Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3,331 of 41,366
There's a few threads around here with that comparison and it was one I was really curious about to. I decided on the 8004 because of all the things it could do and I needed a place to (re)start my head-fi journey.

Quote:

i'd really like to be able to test out a SA8004 and compare it with my OPPO.

I used it with the Audio-gd DI and avoided the USB in. Either way I recommend it a lot around here because it's really the ultimate 'start and building block' piece. You get so much in the unit and even when everything else is upgraded you can feed it to your DAC for your CDs. It even has a nice headphone out like most of Marantz's other offerings. 

Quote:
My favorite source I've owned.  Let me see if I can remember them all - 840C, DacMagic, Apollo, Wavelength Brick v.2, Saturn, Rega DAC, MHDT Havana...  I think the SA8004 is a great source for a "typical" head-fier.  You have a good iPod interface, DAC, transport, and "native" SACD capability.  The weak link for me is the USB input, but that is easily remedied with something like a V-link.  My two cents is it's a keeper.   

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #3,334 of 41,366
current state!
green glow

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #3,338 of 41,366
Very interesting.  I'm glad to hear you love the setup.  I do have a question, if you don't mind me asking.  Do you listen to fast-paced music (metal, etc.)?  I've been curious to know how the HD 600 cope with fast paced music as I'm debating between it and the HD 598.
Quote:
Haha thanks. Of course when it's actually all hooked up and sitting on my desk it doesn't look nearly as neat :) Does sound good though.

Thanks! It's sort of hard for me to objectively say. Once I get into something I typically research then buy what I (hopefully) will keep for a long time with few steps in between (all the decent cans I've heard I currently own and are in my sig).

With that said; I think for me I've reached an excellent price/sound point and don't intend to upgrade any time soon. The HD600s continue to amaze me at how good they are at everything I throw at them. The Asgard has more than enough power (since adding the Bifrost I rarely go above 9) and is dead silent even all the way up. The Bifrost is...interesting for me, since it's my first proper DAC. Going from using my laptop's headphone jack to the Bifrost it definitely sounds better, but it's not the sort of difference that immediately jumps out at you. Things are just more detailed and clearer; I find I can much more easily pick apart or focus on specific parts of a song; yet at the same time music sounds much more properly musical for lack of a better term. I suspect being able to hear a lot more of the subtle little details really helps pull a song together.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3,339 of 41,366

Quote:
Very interesting.  I'm glad to hear you love the setup.  I do have a question, if you don't mind me asking.  Do you listen to fast-paced music (metal, etc.)?  I've been curious to know how the HD 600 cope with fast paced music as I'm debating between it and the HD 598.

I have recently been listening to some orchestral, a lot of remixes (techno, trance, glitchy electronica etc.) a couple game soundtracks, my older Linkin Park CDs and some anime music. To my ears the HD600s have sounded excellent with all of it.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3,340 of 41,366

I found the 598 too boring for metal and its supposed to be faster paced and more energetic than the 6xx series. Great texture and soundstage though.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3,342 of 41,366

Quote:
I have recently been listening to some orchestral, a lot of remixes (techno, trance, glitchy electronica etc.) a couple game soundtracks, my older Linkin Park CDs and some anime music. To my ears the HD600s have sounded excellent with all of it.

Thanks for your insights.  Is the sound lively or musical? 

Quote:
I found the 598 too boring for metal and its supposed to be faster paced and more energetic than the 6xx series. Great texture and soundstage though.

Thanks.  Is there any way to make the 598 more faster paced?

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #3,343 of 41,366
New bedroom system is finally up and running. But just barely. The Burson HA 160D came today, it's just starting to get its feet wet, though I definitely like it so far. A worthy upgrade over the Lyr.

The cable with the LCD2s is from Norse Audio. And they are hanging on a Woo Audio stand, really nice btw.

The stand is a stainless steel AV component rack from Boltz furniture. It weighs over 100lbs, so vibration is essentially null.

There is a W4S DAC2 in the living room waiting for an amp. It was previously paired with the Lyr. I plan on putting a WA22 with that set up, and float the LCD2s back and forth until I can afford a pair of 3s, late Feb if I am lucky.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3,345 of 41,366
Just got an email from Jack that my wa3 has been shipped, omg im so excited, i suffer PSWAS(post shipping waiting anxiety symptom). I have a very simple setup of a pc with HT omega halo claro to wa3 then to my hd650, it's my first setup, and hopefully i will upgrade or expand it soon. Will share picture when i have them hook up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back