Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3,286 of 41,454

Very nice!  How is the PRaT on the HD600 compared to your Grado?  I have read a lot about how the Asgard seems to really love both Grados and Sennheisers.  Is it toe-tapping good for both?

Quote:
Haha thanks. Of course when it's actually all hooked up and sitting on my desk it doesn't look nearly as neat :) Does sound good though.

Thanks! It's sort of hard for me to objectively say. Once I get into something I typically research then buy what I (hopefully) will keep for a long time with few steps in between (all the decent cans I've heard I currently own and are in my sig).

With that said; I think for me I've reached an excellent price/sound point and don't intend to upgrade any time soon. The HD600s continue to amaze me at how good they are at everything I throw at them. The Asgard has more than enough power (since adding the Bifrost I rarely go above 9) and is dead silent even all the way up. The Bifrost is...interesting for me, since it's my first proper DAC. Going from using my laptop's headphone jack to the Bifrost it definitely sounds better, but it's not the sort of difference that immediately jumps out at you. Things are just more detailed and clearer; I find I can much more easily pick apart or focus on specific parts of a song; yet at the same time music sounds much more properly musical for lack of a better term. I suspect being able to hear a lot more of the subtle little details really helps pull a song together.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3,287 of 41,454

Quote:
those AKG 550s are some nice looking headphones.  Are they worth the 300 dollar price tag?

Yes they are.  I love them.  With the D7 and flac downloads from HD Tracks they are amazing.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,288 of 41,454
My temporary setup (STAX SRM-T1 is not mine, it was given me by a friend for about until 10 January... I'm in process of ordering WooAudio GES for my SR-507 right now):

Even in this setup SR-507 is beating HE-6 for Me, so I'm afraid even think of what will be with upgraded GES 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,289 of 41,454
very nice. wish i could get into electrostats. but i don't know how good the cheaper ones are. plus i would buy a GES as well.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,290 of 41,454

Quote:
My temporary setup (STAX SRM-T1 is not mine, it was given me by a friend for about until 10 January... I'm in process of ordering WooAudio GES for my SR-507 right now):

Even in this setup SR-507 is beating HE-6 for Me, so I'm afraid even think of what will be with upgraded GES 
smily_headphones1.gif

You need a new desk or an audio rack of some sort.

There's just too much going on.

Besides that, it still looks like a formidable man cave setup.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,291 of 41,454
Quote:
Sorry, really need to ask. Although I already posted my Head-Fi station a page or so back, I forgot to ask something regarding the Sennhesier HD650's. Has anyone tried the Burson HA160DS or HA-160D with both the HD650 and the AKG K7XXX series? If so, how do they sound? I'm getting my Burson in a few days and update everyone with some pics of how it looks. 
biggrin.gif

The Burson 160 amp section was designed with the HD650 at hand, they go very well together.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3,292 of 41,454
Uh, nope..
Consoles with absolutely nothing just bare system start at like $37-44 USD
Ones that have most of the stuff but may not include a controller or AC adapter and some may include a game, system has yellowing and scuffs/chips etc start at like $55 on amazon used section for Nintendo NES Consoles. There's one I'm lookin at on ebay comes with everything and 4 games $75 plus like 8 or 9 buck shipping. I'm mad because I asked if it included TV connection cable and power cord etc and he said "Console includes everything..." like I'm an ignorant guy who didn't read the post that says "NES Console, 2 controllers and 4 games" :p

but yeah theyre more than that as collectors items. ones that are special and go for like >$800 or so (maybe thats SNES idk) have the original packaging and everything included at purchase too. I have the original SNES console and like 9 games I havent counted lol, and like 3-4 old NES games that went to my console that's who knows where... :frowning2:

go to local play and trade if you have one. they sell used NES systems all the time(well mine does) also really? the one in my play and trade sells them for like 40 bucks and it comes with 2 controllers and all necessary adapters. nes games are like a buck or so as well.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,293 of 41,454
Well they don't have any stores near me and nothing older than the PSP and original DS is on their website :frowning2:

Quote:
go to local play and trade if you have one. they sell used NES systems all the time(well mine does) also really? the one in my play and trade sells them for like 40 bucks and it comes with 2 controllers and all necessary adapters. nes games are like a buck or so as well.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,294 of 41,454

Quote:
Sorry, really need to ask. Although I already posted my Head-Fi station a page or so back, I forgot to ask something regarding the Sennhesier HD650's. Has anyone tried the Burson HA160DS or HA-160D with both the HD650 and the AKG K7XXX series? If so, how do they sound? I'm getting my Burson in a few days and update everyone with some pics of how it looks. 
biggrin.gif

I listened to the HD 650 extensively with the Burson and Peachtree Decco at 32 Ohm last summer. I also enjoyed the HD 650 with a Schiit Asgard in my home for a couple of weeks. Honestly, they all sounded the same to me. I wouldn't own the Burson simply because of it's annoying (to me) stepped volume control.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your impressions when you get it.

