Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #34,036 of 41,128
I thought about contacting you on that G109-A several times. Wish I would have pulled the trigger on that one as it was a great deal!
Yeah, I loved that amp to pieces. It was the first serious headphone amp I got.

At the time my only serious headphone was the Fidelio X2 (which I still have & enjoy). After I burned it in and tried the X2s on it, my mind was thoroughly blown. Had no idea a good standalone amp would make that much difference. I've been a Violectric/Lake People fanboy ever since.

I only sold it because most of my headphones and cables now are balanced...and I have a V281.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #34,037 of 41,128
In this era of global warming, I keep my amps in the ‘fridge !!! 🤪🤣🤣🤣:5752108D-3DD3-488B-BB58-210771215A07.jpeg
Have you tried that? I'm a craft beer guy but I don't think I have seen that here in north GA.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #34,038 of 41,128
Yeah, I loved that amp to pieces. It was the first serious headphone amp I got.

At the time my only serious headphone was the Fidelio X2 (which I still have & enjoy). After I burned it in and tried the X2s on it, my mind was thoroughly blown. Had no idea a good standalone amp would make that much difference. I've been a Violectric/Lake People fanboy ever since.

I only sold it because most of my headphones and cables now are balanced...and I have a V281.
My first serious headphone was a X1. My lady uses them now but every time I listen to them they still sound great! I have thought about picking up a pair of X2s since they are relatively reasonable and I would love to hear them on the WA6 or Mainline.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #34,039 of 41,128
Very nice! Thank you for the excellent comparison between the two. I have and love the WA6 but I always have been intrigued by the Tuba. Truth be told the Violectric has always intrigued me as well.

My WA6 is first generation also. I use adapters and run 6EM7s (Sylvania and RCA black plates). Usually I use a Mullard GZ32 or GZ34 for the rectifier tube with great results.

The Violectric is v280 (FE)... a phenomenal AMP. I believe one was listed in classifieds last week. I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some ZMF/Violectric wisdom from @Pharmaboy - when he's not looking in the mirror :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: -- excellent synergy in nearly all pairings due to the adjustable dip-switches.

Re: rectifiers, I am partial to the Philips made (often Mullard or Amperex labeled) GZ34. Specifically, the Sittard plant from late 1950s. It has f30/31 along with X8 / X9 etched in the glass, "X" for Sittard plant.

IMG_2105.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #34,041 of 41,128
The Violectric is v280 (FE)... a phenomenal AMP. I bleieve one was listed in classifieds last week. I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some ZMF/Violectic wisdom from @Pharmaboy - when he's not looking in the mirror :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: -- excellent synergy in nearly all pairings due to the adjustable dip-switches.

Re: rectifiers, I am partial to the Philips made (often Mullard or Amperex labeled) GZ34. Specifically, the Sittard plant from late 1950s. It has f30/31 along with X8 / X9 etched in the glass, "X" for Sittard plant.

IMG_2105.jpeg
Awesome! I will have a Violectric (or family) one day. That's the GZ34 I am running but mine is Mullard labeled.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #34,042 of 41,128
My first serious headphone was a X1. My lady uses them now but every time I listen to them they still sound great! I have thought about picking up a pair of X2s since they are relatively reasonable and I would love to hear them on the WA6 or Mainline.
The X2 was the first headphone that truly locked in with my longtime sonic preferences. Everything up to that point (at least with headphones) was hit & (mostly) miss. Then the X2s came along and I had a revelation: "Here's the sound I need."

I had always liked a certain kind of sound from big audio systems. I had it all figured out by 1990. But the real desktop audio & headphone revelations came just 6-7 years ago.

I've owned 1-2 dozen headphones since getting the X2, and the few that stayed IMS (3 ZMFs & the Final D8000) all give me my sonic preferences at higher levels of refinement and resolution than the X2. But it's not a contest; I still love the sound of the X2, a most relaxing, enveloping, musical design. It's also built like a tank and so well thought out physically. So if you find a good used X2 (the X2HR is said to sound a little different), you really should try one...

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #34,043 of 41,128
The Violectric is v280 (FE)... a phenomenal AMP. I bleieve one was listed in classifieds last week. I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some ZMF/Violectic wisdom from @Pharmaboy - when he's not looking in the mirror :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: -- excellent synergy in nearly all pairings due to the adjustable dip-switches.

I agree on both reports. Both v280 and Sittard gz34. They were on my wall of fame.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #34,045 of 41,128
The X2 was the first headphone that truly locked in with my longtime sonic preferences. Everything up to that point (at least with headphones) was hit & (mostly) miss. Then the X2s came along and I had a revelation: "Here's the sound I need."

I had always liked a certain kind of sound from big audio systems. I had it all figured out by 1990. But the real desktop audio & headphone revelations came just 6-7 years ago.

I've owned 1-2 dozen headphones since getting the X2, and the few that stayed IMS (3 ZMFs & the Final D8000) all give me my sonic preferences at higher levels of refinement and resolution than the X2. But it's not a contest; I still love the sound of the X2, a most relaxing, enveloping, musical design. It's also built like a tank and so well thought out physically. So if you find a good used X2 (the X2HR is said to sound a little different), you really should try one...
Sounds like we have had similar experiences. I'm a long time 2 channel stereo guy but really just got into headphones about 5 years ago. Couldn't agree with you more regarding the Fidelio X1/X2. They have the solid bass and large sound stage that I enjoy from a good 2 channel speaker system.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #34,047 of 41,128
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #34,048 of 41,128
Love that DP47!

It's great but I'm struggling whether to keep it as I also have the Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge. I need to free up some gear to fund some money sucking 300b tubes.

and this DP47 is in mint condition. Perfect all round. Not a scratch or blemish. It's begging to stay with me. Perhaps I might consider some el cheapo 300b tubes instead. :ksc75smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #34,049 of 41,128
It's great but I'm struggling whether to keep it as I also have the Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge. I need to free up some gear to fund some money sucking 300b tubes.

and this DP47 is in mint condition. Perfect all round. Not a scratch or blemish. It's begging to stay with me. Perhaps I might consider some el cheapo 300b tubes instead. :ksc75smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Yeah I would hold on to that DP47. They are only increasing in value. Those Japanese direct drives from that era are works of art. I have a JVC QL-A75, Sony PS-X75 Biotracer, Pioneer PL-L1000, and several others from that era that I will not get rid of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back