Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #34,022 of 41,128
That's a pretty clean looking rack. Where did you get the rack?

Thank you! I spent many hours looking around for a new rack and am still not 100% on keeping this unit. Build quality seems decent / took ~45 min to assemble with power-screw driver.

This is the company --> https://www.fitueyes.com

I was going to put the Rockna top-shelf - but not totally confident (yet) as it's my first purchase from this company (previously unknown to me) :sunglasses:

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #34,023 of 41,128
@jonathan c you're not the only one... @David222 congrats on brilliant setup. Concerning @jonathan c comment: I had both silver and black Rockna WL and the black one has darker background and darker sound signature 🤣

May I ask which amp you prefer most with Rockna?

Thank you Alek! I've not clocked enough hours just yet - will have report back soon! I have a feeling the answer(s) will be headphone (synergy) dependent :wink:

Apologies also to this group for not threading my last few responses (shame on me) :deadhorse:

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #34,024 of 41,128
Aug 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #34,025 of 41,128
In this era of global warming, I keep my amps in the ‘fridge !!! 🤪🤣🤣🤣:
5752108D-3DD3-488B-BB58-210771215A07.jpeg

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #34,026 of 41,128
Very nice! How do you like the Tuba compared to the WA6?

I find them to be totally different and complimentary:

Tuba: almost sounds SS - but with a smoothness/flow that most SS cannot deliver. I use Tuba primarily for synergy with Focal Clear (OG) as it takes the edge off the top end of the Focal and brings them into near perfect frequency response (to my ear). The Tuba is very punchy, extremely clean and quite resolving.
Grado's also play nicely here. Favorite tube pairing are Tungsram silver plates.

WA6: Much warmer than Tuba - but by no means muddy/tubey. It's both detailed and dynamic. A great all-arounder that punches above it's price-point. I find the WA6 does a wonderful job in accentuating the "grado growl" / grado house sound that I personally love. ZMFs and Sennheiser also play very well with the WA6, as long as the user is thoughtful when tube rolling/pairing. The rectifier seems to have much more impact on the overall sound profile. I modded with a Synergistic Research Purple Fuse - which I find helped push this AMP the extra-mile (thanks to @jonathan c for much guidance)

It's worth noting to avoid confusion - that my WA6 is newly built / customized with 6DE7 sockets to allow for 6SN7 rolling via adapters vs. 13DE7 that are somewhat limiting on the standard WA6 model. Additionally, I have a custom (pure) pass-through on back to daisy-chain DAC.

IMG_0897.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #34,027 of 41,128
I have a 1st Generation WA6 (with the 6DE7 sockets). I agree with David222’s comments. To my thinking, the biggest difference between Tuba and WA6 is solid-state rectification vs tube rectification: conversion of AC to DC to feed the amp circuitry. The next difference comes from EL84 s in Tuba vs 6SN7 s / 12AT7 s via adapters in WA6. With tube rolling, different shades of tone may be had thereafter.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #34,028 of 41,128
I find them to be totally different and complimentary:

Tuba: almost sounds SS - but with a smoothness/flow that most SS cannot deliver. I use Tuba primarily for synergy with Focal Clear (OG) as it takes the edge off the top end of the Focal and brings them into near perfect frequency response (to my ear). The Tuba is very punchy, extremely clean and quite resolving.
Grado's also play nicely here. Favorite tube pairing are Tungsram silver plates.

WA6: Much warmer than Tuba - but by no means muddy/tubey. It's both detailed and dynamic. A great all-arounder that punches above it's price-point. I find the WA6 does a wonderful job in accentuating the "grado growl" / grado house sound that I personally love. ZMFs and Sennheiser also play very well with the WA6, as long as the user is thoughtful when tube rolling/pairing. The rectifier seems to have much more impact on the overall sound profile. I modded with a Synergistic Research Purple Fuse - which I find helped push this AMP the extra-mile (thanks to @jonathan c for much guidance)

It's worth noting to avoid confusion - that my WA6 is newly built / customized with 6DE7 sockets to allow for 6SN7 rolling via adapters vs. 13DE7 that are somewhat limiting on the standard WA6 model. Additionally, I have a custom (pure) pass-through in the back to daisy-chain DAC.

Very nice! Thank you for the excellent comparison between the two. I have and love the WA6 but I always have been intrigued by the Tuba. Truth be told the Violectric has always intrigued me as well.

My WA6 is first generation also. I use adapters and run 6EM7s (Sylvania and RCA black plates). Usually I use a Mullard GZ32 or GZ34 for the rectifier tube with great results.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #34,030 of 41,128
Very nice! Thank you for the excellent comparison between the two. I have and love the WA6 but I always have been intrigued by the Tuba. Truth be told the Violectric has always intrigued me as well.

My WA6 is first generation also. I use adapters and run 6EM7s (Sylvania and RCA black plates). Usually I use a Mullard GZ32 or GZ34 for the rectifier tube with great results.
The Violectric V200 (older SE amp) is wonderful with high impedance h/p —> Beyer DT880/600, Senn HD600/650/6XX, ZMFs…

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #34,031 of 41,128
Aug 15, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #34,033 of 41,128
The Violectric V200 (older SE amp) is wonderful with high impedance h/p —> Beyer DT880/600, Senn HD600/650/6XX, ZMFs…
As is the V281. That's good with every headphone I've tried.

My recently departed Lake People G109-A was also terrific with high impedance dynamics.

I think anything Fried Reim designs is going to sound pretty good with just about any headphone...it's solid state done totally right IMO.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #34,034 of 41,128
Thank you! With the recent addition of the Mainline I have found my end game tube headphone amp. I'm looking for an end game solid state (or tube hybrid) headphone amp and Violectric/Lake People is on my short list.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #34,035 of 41,128
As is the V281. That's good with every headphone I've tried.

My recently departed Lake People G109-A was also terrific with high impedance dynamics.

I think anything Fried Reim designs is going to sound pretty good with just about any headphone...it's solid state done totally right IMO.
I thought about contacting you on that G109-A several times. Wish I would have pulled the trigger on that one as it was a great deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back