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1500).

The configuration is in the signature. Two Ansuz Darkz C2T feet each are placed under the gear. They help with suspension of disbelief making it easy to fall into the music.

Peter from DHC was a true delight to work with on the silver raven skull Y-split. I brought the idea and he realized it using 3D modeling and printing. We went back and forth refining the design. Am a bit proud of the result. Feels good in the hand too when listening.

It is such a pleasure to enjoy music with this small rig. Emotion, groove, enthrallment, listening deeply into the music...

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #37,196 of 41,454
47886D93-46FF-4BC5-8C64-F38B119D59DE.jpeg

5B1F3D72-0E35-4AFC-8316-8497E641A46A.jpeg

My mobile rig travels in a Peli Case (https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1500).

The configuration is in the signature. Two Ansuz Darkz C2T feet each are placed under the gear. They help with suspension of disbelief making it easy to fall into the music.

Peter from DHC was a true delight to work with on the silver raven skull Y-split. I brought the idea and he realized it using 3D modeling and printing. We went back and forth refining the design. Am a bit proud of the result. Feels good in the hand too when listening.

It is such a pleasure to enjoy music with this small rig. Emotion, groove, enthrallment, listening deeply into the music...
lovin that splitter, pretty cool looking design u came up with

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #37,197 of 41,454
New additions: HE1000 SE aka HEKv2 Stealth and the Liquid Platinum.
I was not expecting the LP to sound this good with the XI K (Soekris) DAC. Now I need a new rack.

E56801AC-0F50-41FA-A6D3-8BC46B2DC71C.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #37,199 of 41,454
afaik those are two different models
That’s what I thought. Apparently though it's less confusing to refer to them as the HE1000 SE (stealth edition) rather than the HEKse (Special Edition). The name HE1000 would imply its the first version of the HEK rather than the updated HEKv2 with stealth magnets also sold under the HE1000 name. I think I got that right.

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #37,200 of 41,454
That’s what I thought. Apparently though it's less confusing to refer to them as the HE1000 SE (stealth edition) rather than the HEKse (Special Edition). The name HE1000 would imply its the first version of the HEK rather than the updated HEKv2 with stealth magnets also sold under the HE1000 name. I think I got that right.
Your message is more confusing than the actual models lol
HEK, HEKse, HEKv2, HEKv2 SE
Replace the K with 1000 if you'd like.
Those are the models I'm aware of.. most important is you like whatever you have. Hifiman should've made it easier for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back