Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 13, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #32,086 of 41,463
I'm either going for 1266 or Stax X9K. Most likely going to be 1266 since I don't have an estat amp yet.

Yes that's the Empys, but I rarely use it as I listen to mostly classical music and that isn't Empy's strong suit. For modern pop I've been enjoying my IER-Z1R due to its bass. I haven't used the Empys much lately 😅
When I first read about the Meze Elite, I mentally dismissed it. Many mfrs seem to be in a rush to make their TOTL headphones/DACs/amps sound less musical, less organic, and less like music in real space.

Then I heard the Elite 3X at CanJam/NYC, and I was dead wrong. This permutation of the Empyrean (at least under show conditions), sounded like a genuine sonic upgrade of the original Empyrean in every way. The bass quality in particular is on another level in the Elite vs OG Empyrean.

I could be wrong. It could be that I'd get the Elite IMS and find things to dislike. But in those 3 brief listens, I was impressed.

PS: I had the Empyrean for awhile ~2 yrs ago and found it to be quite good on classical music, albeit in a rather diffuse way with only middling resolution. But it did get the spacious-sound thing exactly right, which is good on large-scale classical and choral music IMO.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #32,087 of 41,463
When I first read about the Meze Elite, I mentally dismissed it. Many mfrs seem to be in a rush to make their TOTL headphones/DACs/amps sound less musical, less organic, and less like music in real space.

Then I heard the Elite 3X at CanJam/NYC, and I was dead wrong. This permutation of the Empyrean (at least under show conditions), sounded like a genuine sonic upgrade of the original Empyrean in every way. The bass quality in particular is on another level in the Elite vs OG Empyrean.

I could be wrong. It could be that I'd get the Elite IMS and find things to dislike. But in those 3 brief listens, I was impressed.

PS: I had the Empyrean for awhile ~2 yrs ago and found it to be quite good on classical music, albeit in a rather diffuse way with only middling resolution. But it did get the spacious-sound thing exactly right, which is good on large-scale classical and choral music IMO.
Thanks for the input.
The Elite is under my radar but I'm still trying to find one for a demo.
I do find the Empys a bit too laidback and warm for my tastes, so I only use it for specific genres but perhaps the Elite will change that.

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #32,088 of 41,463
z.jpg

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #32,089 of 41,463
3FEBF93A-34AB-417A-9C88-C2F56B12638E.jpeg

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #32,090 of 41,463
20220314_172752_HDR.jpg

I wouldn't exactly call it a "station"​

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #32,091 of 41,463
Well, here are things currently.

I've sold my Susvara and they ship out tomorrow.

The SR009S are borrowed, and I'll do a bunch of listening and review in the next month. I'm not sure if there is any point in keeping the SR007mk2 as well as the SR009S and SR-X9000 (which I plan on trying eventually.) Also financially that doesn't make sense, so maybe I'll just end up with the X9000's, I'm not sure. Perhaps the 009S and the X9000 would make sense as a contrasting pair. Not sure.

CRBNs are still making weird noises beyond what is normal and will be off to get examined by Audeze tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing the CRBNs working fully The small amount I've been able to hear sounds promising so far.

Solitaire P and TC's are great as always, but I'm enjoying the electrostatic stuff as a change of pace : )

IMG_2105 2.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #32,092 of 41,463
Removed

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #32,093 of 41,463
Well, here are things currently.

I've sold my Susvara and they ship out tomorrow.

The SR009S are borrowed, and I'll do a bunch of listening and review in the next month. I'm not sure if there is any point in keeping the SR007mk2 as well as the SR009S and SR-X9000 (which I plan on trying eventually.) Also financially that doesn't make sense, so maybe I'll just end up with the X9000's, I'm not sure. Perhaps the 009S and the X9000 would make sense as a contrasting pair. Not sure.

CRBNs are still making weird noises beyond what is normal and will be off to get examined by Audeze tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing the CRBNs working fully The small amount I've been able to hear sounds promising so far.

Solitaire P and TC's are great as always, but I'm enjoying the electrostatic stuff as a change of pace : )

IMG_2105 2.JPG

amazing setup and lineup!
Any plans to add an Innuos PhoenixNet before the Boulder?

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #32,095 of 41,463
Beautiful system. What's that cone of light coming out of the top of the rectifier tube on the Stratus?
That's not a rectifier tube. That's an IMCO Triplex cigarette lighter.

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #32,096 of 41,463
amazing setup and lineup!
Any plans to add an Innuos PhoenixNet before the Boulder?
Nah no real use for me. I use it directly, never use streaming.

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #32,098 of 41,463
The nfb 11 was my 1st desktop setup my god it was and is still soo good
I have a new AGD R2R-11 MK2 that I finally finished burining in (500 hrs) 2-3 weeks ago. I'm very happy with it!

The DAC is a very nice quality NOS design; not using the HP amp, but it's the usual strong/neutral AGD single-ended amp; and the I/O settings are quite extensive. I'm using the DAC with the very transparent volume pot in-line/affecting the output to two other amps (because I paid AGD to add a 2nd RCA output pair), set ~80%. This allows me to use the two amps with their volume pots set to a more normal/good for ears 11AM-1PM.

That's especially important w/the Monoprice Liquid Gold X (killer amp for planars), which has no low gain setting and very wonky pot behavior @approx 10AM. Problem solved!

I'm a long-time AGD fanboy. This is my 2nd AIO from them; I also own/owned 2 dedicated amps (NOS 19 & DAC-19). Will shortly be selling the DAC-19, a very nice multibit that also has 2 RCA output pairs.

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #32,099 of 41,463
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #32,100 of 41,463
20220316_154739-01.jpeg

I get a small cubicle at work where I like to hide from people and get some peace and quiet.

Dave and Kimber cable belong to a friend. I guess I will have to make do with those whilst waiting for a Schiit Magnius/Modius stack and Forza cable to arrive (lol). Printer usb cable from an Intel Nuc running Roon, with data out of a pocket WiFi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back