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #3,296 of 41,454
very nice. wish i could get into electrostats. but i don't know how good the cheaper ones are. plus i would buy a GES as well.

I feel exactly the same way. Anyone want to tell us how lower end(under $1000) Stax compare to other cans in their price range.
Any links, ive been trying to search this to no avail forever.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #3,299 of 41,454

Quote:
I feel exactly the same way. Anyone want to tell us how lower end(under $1000) Stax compare to other cans in their price range.
Any links, ive been trying to search this to no avail forever.

I bought my used 507 for $675 on Audiogon and even new they cost a little lower than $1000. As for comparission they are in one class of sound quality as HD800 and HE-6 and the sound signature is little alike (as example LCD-2 has different signature and even different ideology of sound IMO). I currently think that I would probably sell HE-6 because the 507 gives me the things that I like in HE-6 and gives me some other good points: the 507 gves the feeling that music not connected to headphones (HE-6 also gives that effect, but in 507 it's just fantastic), they sound compleatly free and the sound is very detailed but not bright and not getting me fatigued from it, the speed and bass are very good, ... So for My tastes 507 is probably best HP I ever heard, but for people who searching more like LCD-sound (less detailed, but full-bodied and "warm" sound) I don't think they will like 507 (and HE-6 too) because 507 are may be a little too much "air", transparent and "cold" for them.
When I was thinking about what Stax cans I should buy, I read head-fi and some russian forums (I consulted with some Stax-users there through the PM), so this is what I "learned" about Stax after this:
 - 507 and 007 is in one class of sound, they just have different sound signature, but the class level is the same (but the price is quite different, so I decided to not even look on 007);
 - 407 is almost like 507, the main difference is bass, but if change the pads of 407 on the pads from 507 the sound of 407 become almost as 507 (bass too) (but I didn't want to make modifications and I don't like the color, so I decided to buy used 507);
 - 307 is not good as 407 (it's not common opinion, but most of posts I read tells me that);
 - 009  is a comleatly different level compared to any other HP thats exists right now.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #3,300 of 41,454
I bought my used 507 for $675 on Audiogon and even new they cost a little lower than $1000. As for comparission they are in one class of sound quality as HD800 and HE-6 and the sound signature is little alike (as example LCD-2 has different signature and even different ideology of sound IMO). I currently think that I would probably sell HE-6 because the 507 gives me the things that I like in HE-6 and gives me some other good points: the 507 gves the feeling that music not connected to headphones (HE-6 also gives that effect, but in 507 it's just fantastic), they sound compleatly free and the sound is very detailed but not bright and not getting me fatigued from it, the speed and bass are very good, ... So for My tastes 507 is probably best HP I ever heard, but for people who searching more like LCD-sound (less detailed, but full-bodied and "warm" sound) I don't think they will like 507 (and HE-6 too) because 507 are may be a little too much "air", transparent and "cold" for them.
When I was thinking about what Stax cans I should buy, I read head-fi and some russian forums (I consulted with some Stax-users there through the PM), so this is what I "learned" about Stax after this:
 - 507 and 007 is in one class of sound, they just have different sound signature, but the class level is the same (but the price is quite different, so I decided to not even look on 007);
 - 407 is almost like 507, the main difference is bass, but if change the pads of 407 on the pads from 507 the sound of 407 become almost as 507 (bass too) (but I didn't want to make modifications and I don't like the color, so I decided to buy used 507);
 - 307 is not good as 407 (it's not common opinion, but most of posts I read tells me that);
 - 009  is a comleatly different level compared to any other HP thats exists right now.

That was great thanks, and i know what you were talking about when you said free, it was exactly what i thought while auditioning the 009, like you said, it sounds like music, not headphones. How much bass does the 507 have? Im not bass needy. So im wondering if the 407 will give me the Stax sound for cheap while still being balanced enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back